• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should Nintendo prioritize with a new Switch version?

• Portability. I want to be able to take my console wherever I want

Votes: 124 53.7%
  • Graphics. I want my Switch to be an Xbox I can play from the bed (and only from the bed)

Votes: 107 46.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
One year ago I was excited to purchase my Animal Crossing edition Nintendo Switch. As happy as I was with my Xbox and PS4, I couldn't wait to be able to play my games laying on my hammock or sitting on a park bench.

Much to my disappointment, both activities are completely impossible until night time. The Switch screen was atrocious for 2020. Low brightness and terrible with screen reflections, playing outside during the day means seeing my face more than the game itself even when in darker places like a forest. What's worse, even at home, as long as I'm on a well lit room, and by that I mean a room with a couple of windows, I can see my face reflected on the screen on any game that has dark colors. The other day I was playing Doom 3 in a room with only one window, blinds closed, and reached the conclusion the game wouldn't be enjoyable until night time. 10 years ago, a smartphone at half brightness would work orders of magnitude better in a somewhat bright room than this modern console.

This means that, for the most part, the Switch, in practical terms, does not evolve from the WiiU; I can still only play at home.

Sure, you can still play on a plane and the likes. But here comes problem 2. While the battery capacity of the new version is acceptable, the charging time takes FOREVER. I recently had to travel for 35 hours, and realized this console takes more than 5 hours to recharge when you don't use the dock. Of course, no fast charge mode.

Now, problem number 3: How is it acceptable this thing doesn't have Bluetooth in this day and age? So many headphones nowadays have no wired option. If I want to take my Switch anywhere, I need to pack a different pair of headphones on top of the ones I normally use. For people who can't use in ear, that's super annoying, adds a lot of bulk to any backpack.

So here I am, reading everyone excited to get a more powerful console while I think that the power is more than enough; sure, better graphics are always welcome but the priority should be allowing you to use this portable console on portable mode as much as possible. The fact that I can't use it on my balcony even under the shade of the entire building (balcony faces north), is extremely disappointing. I use this console less than half of what I'd like to due to this issue.

So, in my opinion, when Nintendo designs a new console and wonders "what improvements can we add without going over this price tag?", I think these should be the priorities:

1. Screen that works in somewhat bright conditions.
2. Bluetooth.
3. Fast charge.
4. Waterproof so that I can play it in the bathtub (a man can dream).
5. Better graphics.

(All of this assuming they fix the joycon drift bullshit, that'll always be the real #1).

What do you say, ERA?

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
1. Never had problems with the screen.
2. Never wanted bluetooth really, for me it's not a hassle.
3. Switch is charging fast with my USB-C powerbank from Anker
4. I use it in my bathtub as well, but careful not to drop it ;)
5. This has nothing to do with portability, but would love to have it :D

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
My screen at full brightness without eco is sure enough on bright light, I don't found it unplayable at all.
I bought the Genki Bluetooth adapter but that's on me.
I have a 2017 model and found the battery pretty cool, I think it's not that long to charge, but you can play with the cable connected too. Also you're not going to find any device at that level having much more playtime.
Waterproof forget about it.

The new model with OLED and better specs will satisfy you on many levels it seems.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just for your information the new Switch is supposed to have a higher quality OLED Display as well.

I don't agree with your take, but you could have just sent it back if the Display wasn't good enough for what you were hoping to do with it. Same with no Bluetooth headset support, it's a known fact.

Though it very hard to believe that the screen wouldn't be bright enough to use at home.

OP
OP
Djalminha

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Needlessly inflammatory thread title. You don't like its limitations.
Portability is what differentiates the Switch from the other consoles on the market and I can't "port it" around when I go places, there's nothing inflammatory about the title. It describes the content of the post accurately.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
As a 99% handheld player I respectfully disagree.

Portability doesn't necessitate being outside.

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
I'm really happy with Switch because I use it as a home console, and as a portable playing on my bed and on the train... I can't take my PS4 to the train

funo

Oct 27, 2017
hyperbole title is hyperbole...

95+ % handheld user over here

1. screen is fine (could be an inch bigger, tbh)
2. don't care about bluetooth (using an adapter)
3. charging is fine via usb c (even with powerbank)
4. my switch has seen probably 100+ hours of bathtub use
5. i'll buy a switch pro with better everything in a heartbeat

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Portability is what differentiates the Switch from the other consoles on the market and I can't "port it" around when I go places, there's nothing inflammatory about the title. It describes the content of the post accurately.
But the Switch delivers portability? So the title is flawed

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
What do you say, ERA?

