• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Sharks always at the top. Absolutely ruthless predator that lives for 300 years to boot

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't there a couple animals that will just keep living as long they have food and nothing kills them?

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Mayflies live longer than a day. They are only in the flying/mating stage for a day, but they can be nymphs for two years.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Some animals are functionally immortal. Hydras and some tortoises seem to be off the top of my head.
Tortoises have super long lifespans but they aren't biologically immortal, eventually old age will cause issues that will kill them. I think the only species we currently consider truly biologically immortal are the Jellyfish species mentioned in the video (since it can revert itself back into a younger form an infinite amount of times) and maybe hydras

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Geoducks are definitely not the largest mollusk. Cool video though, I had no idea lobsters could live for so long.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Tortoises have super long lifespans but they aren't biologically immortal, eventually old age will cause issues that will kill them. I think the only species we currently consider truly biologically immortal are the Jellyfish species mentioned in the video (since it can revert itself back into a younger form an infinite amount of times) and maybe hydras

Hmmm...I was taught that tortoises don't actually grow old. I remember we learned about the one in India that was 225 and only died due to a wound that caused liver failure. Supposedly, their shell was carbon dated to the 1700s or something.

EDIT: Found an article about it. Not the best source but I'll keep looking.

Tortoises are the most famous negligibly senescent animals. An Aldabra giant tortoise named Adwaita was thought to be 255 years old when he died in 2006, and carbon dating of his shell confirmed that he really had been born around 1750. And it wasn't old age that did him in - he died of liver failure complicated by a wound brought on by a crack in his shell.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are some animals whose lifespan is potentially far longer than they actually last. iirc alligators just end up getting too physically large to sustain themselves, as do lobsters

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...I was taught that tortoises don't actually grow old. I remember we learned about the one in India that was 225 and only died due to a wound that caused liver failure. Supposedly, their shell was carbon dated to the 1700s or something.
They can get very old, but I've never seen a claim that they're truly biologically immortal. But it might be a case like lobsters who don't technically experience sensence but since they keep growing eventually they'll die because they're body just can't handle the continued growth

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The short lifespan of mice and rats is so tragic considering how great they are as pets. :(

Precious lil guys.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
They can get very old, but I've never seen a claim that they're truly biologically immortal. But it might be a case like lobsters who don't technically experience sensence but since they keep growing eventually they'll die because they're body just can't handle the continued growth

I must have mixed up biologically immortal and negligible senescence then. Thanks for that!

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Not a great video. Not sure how accurate the ages are but some of the trivia tossed out is not correct....and the pronunciation is awful.

Edit: Also wow, can't make a video about anything without inserting a "but what about how trash ex girlfriends are amiright?"

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
My long haired chihuahua looked like he was going to disintegrate into dust at any moment when he was 17 (RIP).

Also queen ants being able to live up to 30 years would be fucking nuts.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Really? I did not have the sound on,if thats the case I get the topic locked.

He just make some comments about the female version of a species being the blood-suckers or the venomous and is like "Hmm..."

Aside from that, there are a few mistakes, namely umm...humans, which is longer than the description suggests.

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
The video said the Andrean Condor was the largest bird. I thought that was the Ostrich?

Or is it the largest bird who can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.