• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shademp

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Hello everyone! Some of the research I've done on Crisis Core has been compiled into the following video:

Information contained therein:

- The Debug Menus
- Real-Time Rendered Cutscenes
- Shun Moriya's Debug Room
- The Ghost Son
- The Lame, The Lying, The Weirdo
- Unused Maps
- "Don't test me!" alternate take

- The Debug Menus
Crisis Core is somewhat of an odd case, since you can't find a worthwhile amount of debug menus in the Japanese- or North American versions of the game. Instead you'll have to play any of the European releases to find functioning debug menus. Most of this data simply doesn't exist in the non-European versions.

- Real-Time Rendered Cutscenes
In the debug menus you can access most of the game's cutscenes. These include the pre-rendered cutscenes (titled "MF" in the menus, presumably meaning "Movie File") and their unseen, real-time rendered counterparts (called "Prod" in the menus, probably standing for "Production").

Anyone who has played this PSP game in a higher resolution than intended will have spotted that the movie files can become quite grainy.

- Shun Moriya's Debug Room
The only debug room, more akin to familiar debug rooms like from the original Final Fantasy VII, is the one belonging to the game's main programmer Shun Moriya. A wandering Tonberry says the following:

Hello player!​
My name is Shun Moriya.​
Some Chinese female student call me 'Lao Mo'​
'Lao' means old. 'Mo' means my name.​
My hometown is Sagamihara city in Kanagawa Pref.​
I like to develop video game.​
But, to developing video game is sort of nightmare.​
I think I can't wake from a nightmare til I'll be dead.​
Sorry for my poor English. Thanks ;-)​

You can even save your game in this debug room. In case anybody wants a save file from the debug room, let me know.

- The Ghost Son
While Crisis Core isn't overflowing with unused text, unlike the original FFVII, it still has some neat bits.

During his time in Nibelheim, Zack can engage in a sidequest where he searches for the town's "Seven Wonders". A boy provides Zack with hints and rumors as to what the next 'wonder' might be. If you've found the first five wonders, the boy and his mother will appear when Nibelheim is burning. The mother is stuck in a burning house and her son is standing outside helplessly. If the player is fast enough they can save the mother from the flames and thus reunite parent and child.
In this unused text, Zack meets the mother again later.

Woman: Mngh...​
Thanks for your help during the fire.​
I've been meaning to repay you somehow.​
Woman: Oh, hello again!​
Zack: How's your son?​
Woman: Son...?​
What are you talking about?​
I don't have a son.​
Zack: Huh?​
Then who was that boy?​
The boy who was calling for help outside?​
Woman: You were alone out there.​
It's interesting, though--I did have a son who died​
ten years ago. He'd be about your age if he were alive.​
Zack: He died!?​
Ten years ago!?​
Hmmmmm!?​
How very strange…​

- The Lame, The Lying, The Weirdo
Sector 8 of Midgar is a hotspot for unused text. One example is from earlier in the game when Zack is still a 2nd Class SOLDIER. A kid was going to speak to Zack and the player would then get three dialogue options.

Look! SOLDIER!​
Yeah! SOLDIER! Can I have your autograph?​
Zack: Sure, I'll give you an autograph:​
A> Sign it as Zack, SOLDIER 2nd Class.​
B> Sign it as Sephiroth, SOLDIER 1st Class.​
C> Sign it as President, President of Shinra.​
A>​
Zack? I've never heard of you!​
2nd Class? Aw, that's lame!​
Hey, SOLDIER!​
You're lame!​
B>​
You think you can lie to us just​
because we're kids? You're not Sephiroth!​
You're a liar!​
C>​
Holy-- He's the president of Shinra!​
Wait, but "President" can't be your name!​
Aw, you're just some weirdo!​
You're a weirdo!​

- Unused Maps

There are three variations of a very unique unused map, one that seems intended for mako reactors and/or Midgar plate interiors.

Map A
Picture 1
Picture 2

Map B
Picture 1
Picture 2

Map C
Picture

I, for one, would have appreciated it if these maps had been used among the game's 300 missions.

- "Don't test me!" alternate take
An old discovery for anyone who kept track back when Crisis Core was first released, but interesting nonetheless.

The Japanese game has unused audio clips for voice performances. Find them all over at SilentTweak.

Sephiroth's alternate take of what in the English game is the line "Don't test me!" after he skewers Cloud with the Masamune is extra interesting though because we can hear it used in the Square Enix Party 2007 trailer (time stamp 6m08s). You'll notice the camera angle on Sephiroth is slightly different too.

Feel free to read my Crisis Core research thread over at The Lifestream, ask questions here or post your own knowledge.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I loved CC, so I'll definitely give it a watch/read, but shouldn't the OP actually have some of the information or a summary or something? Just comes across as blatant self-promotion otherwise.

OP
OP
Shademp

Shademp

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I loved CC, so I'll definitely give it a watch/read, but shouldn't the OP actually have some of the information or a summary or something? Just comes across as blatant self-promotion otherwise.
My apologies, I made the post too eagerly and without looking into standard forum procedures. I'll add info to the original post now.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
No worries just a quick summary is good. Anyone who is actually interested will give a whirl. Will check it out later.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My apologies, I made the post too eagerly and without looking into standard forum procedures. I'll add info to the original post now.
No worries; I didn't think you meant for it to be like that haha. I'm definitely going to look into it once I have some more free time. Never really heard much about what went unused in the game, so it sounds interesting.

OP
OP
Shademp

Shademp

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
If you want to check out a more thorough playthrough-examination of Shun Moriya's debug room you can check it out here:

I am normally pretty bad at compiling my research into articles or videos (and typically I focus on Dirge of Cerberus stuff) which is why it's such a special occasion for me to have some of my research summarized in video form by my hosts over at The Lifestream.

Shun Moriya's debug room also has the following bit of unused text:

What sort of movie do you want to watch?​
Bahamut​
Bahamut restu​
Ifrit​
Ordine​
Phenix​

My hacking skills are improving so perhaps in the future I might find a way to unlock these summon FMV options (assuming there is actual programming left for selecting these options).

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Main this title is just ASKING for a remake\remaster. A lot of this I definitely would want to play. Here's to hoping we may get something at this E3.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Thanks and congratulation for sharing the research and video

logash

Oct 27, 2017
The heck is going on? I just beat FF7 for the first time (after a failed attempt 20 years ago when I was 8) and all of a sudden I am seeing relevant threads (this and the FF movie thread since I just bought Advent Children on blu ray so I can finally watch it with some context)!

Anyway, on topic, I love things like this. I beat the game on PSP a long time ago and I loved it. Plan on beating it again soon too since I have more context.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Since the OP appears to be the writer for this video, this thread violates our self-promotion rules, and the topic is closed.

If somebody else would like to make a thread on the video, please feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.