• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who reads this as scummy? Zipped is trying to take a legit useful looking room off the table super early.
each room has the exact same utility later in the game as it does at the beginning of the game.

all of the players move into the new room as a group and we all experience the repurcussions (good and/or bad). By attempting to use a good room at the beginning of the game, it allows more people to experience a potential good room. saving this until later only opens us up to "we can't use that now its too valuable" as a scum tactic.

Its exactly the same as saving overpowered items in a video game. We all say "I don't need this now, though it would make this whole event easier, because something worse it around the corner" and then you beat the last boss with OP item still in your inventory because you never could justify using it.

Using it now, assuming it is protection, gives more townspeople the benefit so on a pure cost/benefit analysis more people will benefit from its use earlier in the game than later. We will still get more information on how the rooms work and we potentially keep more players in the game longer than if we just saved it for a rainy day.

move: teal room

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Fool role a thing in these Mafia games still?
no, unless the game is specifically mentioned as "basterd" then we can safely assume no jester/fool is involved.

And if that happens, they will be called out on them and voted accordingly.

I figured my reasoning was pretty obvious, he repeatedly refused to explain his move rooms every post thing. So I just gave up asking and voted.
Its just for fun, did you not see my robot posting the no fun allowed picture earlier in the day? I'm trying to have fun with a mechanic. It is a lot of fun, and while I had no idea what I wanted to do with my moves yesterday ( and it showed by me trying to hit every single room, though I am not sure I have...) today I have a much clearer picture. Use a good room today, and not punish town tomorrow when we could try for BP or for a room that punishes scum.

move: yellow room

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
each room has the exact same utility later in the game as it does at the beginning of the game.

all of the players move into the new room as a group and we all experience the repurcussions (good and/or bad). By attempting to use a good room at the beginning of the game, it allows more people to experience a potential good room. saving this until later only opens us up to "we can't use that now its too valuable" as a scum tactic.

Its exactly the same as saving overpowered items in a video game. We all say "I don't need this now, though it would make this whole event easier, because something worse it around the corner" and then you beat the last boss with OP item still in your inventory because you never could justify using it.

Using it now, assuming it is protection, gives more townspeople the benefit so on a pure cost/benefit analysis more people will benefit from its use earlier in the game than later. We will still get more information on how the rooms work and we potentially keep more players in the game longer than if we just saved it for a rainy day.

Are you seriously suggesting that for example no NK is as useful now as it is in the alte game when we may have a town core and a better idea of who the leader(s)/power roles are?

1u5zeo.gif

Is it deliberate?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Using your same analogy, this is like using your master ball on a bidoof. Using the teal room now helps nothing from my perspective. We won't get any info because no one would flip (presumably) and all we've done is prolong D1 guess work

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Using your same analogy, this is like using your master ball on a bidoof. Using the teal room now helps nothing from my perspective. We won't get any info because no one would flip (presumably) and all we've done is prolong D1 guess work
Or like using your only Pheonix Down/Revive on the first fight of the game

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
today I have a much clearer picture. Use a good room today, and not punish town tomorrow when we could try for BP or for a room that punishes scum.

and yet your constantly moving between a few rooms right now each post. While spending paragraphs trying to explain why the vote would be good.

Doesn't feel like a clearer picture to me.

Using your same analogy, this is like using your master ball on a bidoof.

This makes me laugh lol

We won't get any info because no one would flip (presumably) and all we've done is prolong D1 guess work

We would get info from todays lynch? We don't move into rooms until tomorrow presumably so today's lynch will still provide info when they flip.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

tenor.gif

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
We would get info from todays lynch? We don't move into rooms until tomorrow presumably so today's lynch will still provide info when they flip.
Even seeing who scum goes for will tell us something. Right now there's 0 benefit to a deathless day/night.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I was wondering what Bastard rules meant

I am still of the opinion that Zipped can't post without moving and that one post was an accident

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

I am still of the opinion that Zipped can't post without moving and that one post was an accident
Bastard is non-standard. The last bastard game I was in had a condition where everything the game runner said was a dirty lie. It's why I asked about it early on.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This zipped thing just feels like a big distraction right now. I'm worried it's going to snowball and we end up with a ton of votes in one place, where we can't learn as much.

I feel the same way for Dark room, even if it was my suggestion initially. This is a worrisome amount of consensus for D1.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Bastard is non-standard. The last bastard game I was in had a condition where everything the game runner said was a dirty lie. It's why I asked about it early on.
Sorta. Bastard means that the game/moderator is lying to you. Non-standard could mean a bunch of different things, like strange, non-bastard roles, or non-standard mechanics (like this one has with room movement, for instance.)

