• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Joe Biden apparently doesn't care if you vote for him. No, really. On Tuesday in Iowa the former vice-president had the latest in a series of bizarre encounters with potential voters, telling a man who asked him about the issue of building new pipelines and where he stood on the climate crisis to "go vote for someone else".

The man, the former Iowa state representative Ed Fallon, said that he would support him in the general election against Donald Trump but not in the Iowa primary, which irked Biden, who wrongly assumed he was a Bernie Sanders supporter.

"You're asking [for] a picture of me, coming in to tell me you don't support me, my plan," Biden said.

"In the general. I'm running for a primary, a caucus, that's what I'm running for, OK," he said pointing in the man's chest.

Biden then assumed the man was a Sanders supporter, to which the man replied: "I'm actually supporting Tom Steyer."

"This is no way to treat an Iowan," Steyer responded on Twitter. "He said he'd vote for the Dem in the general b/c he knows how important it is to beat Trump. We need immediate action on climate. If you don't agree, happy to talk @ debate. But don't take it out on voters we need to win in Nov."It wasn't the first time Biden had suggested he didn't want someone's vote. In November, he dismissed questions from Carlos Rojas, a member of the immigrant support group the Movimiento Cosecha, over the Obama administration's deportations."You should vote for Trump," Biden told him."You have the power to stop all deportations on day one through executive actions," Rojas continued, before chants from the crowd joined in with him. He would later be hired by the Sanders campaign.

The previous month in North Carolina, Biden was dismissive of an 18-year-old member of the Sunrise Movement who expressed concern over his acceptance of Super Pac donations. "Look at my record, child," he said

He would have another argument with a member of the same group in December over the issue of fracking. After being unable to see eye to eye on the issue of banning the use of fossil fuels, Biden dismissed him.

"Well, you oughta vote for someone else," he said.

Throughout much of the primary Biden's status as the frontrunner may have provided him some leeway to dismiss voters. But with a surging Sanders he may come to regret it. He might need all the votes he can get.

It'll be a close race between Sanders and Biden regardless of Biden's attitude toward his prospective constituency. But if Biden happens to win the nomination and go onto the general, this is probably going to end up being his Achilles heel.

Last thing you want to do is depress the democratic vote especially at a time when the failed impeachment attempt has made trump and his ilk far more bolstered.

If you keep telling people not to vote for you, or vote for Trump on a half of being called out, taking people's votes for granted, they are gonna listen. And no amount of shaming is going to change the reality of the next lost if its on Biden and the people in his corner to make the case.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Biden getting the nom is 100% going to be a 2016 repeat. Based on his actions, i can't tell if he really doesn't want the nom or if he just assumes he already has it.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
I don't think his heart was ever in this. He has no passion or patience to respond when challenged. He's clearly going through the motions. That could change in the general, but it's not something to be very optimistic about.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone on his campaign team smack some goddamn sense into him and tell him to get his shit together?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
he keeps telling people to not vote for him any times they ask him to even consider changing a position

it's ridiculous

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden getting the nom is 100% going to be a 2016 repeat.

I don't think so. Biden is well-liked. ResetEra and other very progressive platforms are a vocal minority. Hillary was unlikable and still got more votes than Trump, and Biden will appeal to a lot of dumb but moderate Trump supporters who really only like Trump for his "tough guy" act and because he's a white guy. Biden is, IMO, definitely beating Trump.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone on his campaign team smack some goddamn sense into him and tell him to get his shit together?
Probably not, he's had unsuccessful primary bids before and there was probably a reason they weren't successful. The only difference now is he has loads of name recognition after being VP.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He already said he doesn't care about me or my entire generation so this type of behavior is just par for the course for him. Any mild scrutiny raised about his positions and he basically tells people to piss off. Trump will have a field day with him on a debate stage if it comes down to these two sad men.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Biden getting the nom is 100% going to be a 2016 repeat. Based on his actions, i can't tell if he really doesn't want the nom or if he just assumes he already has it.
Because he thinks he's entitled to it. Its Hillary 2008 all over again.
Yep. The general consensus seems to think that Biden is the "safe," "moderate" choice that can beat Trump by peeling off large numbers of his voters, but I'm beginning to think in the general election that he'd turn a lot of voters off in the exact same way Hillary did.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
I don't think so. Biden is well-liked. ResetEra and other very progressive platforms are a vocal minority. Hillary was unlikable and still got more votes than Trump, and Biden will appeal to a lot of dumb but moderate Trump supporters who really only like Trump for his "tough guy" act and because he's a white guy. Biden is, IMO, definitely beating Trump.

The repeat danger is the inability to generate voter enthusiasm. He's much more likable than Clinton, but will he be able to excite voters to turn out?

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Biden: "Then vote for someone else!"
Biden's numbers: *surge*

Yep. The general consensus seems to think that Biden is the "safe," "moderate" choice that can beat Trump by peeling off large numbers of his voters, but I'm beginning to think in the general election that he'd turn a lot of voters off in the exact same way Hillary did.

There is an unshakable confidence that Biden will beat Trump that I do not understand whatsoever.

Blue dog voters like him. You need more than those to win a general election.

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna be very sad if even after getting impeached, trump will still win simply due to the democrats having absolutely horrible candidates. :(

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The repeat danger is the inability to generate voter enthusiasm. He's much more likable than Clinton, but will he be able to excite voters to turn out?

Enough of them reluctantly did for Hillary to win the popular vote, and that's when people didn't know how bad Trump was gonna be and everybody was convinced he was gonna lose anyway.

Trump has the advantage of being the incumbent, so maybe that sort of cancels out his other negatives, but Biden is a stronger candidate than Hillary for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh he's being authentic in a way.

Honestly there is no point trying to convince people to switch support at this point. No one switches.

Biden's out there for undecideds and to drive turnout.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
it's called negging, he's demonstrating his Alpha Status, which makes the voters subconsciously seek his approval

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Editorials about the Primary should be discussed in the Primary OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.