I say...

azaXn90w_700w_0.jpg

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with how it is now honestly. It's portable enough and the graphics look fine for me. Stuff like BotW and Mario Odyssey looks great IMO.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Portability for me means playing on a train, or on my sofa when the TV is on, so I personally disagree.

Ive never been one to take my gaming device everywhere I go though.

EDIT: Loving all the people offended at your thread title. Relax people.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
I've personally not had a problem with it, I've taken it on trips with me multiple times. Only thing I would like improving is the battery time, never noticed long charging times though.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017

But... you literally can. I've 'ported' mine and played it on public transport, at other people's houses, in the park, by the beach... etc.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's $300, it can only do so much at that price point. It's not like any of the previous handhelds on the market had any of those features

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had an issue with it as a portable.

Only thing I kind of agree with is the need for bluetooth connectivity.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I've put hundreds of hours on my Switch without ever plugging it into a television. So much so that I picked up a Switch Lite, which I now mostly use.

Do you really think the thread title is going to engender the best possible discussion in this thread?

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I've never heard anyone complaining about most of these things, much less stop using their Switch because of it. They're obviously not keeping enough people from playing the Switch for it to have "failed" as a portable.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
How many of Nintendo handhelds have actually been great when playing in the Sun? I can't think of many. Growing up, my original GameBoy certainly didn't do well in the Sunlight.

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last time i used my switch docked.

But, I do agree that the first model's battery life is a disaster. And, as far as I know, there are not higher capacity batteries available for it.
I guess you could buy a high-capacity external battery, though.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Currently chilling playing Crash 4 in my bed, love The Switch's portability despite it never leaving the house.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
You must have really struggled with older portable systems if the Switch is below your standards. I find the Switch rather clear to use outside compared to most other systems. Might help that I primarily play bright and colourful games maybe? I don't think playing Doom 3 in a bright and sunny area will look clear on any device.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I want it to be small enough to fit in my pocket and have controllers that dont drift so easily.

The original is too big in portable mode, its portability function is only feasible if you bring a bag with it.

I want to play the next Mario in its full glory on the screen and if something comes up I can comfortably put it in my pocket like a DS and continue if I ever was free no matter the place or the time.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
nah the Switch is plenty portable, I used it constantly when I used to take public transports, really sounds like a "you" problem.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The battery life wasnt good in the first model ... but outside of thatsm its a pefectly fine portable device.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Its waaaaaaay more portable than any PS4, PS5, XBO, Series console tho.

My kids have a Switch and Switch Lite. I think you might be wrong on this one OP.

Some smartphone screens suffer with the same issue, tablets too, (or used to) are they not smartphones, tablets now?

Like literally everything you describe doesnt make a smartphone. tablet a desktop computer because of those things.

Summit

Banned
Mar 1, 2021
The portability is not that important to me—I game in one room. I'd rather Nintendo beef up their hardware so their games can really shine. Gimme that 60FPS HDR baby.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
There is no 'priority' to be made. Nintendo struck a balance between power (graphics), portability (battery) and price (screen).

Too bad you don't like it, but looking at the millions of people who have no problem playing their Switch on the go, you're in the minority.

Your wishlist is nice wishful thinking, but doesn't take 2016 prices in consideration at all.

OP
OP
Djalminha

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Damn I really didn't foresee issues with the title: for me it failed at being portable, which is why I got ot, that's what I'm going for. English is not my first language so maybe I should have phrased it differently.

As for those who say its portability is fine because you play indoors... That was my point, it's not much better than WiiU. But even on the train, when the sun is on the same side, the console only works well for very bright games.

As for those of you who use it on the tub, I admire your attitude towards life!

I knew many would disagree with the screen issue but damn, I can't believe how people are cool with lack of Bluetooth nowadays.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
I think it is a great portablesystem.
Never put a handheld in my pocket. I carried al of my portables in a special bag.
What I do mis are the typical handheld games. Series like Mario and Luigi. Etc

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It's funny to me after reading the OP and thinking that the only reason which makes me avoid playing in portable mode is bc all my joycons are drifting or randomly disconnecting after 1 year of use.

I miss playing Dead Cells and Dragon Ball FighterZ in portable mode, but that didn't last long and I'll not waste money on another piece of garbage and overpriced Nintendo controller.

OP
OP
Djalminha

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Also, people saying this didn't happen with previous handhelds, well, previous handhelds didn't have modern screen available!

Status
Not open for further replies.