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
also if I was doing that was super weird/confusing to people in a Mafia game and got called out for it, and I could stop doing it, I would

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

In general, Bastard means that information provided by the moderator may not be accurate. Sometimes implicitly. In the case of a jester/Fool, it's bastard because all of us have have an expectation that nobody wants to get lynched, and will behave accordingly. Including someone who DOES want to get lynched just fucks the game up.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's a nearly iron clad rule of no jesters even in a bastard game, we had one once by special permission, he didn't win.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
also if I was doing that was super weird/confusing to people in a Mafia game and got called out for it, and I could stop doing it, I would
But what if you're scum and want to make it look like there's a role that can force room change votes like that?

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
This zipped thing just feels like a big distraction right now. I'm worried it's going to snowball and we end up with a ton of votes in one place, where we can't learn as much.

I feel the same way for Dark room, even if it was my suggestion initially. This is a worrisome amount of consensus for D1.
While you're not wrong , eliminating 'noise' and uncertainty does help clear the game a bit. I've regretted not pushing harder for Blarglike players

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To assume that the "shield" referenced is a game wide bulletproof is the most obvious conclusion, but why stop at an obvious conclusion?

There must be some people who know more about color than the rest of us, and they CARE what color room we go to because it will give them benefit, like powering up their not-yet-charged roles. A whole lot of players have said nothing that was not directly relating to this mechanic, and trying to push the conversation purely that way is suss.

Godfather, you never answered the question I asked you - what has you in here on your most hated day phase, working so hard?

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone remind me how to look at all of a particular person's posts in the thread?

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To assume that the "shield" referenced is a game wide bulletproof is the most obvious conclusion, but why stop at an obvious conclusion?

There must be some people who know more about color than the rest of us, and they CARE what color room we go to because it will give them benefit, like powering up their not-yet-charged roles. A whole lot of players have said nothing that was not directly relating to this mechanic, and trying to push the conversation purely that way is suss.

Godfather, you never answered the question I asked you - what has you in here on your most hated day phase, working so hard?

Short phases make it feel more urgent, and unlike most day 1s, we do have SOMETHING concrete to talk about, plus I have 90 minutes of commuting on a train each day, so ample time to post.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1+2+2+1...

remember monkey's brains, though popular in Cantonese cuisine are not often to be found in Washington D.C.
to that effect, I should move.

MOVE: Gray Room [\highlight]
I don't think that move worked...

But I don't want to be in the gray room anymore.

MOVE: Teal Room
Stuart, I pressed post WAY to early, I wanted to move and shit post.

When I moved I accidentally pressed post reply and then just the shit post posted.

My game really started with the two moves. gray, then second guessing myself into Teal.
If this was my game, I would assume that the flavor text for a given room would be tangentially related to what (if anything) the room did.

Flavor is flavor, I'm picking my room for fun! OR I might let one of my kiddos pick (is that allowed)? probably as random as RNG, at least.

until then

MOVE: orange room
no no there was not. I started my post after seeing the other vote for me.
Shit! I forgot to move when i posted last.

MOVE: red room
If you can't see what I'm attempting ( and so far failing to do) with my posts, then...

MOVE: dark room
I don't know but since I already voted to move to red...

MOVE: Pink room

Gotta drive home, I'll check back later tonight for more fun
I thought B-dubs previous post mentioning me had a vote on it. My mistake. That post was the one I was responding to.

MOVE: blue room
Yes, but a lot of time your gut will give you a correct answer even if you can't quite put your finger on why

move: Yellow Room
It's too early for read lists and outside of the bear's binoculars in my direction i've Got nothing to go on so far.

So
move: dark room
jrN7k7H_d.jpg

Seriously... but y'all are on the right ideA.

Bronsonlee. You owe me a drink. Reading that made laugh so hard!!

move: orange room
I thought he voted for me. He didn't but I didn't realize that until you posted it. Straws my best friend.

move: red room
Now I'm confused. Somebody mentioned me for that post...
Fuck

move: green room
Sorry excuse my foul language. Shouldn't have cursed for a simple mistake

move: gray room
I shouldn't have cursedthis is a fun game and it

zipped works too, if you care for variation

move: blue room
That vote tool! Reminded me that purple exists.

I have a feeling that votes in a few days will tell an interesting story (as they always do)

But with everyone deciding that the dark room is where we need to be (which irks me because it means we are going from the white room filled with light into a darkness filled room.

But everyone is voting to go there, so it's not like it's a scum tell or anything.

Love the clue gifs. BTW

move: purple room
I have a legit question, why are we deliberately trying for a bad room? We have options for some good rooms, since we do not know how the game works exactly (only speculating) why are we trying to "Save" the good rooms when we could get seriously hindered by going directly into a bad room. Maybe this bad room locks us out of a good room?

I think it would be a good idea to vote Teal room! Give everyone, WHILE WE HAVE THE MOST PLAYERS, a blatantly obviously good room. If it is BP it would keep more of us in the game longer ( which actively benefits town because we have the most players), and actively hinder killing roles.

Why are we deliberately trying to get what seems to me punished instead of actively promoting something that, to me, would only hurt scum/threats to town?

