• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

KURAE! The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles brings together two incredible adventures set a century before the events of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney!

This special trailer features an introduction and closing statements from Shu Takumi – the director and scenario writer of the first three Ace Attorney games as well as both The Great Ace Attorney games – that Ace fans absolutely do not want to miss. Never before released outside of Japan, both The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures and The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve follow the escapades of fledgling lawyer Ryunosuke Naruhodo, his trusty legal aide, Susato Mikotoba, the inimitable detective, Herlock Sholmes, young genius Iris Wilson, and a wide variety of weird and wonderful characters.

Ten cases chock full of intriguing mysteries and courtroom mayhem await you, set against the backdrop of 19th century Japan and England. Before Phoenix, there was Ryunosuke. Seems like being an ace attorney runs in the family after all. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles comes to PlayStation on July 27th, 2021!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Long wait, but ok. Both games at once is gonna be so much PW goodness I can barely contain it.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great!! Sucks that its ps4 only, this is a mobile franchise to me.

The first one( fan translated) is amazing and im halfway thru the second.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
this seems like a big deal

I actually been meaning to get back into this series after finishing the amazing Paradise Killer the other day, which has a bunch of key similarities with the Ace Attorney series

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've been waiting for this a long time. I miss the days where Japanese versions would come out pre-localized.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
This is such great news. Honestly I had doubts this would ever happen.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me. I need to finish the second and third game in the collection.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. I already played the first one thanks to that excellent fan translation. I'm down for the official release.

Derenden

Oct 30, 2017

Phoenix Wright's ancestor Ryunosuke
This means Phoenix Wright is Japanese descendant confirmed
comic331_zps0e179cf7.png

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
not that I hate the new look, but it would be neat if they let you switch back and forth with the original pixel art

edit: I'm assuming the games were originally released on DS or 3DS with the same visual style as the original trilogy, maybe I'm wrong

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Well this is unexpected.
Semi-unexpected for me. I'd heard about the first game's localization awhile ago, but now apparently we're getting both of them?! This'll probably be a day one purchase.

IIRC, now the only (officially) unlocalized Ace Attorney is Gyakuten Kenji 2 (AAI2). Would be really awesome if we could get that sometime, but I'm not holding my breath.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not that I hate the new look, but it would be neat if they let you switch back and forth with the original pixel art

edit: I'm assuming the games were originally released on DS or 3DS with the same visual style as the original trilogy, maybe I'm wrong

This game was always 3d, the second one came out in 2017.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Btw, if you want to play something in anticipation of this, I think most people probably haven't played the ace attorney game shu takumi made right before these: Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Which is honestly underrated, and has mechanical similarities to these two.

Oct 25, 2017
Going to buy the crap out of this and hope this is a good sign for the AAI games eventually coming over.

Steam release hype

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Oh shit! I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and this looks so good. Loving all the bonus features this seems to have. Day 1 for me!

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Website seems to suggest that there will be a Physical version for the Switch only, code in a box style.

Time to import the Japanese physical then.
Ohhh, good looking out. I'm in for an import as well, in that case.

Btw, if you want to play something in anticipation of this, I think most people probably haven't played the ace attorney game shu takumi made right before these: Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Which is honestly underrated, and has mechanical similarities to these two.
Is it still worth playing if you don't like the Professor Layton series (it me. I'm the weirdo who doesn't like Layton)?

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Is it still worth playing if you don't like the Professor Layton series (it me. I'm the weirdo who doesn't like Layton)?

The game is definitely heavier on Layton than Wright. I enjoyed the first couple of courtroom scenes, but the later ones really take the story in a Layton direction (if you've played a couple of Layton games, you'll know what I mean). I was pretty disappointed given Takumi's involvement. If I was rating it as a part of the AA series, I'd put it at the bottom just below AA5 and AAI1

That said, it easily has some of the best Ace Attorney music in the series.

Last edited:

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for this announcement for a while. I'll be grabbing it on my switch when it comes out.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its layton heavy, but its easy layton, if thats a consideration. It's definitely a goofy layton (non canon) plot though if thats the issue.

The game is definitely heavier on Layton than Wright. I enjoyed the first couple of courtroom scenes, but the later ones really take the story in a Layton direction (if you've played a couple of Layton games, you'll know what I mean). I was pretty disappointed given Takumi's involvement. If I was rating it as a part of the AA series, I'd put it at the bottom just below AA5 and AAI1

That said, it easily has some of the best Ace Attorney music in the series.
Come on dude, its way better than aai 1. It's tied or maybe a little above aa6 for me, which I also enjoyed but was a little shallow.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's lack of respect for Europe really needs to be called out.

Guess I'll just have to get it from Japan.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Yes! Finally! I'm getting this day one and playing the hell out of both games. I've managed to stay away from the unofficial translations, so this should be good. The release should coincide pretty well with my summer vacation too.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is easily the worst Ace Attorney game by a massive margin. Ace Attorney's writing is really good, while PLvsPW is a collection of horrible anime tropes in a "mystery" that doesn't make sense in the slightest. It's the only Ace Attorney game I would never replay.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Ohhh, good looking out. I'm in for an import as well, in that case.

It's only worth playing if you're a die hard fan of both IP, it's easily the worst AA title (have not played GAA for the record) and second worse Layton title (Katrielle's game is the worst Layton title).

Oct 25, 2017
Gematsu does a good job clarifying all Digital/Physical confusion going on out there:

www.gematsu.com

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles announced for PS4, Switch, and PC

Capcom has announced The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC (Steam). It will launch digitally on July 27 in the west for $39.99 and July 29 in Japan for 4,990 yen. A ph…

Oh, dang. As someone who never picked up any of the Trilogy rereleases of the original games, this is a nice package:
A "Turnabout Collection" will also be available for $59.99 in the west and 6,990 yen in Japan, which includes both The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and the previously released Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy, as well as the art and music bonus "From the Vaults." The PlayStation 4 and Switch versions will be available both physically and digitally in Japan, while the collection will only be available digitally worldwide.

also leaves room for an eventual 4-6+AAI package lessgo

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is easily the worst Ace Attorney game by a massive margin. Ace Attorney's writing is really good, while PLvsPW is a collection of horrible anime tropes in a "mystery" that doesn't make sense in the slightest. It's the only Ace Attorney game I would never replay.

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is a great game and a great story, and its not the worst AA by any means.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know there was a weird hate squad for layton vs wright. The core mystery is definitely very stupid, but in a fun way -- better than the tepid and much more tropey and cliche dual destinies cases that followed it.

It's also a cool experiment as a game with a super focused set of cases rather than meandering around to tie it all together at the end like most PW games.

Status
Not open for further replies.