• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BramStokersDracula

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2021
Beyond just hippies being filthy, there must have just been an insane amount of teens having sex with adults. Everyone was on drugs, just constantly fucking. My dad hardly remembers the 60's except that he was really high and fucked a lot.

All I can think is that when he was a filthy fucking hippy, stoned out of his mind, fucking anything that moved, that he probably did some really awful things.

He spent the 70's almost entirely in prison, so I guess he paid some of his dues.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
giphy.gif

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be a lot to unpack with that post, but calling every "hippie" fucking filthy is probably not the safest foundation for discourse.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're basing this whole opinion on your dad who spent a decade in prison?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It was a rejection of the values that they saw leading to misery for their peers and parents. The way people interact with each other, especially sexually, is constantly being re-evalulated. There were definitely predatory relationships and conflict caused by it. But it was also like a generation removed from marrying your 13-year-old cousin and having that be only kinda odd.
If you mean filthy as in STDs, probably. It is what it is, sometimes you get burned.

Oct 27, 2017
When people say this forum is a left leaning one.

call all hippies filthy is some bigoted shit and maybe you should take some time to think about what you are saying.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Lots of sex on drugs?!?! Yeah that sounds so nasty and awful *cough*

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Beyond just hippies being filthy, there must have just been an insane amount of teens having sex with adults. Everyone was on drugs, just constantly fucking. My dad hardly remembers the 60's except that he was really high and fucked a lot.

All I can think is that when he was a filthy fucking hippy, stoned out of his mind, fucking anything that moved, that he probably did some really awful things.

He spent the 70's almost entirely in prison, so I guess he paid some of his dues.

why you mad

OP
OP
BramStokersDracula

BramStokersDracula

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2021
What did your dad do to end up in prison?

He did multiple armed robberies with his friends and he was involved in a shootout where one of his pals died. He was going to be in prison even longer but there was a fuck up with the handling of his case and he was released early.

He never went back to crime(besides doing a lot of cocaine in the 80's), but unfortunately his experience in prison turned from a hippy to a staunch conservative.

Oct 26, 2017
The thing that annoys me is that it's that same generation that have and continue to fuck everything up for the following generations.
They got to have their fun in their teens and early 20s yet still got good employment and cheap houses when they were done with all that.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Limitless human expression bacchanals are not generally known for their ordered cleanliness.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they all ended up being the Boomers of today, because they were rich and secure after their rebellious youth and took that security away from following generations.

So yeah, fuck 'em.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I went to a phish festival in 2006 and people just fucked out on the open. Not everywhere but it was super weird when they were halfway thru their set the first night and a large crowd of people were just watching a couple screw on top of a hill.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
He did multiple armed robberies with his friends and he was involved in a shootout where one of his pals died. He was going to be in prison even longer but there was a fuck up with the handling of his case and he was released early.

He never went back to crime(besides doing a lot of cocaine in the 80's), but unfortunately his experience in prison turned from a hippy to a staunch conservative.
So was being a hippie what drove him to crime?

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017

I hope I am not touching a sensitive topic there, but your dad seems to have had a bigger issues than being a hippie, which does not correlate with the experience other hippies had. Sorry you had to experience that as a child.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My father told me about it. There was no HIV and so they were incredibly careless; his description of it was pretty similar to yours OP. But you know, they did all of that, wild sex and drugs, protested for civil rights and against the Vietnam War, but they graduated college with little or no debt, got good jobs, bought homes, etc. The boomers had much better lives than the generations who came after them. Hard to picture our parents carrying on like that though.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's timely for me because I have been working through a great oral history of punk where they kind of sneer at the hippie movement that pre-dated them.

I mean, what's not to like? Progressive politics, an analysis on what post Capitalism could look like, "Turn on, Tune in, Drop Out", a worldwide cultural zenith in arts, partying and sex. Problem with the movement is that even back you had to have a certain level of privilege so their views were a bit naive and narrow because they never really felt the boot of the state on their necks. Some were in it on the long haul and knew what the real shit they were dealing with, others were just hanging out and could kind of block out the bigger and darker connotations of the structure they were criticizing at the time.

