• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
So, with the recent Epic deal and the news about the timed exclusive (the game will come to Steam probably one year later), it's nice to see the gaming press didn't underline the fact that PC backers will need to actually pay twice in order to get what they paid for 4 years ago.

People who chose the Steam key will be now delivered an Epic key, and if they want the future Steam version of the game (the one they paid for already), they will need to pay full price for it again.

How this is excusable is beyond me.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't know why I can't say that I want to wait for a Steam key. I will not use the Epic key and if I have no other way I'll have to sell it.

I'll still get my other backer rewards, though.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
C1mGBSvWEAANu9k.jpg

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Phoenix Point showed that the cash from Epic is enough to refund the backers. These people should follow that example!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that people were asked what platform they want, and the redemption system explicitly said Steam instead of PC. And the system requirements had steam too.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect they will cave-in and give out Steam keys when it launches on Steam. It doesn't cost them anything to do so.

OP
OP
YuSuzzune

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Phoenix Point showed that the cash from Epic is enough to refund the backers. These people should follow that example!
Phoenix Point also told they would provide Steam key in addition to the Epic one when the exclusivity is over. And they offered refund. Ys is denying refunds and Steam keys, even later.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
this seems disingenuous. i get people are pissed they have to use the epic store for this but they dont HAVE to buy the game twice, they still get the game, just on a different store.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how they cannot refund people. Rune and PP did so, their games having made less in crowdfunding than Shenmue. They also didn't have the extra backing of Sony and Deep Silver.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Talk about super misleading title. They are getting sent keys for the non-steam version and have to physically request that version if they don't mind the wait.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's free to create an Epic account, so it's not really necessary to pay twice especially considering that it seems it will remain exclusive to it.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
You are missing the point: if you want a STEAM key, the one you opted in for, you need to pay twice.
You are missing the point: if you want a STEAM key, the one you opted in for, you need to pay twice.
This seems like such a first-world problem to me. God forbid you have two apps for games. Like, unless there is a level of forced DRM or something that you didn't have with Steam I really don't get why this is a big issue. Minor inconvenience? Sure. I'll go there. But ridiculous? I don't agree

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
They do have to buy it twice if they want it on Steam.

i get that, and im honestly genuinely asking, but what does steam give a single player game that the epic store doesnt?

Like is this a matter of principal only or will the game have any difference whatsoever if you play it on the epic store vs steam?

This seems like such a first-world problem to me. God forbid you have two apps for games. Like, unless there is a level of forced DRM or something that you didn't have with Steam I really don't get why this is a big issue. Minor inconvenience? Sure. I'll go there. But ridiculous? I don't agree

this is what i keep thinking. like....you open the launcher, launch the game....and never need to interact with the app again?

OP
OP
YuSuzzune

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
i get that, and im honestly genuinely asking, but what does steam give a single player game that the epic store doesnt?

Like is this a matter of principal only or will the game have any difference whatsoever if you play it on the epic store vs steam?
I like to use my DS4 for games which don't support it officially, i like to share screenshots with my friends, I like to unlock achievements, I like to achieve my savegames into the cloud. I can't do any of those with the Epic store.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Your title made me think that they would not convert backers key into Epic keys. As long as I'm getting the game the day it releases I'm happpy.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Steam is in regions that Epic isn't. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means some might not be able to play a game they paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.