Yeah but since we only gain information shouldn't town err on the side of caution? Pushing for a bad room out the gate to "get them out of the way" seems backwards to me. Try to mitigate the affect of the first room while we are learning and then once we know SOMETHING decide to burn through the rooms that do not sound so good.

learning through punishment or learning through something that gives town a benefit?

move: green room
yes, the most important thing we can possibly get outside of flips.

Why risk learning that information and get punished when we can still learn a lot of the same information BUT not intend for us to get punished (in fact I think teal will actively help us)

move: Teal room
I disagree, we could potentially learn if rooms get locked out when you enter other rooms. We would have at least one flip. We would know what the teal room does (since the white room seems to be just a blank space).

We learn all of these same things with a seemingly bad room, we just risk getting a bad effect for tomorrow. With the teal room, specifically, the text is outlined in such a way to imply that it has a good affect.

Now if we don't want to waste our "BP" room, fine. then why not the yellow room? It has protect right there in the text! Maybe however the "voices" plays out will actively hurt the threats to town by muddying up their scum chat? Seems to me like a clear winner!

This is exactly why I'm pushing for a good room TODAY, we have room for error, can spare a life sure. Its a benefit to town in early game Scum is far more likely to target a 'nilla character than anything else and town will go for the people most irking them, typically after scum pushes them towards it by pointing it out.

But since we don't know if rooms get locked out if you chose their opposite, as well as only having an inkling as to what they are I believe it benefits us more to have everyone get a BP and cause a no kill night 2 (assuming teal gives us BP) than to "save it for later" and potentially never use it.

Truth be told, if scum thinks teal is BP, then they can always try to swing the vote away at the last minute by saying " we should save this for later when we really need it".

I think Yellow and teal are probably the best moves for today. let us worry about bad rooms tomorrow after we hurt/bother/prevent scum from doing something.

I'm not sure if sarcastic or legit agreement, but since we all move into the room together, this protects us now with unclaimed PRs or later with claimed PRs.

no, unless the game is specifically mentioned as "basterd" then we can safely assume no jester/fool is involved.

Its just for fun, did you not see my robot posting the no fun allowed picture earlier in the day? I'm trying to have fun with a mechanic. It is a lot of fun, and while I had no idea what I wanted to do with my moves yesterday ( and it showed by me trying to hit every single room, though I am not sure I have...) today I have a much clearer picture. Use a good room today, and not punish town tomorrow when we could try for BP or for a room that punishes scum.

I just want to see all of Zipped's shit in one place. First thing I note is multiple posts without a move, so if that's mandatory, brazil is being very forgiving so far.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to see all of Zipped's shit in one place. First thing I note is multiple posts without a move, so if that's mandatory, brazil is being very forgiving so far.
There's 3 posts without a room. The first could just be him not seeing a PM, the second and third immediately followed by the following posts.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
His post requirement is suspicious, but it's nothing that screams "I'M SCUM!" to me.

I'd be more wary of people suggesting otherwise and trying to direct the vote in his direction.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Otherwise, I don't see a particular pattern. He's picked each room at least once. He does have that weird 1 2 2 1 post as his first one.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'm under the impression that Zipped is just fooling around to look scummy. So either a scum that would be purposefully bussed for some reason (like a lynch bomb, but that seems like a stretch to use this early in the game) or a townie PR that doesn't want to get targeted at night because he'll continue to look scummy throughout the game provided he never gets lynched.

Neither are really great moves, unfortunately

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm under the impression that Zipped is just fooling around to look scummy. So either a scum that would be purposefully bussed for some reason (like a lynch bomb, but that seems like a stretch to use this early in the game) or a townie PR that doesn't want to get targeted at night because he'll continue to look scummy throughout the game provided he never gets lynched.

Neither are really great moves, unfortunately
How would a lynch bomb work? Can't say I've ever heard of it before

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My take is that the Shield will be a one-shot protection that either gives a player bulletproof or will be a no-kill day. Either way, it's a room we don't want to waste, so using it on the right day is going to be paramount for town; it could easily be hijacked by scum.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
How would a lynch bomb work? Can't say I've ever heard of it before
It's a role that can have differently abilities, but they all ostensibly give scum an extra kill.
- On lynch, the last person to vote for the bomb dies too
- On lynch, the bomb can pick someone to die with them
- On lynch, scum gets an extra kill that night
for instance

It's a really weird move to play this early in the game.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It's a role that can have differently abilities, but they all ostensibly give scum an extra kill.
- On lynch, the last person to vote for the bomb dies too
- On lynch, the bomb can pick someone to die with them
- On lynch, scum gets an extra kill that night
for instance

It's a really weird move to play this early in the game.
Maybe they figured out a power role already?

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil It's not completely clear, but can we not vote for the White Room right now? I.e. staying in place? It says the special rooms can only be visited once, but it doesn't outright state that we have to LEAVE our current room otherwise.