It's why Kent State was such a wakeup call; the first time America showed it had no problem killing even innocent white kids (at least widely televised version of this) to keep its various industrial complexes going. I would argue this was it's 'original sin', before you could argue the idealistic view of what an American is (White, blonde, middle class) kept all the machinations in place and justified petty beef against 'communism' and treating black people like second class citizens. That was the moment America said; any of y'all motherfuckers can get it, if you get between me and my paper.

A lesson that's pretty much re-ingrained in anyone who's been here for the last 14th months or so, lol.

mypixelfriend

Jan 7, 2019
The original post does make me want to learn more about that era. Like, there's definitely 'bad and ugly' part of it alongside the 'good.' Sounds like an interesting documentary.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I went to a phish festival in 2006 and people just fucked out on the open. Not everywhere but it was super weird when they were halfway thru their set the first night and a large crowd of people were just watching a couple screw on top of a hill.

Phish didn't play from 2004-2009 though

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

Wow...

This post is so prejudiced, I can't even begin. It's fucking insulting too.

Maybe try to speak with a few persons that were there, read a book or two, try to see things in context... Maybe you could learn a few things.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It was a wild time. You couldn't even make songs like this anymore
I see nor hear no evil
Black writings on the wall
Unleashed a million faces
And one by one they fall

Black-hearted evil
Brave-hearted hero
I am all, I am all, I am

I, I, I, I am
Here we go, buddy
Here we go, buddy
Here we go
Here we go, buddy
Here we go

Go ahead and try to see through me
Do it if you dare (dare)
One step forward, two steps back
I'm here (one step forward, two steps back)
Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it

Can you see all of me?
Walk into my mystery
Step inside and hold on for dear life
Do you remember me?
Capture you or set you free
I am all, I am all of me

I am (I am, I'm all of me)
(Here we go)

I see and feel the evil
My hands will crush 'em all
You think you have the answers
I'll laugh and watch you fall

Black-hearted evil
Brave-hearted hero
I am all, I am all, I am

I, I, I, I am
Here we go, buddy
Here we go, buddy
Here we go
Here we go, buddy
Here we go

Go ahead and try to see through me
Do it if you dare (dare)
One step forward, two steps back
I'm here (one step forward, two steps back)
Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it

Can you see all of me?
Walk into my mystery
Do you remember me?
I am all, I am all of me
(I am, I am all of me)

(Here we go)

I am, I am everyone, everywhere
Anyhow, any way, any will, any day
I am, I am everyone, everywhere
Anyhow, any way, any will, any day
I am, I am, I am
I am, I am, I am
I am
Do it, do it, do it, do it

Can you see all of me?
Walk into my mystery
Do you remember me?
I am all, I am all of me
(I am, I am all of me!)

(Here we go, here we go)
I am, I am, I'm all of me
(Here we go)
I am, I am all of me (me)

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Crip Camp and this thread reminded me of how when there was a crab outbreak and it was bizarre seeing how it was all shits and giggles to them at that time lol What is filthy is relative to time, context, and how sensitive one is to the filthiness, I guess. The crabs part happened at the camp in the 70s, I think.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I mean there was almost certainly a lot of skeevy underaged fucking and misogyny and expectations of sexual servitude, in that I imagine you're right. I don't really know though since I wasn't around and haven't ever studied it.

I remember one episode of Doom Patrol made me wonder along similar lines, where the pressure to be fucked by strangers and friends was clearly unwelcome to one character in particular.

Not an endorsement of your dumb dirty hippy rhetoric, but I can imagine your general sentiment ringing true. I mean look at all the gross shit we know about rock stars fucking underaged groupies...

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
My father told me about it. There was no HIV and so they were incredibly careless; his description of it was pretty similar to yours OP. But you know, they did all of that, wild sex and drugs, protested for civil rights and against the Vietnam War, but they graduated college with little or no debt, got good jobs, bought homes, etc. The boomers had much better lives than the generations who came after them. Hard to picture our parents carrying on like that though.
A lot of that stuff was happening before the Woodstock time and it was used in a lot of ways to destroy the movements that were already happening. The sex and drugs helped LBJ and Nixon criminalize and disparage serious political agendas.

The late 60s and early 70s was when the movements and counterculture were being co-opted and in some cases propped up by some bad forces.

Status
Not open for further replies.