• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Expectations:
- Full blown explosive 10h single player campaign (new 10h campaign every update)
- Explorable open worlds with side quests
- Space travel

Reality:
- Grinding the same levels since 2017
- New weapons to grind
- Maybe some new fun areas/activities

Like this is the reality of Destiny. What are people expecting?

Maybe my own fault, but listening to various podcasts and reading forums is mind numbing.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Expectations:
- Full blown explosive 10h single player campaign (new 10h campaign every update)
- Space travel

How is that at all unrealistic for a full priced game? And if the updates are £30 a pop you're damn right I want a 10 ten hour campaign at least.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've already given up on the possibility of having a balanced pvp mode. Now when I want to pvp I just play something else.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Expectations:
- Space travel

How is that at all unrealistic for a full priced game? And if the updates are £30 a pop you're damn right I want a 10 ten hour campaign at least.

Why is this unrealistic?

I'm confused.

10 hour single player campaign is UNREALISTIC?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Expectations:
- Space travel

Seriously. I remember playing the first Destiny expansion and it was four hours long. What the fuck was the point?

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear to god that so many good news for Destiny 2 broke people in this forum. They are tilting hard.

OP
OP
grmltr

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Expectations:
- Space travel

With the support of Activision and 2 other studios they made Warmind and Osiris, which were derided. ..

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Those unrealistic expectations sound a whole lot like Borderlands 3. Maybe it's not unrealistic. That's Destiny's competition, it's a game people have been comparing Destiny with since the beginning and it's honestly very reasonable because both are trying same thing.

This Fall for 60 you can buy BL3 or for 40 + whatever is the season pass you can buy Destiny 2 again. Guess which one will sell a whole lot.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no to a 10 hour campaign. I play destiny to grind new guns and loot bc at the end of the day its kinda like an MMO not a single player game. Why waste resources on something that long?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted a FPS MMO with a WoW-like structure + Bungie's gunplay.

Doesn't sound unrealistic to me.

OP
OP
grmltr

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Those unrealistic expectations sound a whole lot like Borderlands 3. Maybe it's not unrealistic. That's Destiny's competition, it's a game people have been comparing Destiny with since the beginning and it's honestly very reasonable because both are trying same thing.
Has Borderlands 3 stated its long term plans?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
well destiny 1's pitch was more or less the "wildly unrealistic" expectation you listed, minus the space travel maybe.

i think the rub is both games are bunch of vignettes (that you have to pay separately for over years) rather than a unifying vision. but if you're down with the look n shoot racket it's whatever

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'd get wanting more strikes but did the people who want more campaigns play D2? Those campaigns were awful. Lots of tedious running from event trigger to event trigger with people over the radio saying Light or "The <generic noun>" 500 times in between. At least strikes cut out the fluff for the most part and are straight run throughs instead of waiting around for the map marker to update so you have any idea where to go next.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
Borderlands 3 and Destiny 2 are absolutely not trying the same thing, one is a GAAS with the endgame loop of an MMO and the other is a co-op adventure

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
The game has been pretty good since Forsaken.

I've never heard anyone say they wanted more campaigns outside of the big Taken King and Forsaken style DLCs.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who played and loved the campaigns of all of the Bungie Halo games I was hoping for a fresh start for Bungie, a brand new clean slate setting and story. I wanted to see what else they could do.

Instead it had tons of behind the scenes drama over whether it'd even have a story, with much of it being cut before the game came out and what was left had even more generic proper noun macguffins and villains than Halo. On top of that the repetitive loot based gameplay didn't appeal to me at all.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Really should be a thread about "The ridiculously unrealistic expectations vs. reality of games" cause Destiny is only one of the numerous games people have ludicrous expectations about.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
"All that stuff, if you ran out there, it's all playable terrain."

Oct 27, 2017
Expectations:
-People eventually understand Destiny's structure.

Reality:
-5 years later and people are still angry Destiny isn't Halo.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Please no campaigns over 5 hours in destiny. That means I have to do that shit another two times on top of that.

