• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Palette Swap posted in another thread but this deserves to be spun off.

After the brigaded voting nonsense of 2013-2015 (and the sad Sad Puppies movement), it looks the old guard in SFF are still struggling with how the readership and viewership is getting larger and more diverse.

Keep in mind this was pre-recorded.

www.pretty-terrible.com

George R.R. Martin Can Fuck Off Into the Sun, or: The 2020 Hugo Awards Ceremony (RageBlog Edition)

As I said elseweb, I am thoroughly thrilled by all the folks who won Hugos tonight. I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it until I no longer have a voice to speak: we are living in…

The host for this year's festivities was George R.R. Martin and he spent an awful lot of time talking about John W. Campbell, noted fascist and racist. Pretty sure that between Martin and Bob Silverberg, Campbell (noted fascist and racist!) was mentioned more than the aggregate of the folks being honored. I aged approximately 67 years during Silverberg's segment.

Speaking of Jemisin, Martin made the decision to first mention her unprecedented accomplishment of winning the Best Novel three years in a row–no one else of any race or gender has ever accomplished a Best Novel hat trick–and then attempt to undermine it by talking at great length the time Heinlein won three Hugos in nine years, culminating in some sort of shaggy dog story involving a white dinner jacket and Stranger in a Strange Land. I've forgotten the details because Heinlein is irrelevant to the discussion.

What I haven't forgotten is this: George R.R. Martin repeatedly mispronounced the names of nominees and, in one case, a publication which was nominated. All the nominees were asked to provide pronunciations for their names in advance. The fact that Martin chose not to use that information is disgusting and racist as fuck, as without exception the names he mispronounced were Black and brown. He mispronounced FIYAH, a publication owned, edited, and written by Black people.

There was also a whole segment about the Oscar statuette and its crotch. It was gender essentialist and transphobic. It was so gross I don't even want to talk about it to be honest. CoNZealand tweeted a non-apology apology about it to people who were offended. I'm not particularly gender non-conforming, but if that segment made me feel gross and unwelcome, imagine how it made not only the trans and other gender non-conforming nominees feel, but also all those who were watching. It was a gigantic "fuck you, you're not welcome here."

Nibedita Sen has some polite thoughts on this.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Not too late to take GRRM up on his offer to be imprisoned next to a lake of acid.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for posting this, OP. I missed the Hugos but caught a lot of criticism coming from Jemisin and other authors I follow on Twitter. Your link isn't working btw, so I'm thankful you have some excerpts up.

For anyone who hasn't seen Jeannette Ng's acceptance speech for the formerly-known John W. Campbell award last year, I highly recommend you do so because I can't not see GRRM's praising of the man as an attempt to push back against her words. Not impressive in the slightest.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thread spin off.
What's insane here is that this was all prerecorded and didn't have to go this way.

At a time when SFF is so alive thanks to such a large diversity of voices, it's more than infuriating.

OP
OP
whatsinaname

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for posting this, OP. I missed the Hugos but caught a lot of criticism coming from Jemisin and other authors I follow on Twitter. Your link isn't working btw, so I'm thankful you have some excerpts up.

For anyone who hasn't seen Jeannette Ng's acceptance speech for the formerly-known John W. Campbell award last year, I highly recommend you do so because I can't not see GRRM's praising of the man as an attempt to push back against her words. Not impressive in the slightest.

Damn, looks like the story is picking up steam.

Here's a google cache link.

And yea, I could have written off the GRRM stuff as old person nostalgia but the Campbell name drops make it a lot worse.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To brigade against the puppies and then release this is gross. Wonder how they will fuck it up with the stokers this year (or did those already happen, COVID has me all fucked up on this stuff)

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Here is the video for anyone who is interested. It's like 3.5 hours.
watch.thefantasy.network

Watch the 2020 Hugo Awards

Official livestream of the 2020 Hugo Awards. Hosted by George R. R. Martin. Presented at: CoNZealand, Wellington, New Zealand

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, looks like the story is picking up steam.

Here's a google cache link.

And yea, I could have written off the GRRM stuff as old person nostalgia but the Campbell name drops make it a lot worse.
Thanks for the link. The snippets you posted were pretty damning, but the whole thing is worth a read.

Particularly wanted to point out this part. Because of course this happened.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I swear, I read the OP ten times before I realized the author was talking about John Campbell and not Joseph Campbell. Not the same dude! I mean, Joseph is a little suspect, but not in the same league as John Campbell, based on a cursory glance at his Wiki.

