• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posted by their global community manager and EA/DICE employee on Reddit a little while ago :

ua2VZ07
HjLdkX6.png

It just stood out to me because Frostbite has come under recent scrutiny for being an extremely unfriendly and inefficient engine to work with after that crazy article about the Anthem development crunch. One of the more common sentiments in those threads was along the lines of "Sure, other developers will struggle with it, but DICE are the masters and creators of Frostbite, they can make that engine do whatever it needs to do."

I think people who still regularly play Battlefield V and Battlefront 2 can attest to the fact that even DICE seems to be really struggling with their own engine lately. Both games remain very buggy and inconsistent experiences after numerous patches, but even then it's very surprising to see the developer who actually made the engine AND previously specialized in large scale team warfare games with plenty of multi-passenger vehicles be straight up unable to add the feature into one of their premiere AAA titles.

I really hope that EA and DICE move away from the Frostbite engine for future games. It would be nice to see a Battlefield and Battlefront game actually get the polish that those franchises deserve, and I really don't see it happening on Frostbite, which for me at least has become synonymous with "Super pretty screenshots for insanely buggy games."

Oct 27, 2017
It was a mess for Mass Effect according to one developer that worked on it.

It's a mess for Fifa.

When will EA just go back to Unreal.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
How is that possible? Battlefield has multi-passenger vehicles.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a mess for Mass Effect according to one developer that worked on it.

That was super apparent playing the game, those facial animations and hordes of other bugs at launch were ridiculous.

Playing through Dragon Age Inqusition it's very apparent the engine was an issue for devs too

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Did they specifically say it was a Frostbite issue? Because as someone else pointed out, the Battlefield series has plenty of multi-player vehicles.
Also, according to the SWBF wiki, there are other multi-player vehicles.

"Technical" reasons encompasses a whole lot of stuff, not just the engine.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i dunno if they should move away from frostbite for battlefront the game looks great on it, maybe they have to improve the engine only.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't mean its the engine per se. Technical reasons is way too broad to just say its the engine.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Battlefied has multi-passanger vehicles. It likely isn't engine related.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Frostbite looks incredible when DICE is at the helm but it's still the same busted, draconian engine that is halting productions across EA. Take it out back, swallow your pride (and license fees) and start using UE4.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
i dunno if they should move away from frostbite for battlefront the game looks great on it, maybe they have to improve the engine only.
Improving the engine tools would be a relief for every worker at EA. I mean, yeah, EA, push the frigging Frostbite engine to not pay a dime to Epic or Unity or whatever... But make it usable for their workers so they don¡t have to spend days cosulting the IT department.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Frostbite needs to be an easier engine to work with if EA are going to insist their studios use it. It's caused no end of trouble for Bioware (though that's far from the only reason they're in their current state), so it's not too surprising to hear of others struggling with it.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Uh, Battlefield has a ton of multi seat vehicles so it isn't a Frostbite issue.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Dumb thing to infer that the engine itself is incapable seeing as there's been how many battlefields released on the engine with multi seat vehicles?

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Now thinking about it. This may be due to how they have set up the spawning system to work.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they specifically say it was a Frostbite issue? Because as someone else pointed out, the Battlefield series has plenty of multi-player vehicles.
Also, according to the SWBF wiki, there are other multi-player vehicles.

"Technical" reasons encompasses a whole lot of stuff, not just the engine.
This doesn't mean its the engine per se. Technical reasons is way too broad to just say its the engine.
This. It's more likely a game mechanic issue. But let's not let facts stop people from complaining about something they know nothing about.
Dumb thing to infer that the engine itself is incapable seeing as there's been how many battlefields released on the engine with multi seat vehicles?

Can you guys give examples of what else "technical barriers" could refer to? Genuinely curious because you're right, I'm not a game developer.

It's just apparent to me that there's *something* causing the game to be extremely buggy and preventing the devs from fixing bugs in a timely or efficient manner.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt BF5 have multi passenger vehicles? So is it really Frostbite that should get the blame?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
A lot of baseless assumptions around here (as usual when dealing with tech talk)

As others have already said, many Battlefield games had multi passenger vehicles. So It's not related to Frostbite.

About Frostbite: the engine is amazing. Or haven't you guys looked at DICE's games running on it? Those graphics while aiming 60 fps is absolutely sublime.
The problem lies in the tools. It's probably a very hard engine to work with.

EA should make DICE teach every studio of them about how to work with it. The engine was used in the past to make shooters, racing games, sport games, so they have the know how, they just need to have better communication

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you guys give examples of what else "technical barriers" could refer to? Genuinely curious because you're right, I'm not a game developer.

It's just apparent to me that there's *something* causing the game to be extremely buggy and preventing the devs from fixing bugs in a timely or efficient manner.

This has nothing to do with vehicles? What do bugs have to do with multi player vehicles?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a wild leap in logic you took here OP; specifically considering other Frostbite games have multi-passenger vehicles.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
At this point, EA would probably save money by switching to middleware for now and trying a universal internal engine in a few years after putting in the time to make a competent all-purposes engine.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nowhere in that comment F8RGE said that it was specifically frostbite, and it'd be weird considering how a bunch of BF games have multipassanger vehicles. I think he has an account here so we could ask him, but I don't remember his @.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Dice has multi player vehicles in Frostbite for close to a decade now, I doubt that's the technical issue they're talking about. It probably just interferes with other system implemented in the game and wouldn't be worth redoing those, nothing to do with the engine.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I'm well aware that BF V and other Battlefield games do multi passenger vehicles. Hence why I find it odd that there are technical reasons for SWBF2 to not have the same feature in a team based large scale warfare game.

And my layman assumption was "technical barrier" = Engine issue, but I would love to know what else that term could mean in that context.

Like they could have said it was a conscious decision based on their goals for game design and player count (ie, "we want a more straightforward and arcade-y type of gameplay), but they specifically said they *wanted to* or at least investigated it and found technical barriers preventing implementation of a commonly requested feature.

This has nothing to do with vehicles? What do bugs have to do with multi player vehicles?

Second half of my OP post talks about the bugginess of BF V and SWBF2 in general.

I guess I should have said "adding features which have already been in previous Battlefield games to Battlefront."

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

It could be that the respawning system is not designed to spawn multiple players into one vehicle and it would be too much work to rework the entire thing.

Not being able to add new feature is not a bug, it's just technical limitations they didn't foresee.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It could be that the respawning system is not designed to spawn multiple players into one vehicle and it would be too much work to rework the entire thing.

Okay, this makes sense, thank you

They did rework the spawn system to allow spawning directly on squad mates similar to Battlefield, I guess I thought that would help with vehicle spawns too.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
And my layman assumption was "technical barrier" = Engine issue, but I would love to know what else that term could mean in that context.
It would be more productive in the future to ask that question directly, then, and not use it as an outlandish jumping-off point to say "The engine being used across the entire company is apparently buggy as hell, so I hope the next Battlefront/Battlefield should be made from scratch on some other stack".

Technical barriers could be anything from "The gameplay part of the code has tied together spawning of vehicles and players, and separating that association is costly" or "Having 3rd-person cameras means that animated characters with cloth need to be attached to networked vehicles that do not run on predictable paths without visual glitches due to network interpolation" or a multitude of a lot of other things that adds up to "This feature would be too costly to include in a few weeks of development time relative to other features that can be developed in the timeframe we have allotted for this update".

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
OP is making some giant leaps with this thread.

Technical issues can mean lots of things.. doesn't mean Frostbite is a piece of shit.

This is just a thinly veiled EA sucks thread.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
OP, serious question, have you played Battlefield? Or any DICE games this or last gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.