People want space ship battles in a first person shooter. Like are you going to do that for 500 hours? I'm not.

Come on Eris let's go shoot down some hive tomb ships
SpiritedFearfulBactrian-small.gif

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I see what you are saying but it's still substantial enough for me imo, but yeah the general gist of Destiny never quite living up to what we want it to be is apt, it's got so much potential but never seems to fully achieve it for enough a length of time.

Nov 14, 2017
Expectations:
- Space travel

Reality:
- Grinding the same levels since 2017
- New weapons to grind
- Maybe some new fun areas/activities

Like this is the reality of Destiny. What are people expecting?

Maybe my own fault, but listening to various podcasts and reading forums is mind numbing.
There is a new 10hr campaign every year, and has been every year since launch. I don't know what you mean about grinding the same levels. This is borderline trolling tbh.

Oct 29, 2017
What are you even talking about, OP?

Destiny is in a great spot. Aside from its PvP support (and I don't think PvP is even in that bad of a spot, mind you), it's never been better.

My expectation is that it's fun, with some of the best FPS gunplay in the industry, and that's what I got.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Maybe I did, and it's so incredibly vapid that it's barely worth a shitpost?
Well then let's take your post from earlier today. Your idea for a good Destiny story was have a rogue guardian from the Oryx fight unleash hell on the moon and cause a civil war and have that guardian be the next taken king. Meanwhile the only person to defect from that fire team was my boy who bounced to PC. That's like super generic but to you that's your expectations for a good story.

Meanwhile they been building shit up with one of Oryx's sisters over the past 9 months with in game lore pieces and snippets. We have these pyramid ships with a new enemy type coming (but please respect Bungie for not rushing it or working their employees to death) the moon probaby isn't the only patrol area, I wouldn't doubt if the end game for this expansion is something we won't know about until a leak comes out a few weeks before release.

Like there is a story, shit is going on, now is it 100% perfect? No, but it's better than some random rogue guardian (we already have one, big story behind him too) doing this. Eris is tied to Queen Mara Sov who we been learning more about also over the past 9 months. Tons of shit is going on and we will get there when we get there.

But the game people who don't play the game want, is not the game the devs are making and haven't been making for the last 5 years, so why do people still act surprised that they are sticking with what works for the community that is keeping the lights on over there for them.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny is a game I've played for 10-20 hours a week since 2014.

Whether a campaign is 1 hour long or 50 hours long is ultimately insignificant because that's not where I'll spend even 10% of my playing time.

What's important is each expansion delivers a fun gameplay loop which is good for hundreds of hours. They've gotten it right some times (Forsaken, House of Wolves, Taken King, Rise of Iron), and missed the marked some other times (CoO/Warmind, Dark Below) etc

Jun 4, 2019
Well then let's take your post from earlier today. Your idea for a good Destiny story was have a rogue guardian from the Oryx fight unleash hell on the moon and cause a civil war and have that guardian be the next taken king. Meanwhile the only person to defect from that fire team was my boy who bounced to PC. That's like super generic but to you that's your expectations for a good story.

Meanwhile they been building shit up with one of Oryx's sisters over the past 9 months with in game lore pieces and snippets. We have these pyramid ships with a new enemy type coming (but please respect Bungie for not rushing it or working their employees to death) the moon probaby isn't the only patrol area, I wouldn't doubt if the end game for this expansion is something we won't know about until a leak comes out a few weeks before release.

Like there is a story, shit is going on, now is it 100% perfect? No, but it's better than some random rogue guardian (we already have one, big story behind him too) doing this. Eris is tied to Queen Mara Sov who we been learning more about also over the past 9 months. Tons of shit is going on and we will get there when we get there.

But the game people who don't play the game want, is not the game the devs are making and haven't been making for the last 5 years, so why do people still act surprised that they are sticking with what works for the community that is keeping the lights on over there for them.
Brother, some fanfic I typed up off the top of my head to make a point =/= my expectations or ideas for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.