Martin... just why?

Oct 28, 2017
Years ago when the Sad Puppies tried to take over the Hugos GRRM did great work to denounce them, so this is especially disappointing

Just being a bad moderator is one thing, tbh anyone reading GRRM's blog could have foreseen that he'd go way overboard with stories about the"good old days" of SF and someone should really have told him not to do that (especially since it's prerecorded)

But the stuff like him still talking about the Campbell Award without acknowledging the name change (or making fun of it) is on another level and really sucks

And this non-apology on his Twitter is pretty useless (if it's about the Hugos, could also be about his "imprison me in New Zealand if TWOW isn't out" joke since he doesn't actually say anything)

Last edited:

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No wonder Jemisin was so subtly mad last night, she is the fucking queen of sci fi and kicking ass in both books and cómics so this crusty living writer's block is dismissing her acomplishments.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
The Hugos can fuck off at this point honestly, besides Jemisin (deservedly) winning 3x in a row they've been trash for at least 25 years and probably the whole time

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder Jemisin was so subtly mad last night, she is the fucking queen of sci fi and kicking ass in both books and cómics so this crusty living writer's block is dismissing her acomplishments.
I actually caught wind of the fiasco because I was trying to guess what she was subtweeting.

Also, yeah, this goes way beyond Martin. I'd say he was being himself, warts and all, and I'm way more suspicious of the people who chose to put him in a position where it would happen.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Can't finish a book to save his life but has time to wreck the recognition of people who can.

OP
OP
whatsinaname

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
So is this the first ever public broadcast of the awards? Because the tweet chain above indicates it has been a long standing problem.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm really happy the pronunciation thing is blowing out, because I always find it incredibly grating and it tends to be swept under the rug.

You fucks make up languages, use Norse and Germanic names really easily, correct misspelled Tolkien names, but all of a sudden, a name that's too ethnic, too urban or whatever doesn't deserve the same care. FOH.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the link. The snippets you posted were pretty damning, but the whole thing is worth a read.

Particularly wanted to point out this part. Because of course this happened.
I was about to point out the same thing. What a fucking horror show. Some of these events just seem to be lost causes at this point and marginalized people would be better served abandoning these straight cis white male founded and run awards shows to create our own while rubes like Martin continue to circle jerk amongst themselves.

Can't finish a book to save his life but has time to wreck the recognition of people who can.
tenor.gif

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching at the start and tuned out around the time Martin was making jokes that the woman presenting the current award with him was conceived at a Worldcon. When I tuned back in for the final few categories he was telling a long, rambling story about Robert Heinlein having some kind of epic "burst into the room" moment at some 70s Hugos.

Just could not be more out of touch with the actual winners of the night.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Yessh.

Not like I had much interest in the rest of GoT at this point, but this pretty much kills even that sliver.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad Middlegame didn't get it. :(

I've been reading Seanan McGuire for a long time (mostly her work as Mira Grant) and Middlegame is by far the strongest book she's ever written imo. I was pulling for either it or Gideon to win, though I've heard nothing but good things about A Memory Called Empire and it's sitting in my to-read pile.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
I've been reading Seanan McGuire for a long time (mostly her work as Mira Grant) and Middlegame is by far the strongest book she's ever written imo. I was pulling for either it or Gideon to win, though I've heard nothing but good things about A Memory Called Empire and it's sitting in my to-read pile.
Finding out Middlegame's story structure is based on the Alchemical process clinched it for me. She deserved the win.
Then again, I haven't read A Memory Called Empire either, but who can be totally rational when discussing awards?

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I tuned into the livestream after my Twitter feed became full of subtweets. It my first time watching the awards, and I was surprised by difference between the show and the amazing and diverse SFF that's been nominated (and been winning!) for the past several years. Like, it was almost bad enough to make me forget about all the excellent writing by women and minorities that I've been reading. I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't an accurate portrayal of the genre.

I feel awful for anyone who watched it without being well-enough versed in modern SFF.

anamika

May 18, 2018
Why even is GRRM hosting this? What is his claim to fame? Some half finished books and an unfinished story for nearly 3 decades? Are there no better SF writers to moderate these awards?

As mentioned upthread, anyone who has read GRRM's blog would not be surprised by this. He is pretty egoistic and loves reminiscing about the writers of his time. This is the man who equated himself to Dickens, Fitzgerald and Tolkien because they had some unfinished works.
I do intend to finish A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, of course… but doubtless Peake, Dickens, Fitzgerald, and Tolkien would have said the same.

As for the casual racism and disregard for diversity, again, anyone who has read ASoIaF should not be surprised.

Fandom and the book world's regard for this man continues to baffle me. Time for the new generation of SF/Fantasy writers to come to the forefront. Let GRRM fade into obscurity with his unfinished novels like he deserves.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
At least the old white guys aren't winning now.

The nominees and winners were fabulously diverse.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this seems like an even bigger dumpster fire than the Sad Puppies stuff years ago. At least then people were sympathetic to the people running the Hugo Awards.

It's hilariously pathetic seeing how hard the hosts were trying to undermine the nominees and winners, intentionally or not. I'm happy the actual nominees and winners were good, though.

hythloday

Oct 28, 2017
Responding with this is some next level asshole. Fuck him.

He's posted a lengthier apology/explanation here:
file770.com

2020 Hugo Awards

2020 Hugo Design by John Flower CoNZealand presented the 2020 Hugo Awards in an online ceremony today. Full voting statistics are here. Deputy Hugo Administrator Nicholas Whyte’s analysis is here. …

He's saying he was only given phonetic pronunciation info for SOME of the finalists and didn't have contact information for the rest of them to ask them and find out. He's also denying the whole "refusal to re-record incorrect names" thing, saying he complied with 2 out of 3 requests to re-record segments but didn't do one because he didn't have the same props available.

I'll say that I think the event organizers bear a lot of the blame for this (Not giving your host all the pronunciation info is lazy, censoring the BLM background on Zoom is lame and from what a lot of people have said, the event's had big problems for a long time overall) but GRRM has assistants to hunt down all those e-mail addresses for him if he'd really wanted them.

It seems like the Hugo Awards is just a big party of old white authors waxing nostalgic about "the good old days" more than they're about actually honoring new and talented voices in SF/F.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched basically the entire thing and it was awful

Ranging from cringeworthy to just downright offensive it was just bad.

Also N.K. Jemisin said on twitter that she sent her acceptance video in beforehand so if she seemed short or pissed it wasn't anything to do with last night's show. I think the entire process of WorldCon and the Hugos is very draining to her and others and we saw precisely why in part last night.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
There's already an effort to get the story in the top post nominated for a Hugo next year.

FzLC6cQ.jpg

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? Why is Jenny Nicholson's video there lol

MLP is Fantasy, so it qualifies as something related to the field of scifi/fantasy.

This is the same category that Lindsay Ellis' Hob it videos were officially nominated for.

Keep in mind thats an ongoing list of eligible works people have submitted. We're a long way off from official nominations.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
A Memory Called Empire is a damn good novel and I hate that it's gonna get overshadowed by this shitshow

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
A Memory Called Empire is a damn good novel and I hate that it's gonna get overshadowed by this shitshow

I second this. I loved A Memory Called Empire and have been enthusing about it since reading it with my tiny SF bookclub earlier in the year. It's an excellent novel and entirely deserving of the Hugo for Best Novel. Here's hoping folks are encouraged to check it out.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm really happy the pronunciation thing is blowing out, because I always find it incredibly grating and it tends to be swept under the rug.

You fucks make up languages, use Norse and Germanic names really easily, correct misspelled Tolkien names, but all of a sudden, a name that's too ethnic, too urban or whatever doesn't deserve the same care. FOH.
Thissss.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I second this. I loved A Memory Called Empire and have been enthusing about it since reading it with my tiny SF bookclub earlier in the year. It's an excellent novel and entirely deserving of the Hugo for Best Novel. Here's hoping folks are encouraged to check it out.

The Kindle version was on sale a few days ago for $2.99. I bought it on impulse. I have never heard of it before. I hope it's worth the money.

Oct 28, 2017
NK Jemisin's post about her experiences with worldcon in general is also worth reading

This really seems to be the gist of the whole thing. For GRRM and his clique worldcon is a chance to remember the good old days when they were young.

For the new generation of writers it's the site of the most important science fiction awards, and it could be a way to celebrate today's authors, but instead they have to listen to people from the old boys' club tell decades-old in-jokes
(while many of them wouldn't have been included in that club, that instead welcomed open racists like Campbell)

Seems like it's high time for a generational change

Status
Not open for further replies.