• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
The US is hoarding Astra Zeneca despite not using it and not letting a single vaccine dose leave the country despite the global crisis. It is shameful.
Biden is implementing an America first ideology in a direct continuation of Trumps policies. For all the talk of global leadership the US is only caring for its own citizens, leaving the EU, China and Russia to take care of the rest of the world and even the United States' direct neighbors.
The US is quick to meddle in the world's affairs and flex their military muscle to further their own interests. The current crisis and the failure of the US to assume any kind of leadership role cements the fact that they can't be relied upon and the EU needs to step up in the coming decades to prevent Russian and Chinese influence.

Sources
www.nytimes.com

The U.S. Is Sitting on Tens of Millions of Vaccine Doses the World Needs (Published 2021)

Those tens of millions of doses from AstraZeneca are waiting for trial results, while countries that authorized the vaccine beg to have them.

The EU continues to be the leading provider of vaccines around the world. Six weeks into the existence of this mechanism, 249 export requests to 31 different countries* have been granted for a total of 34,090,267 doses, as they did not threaten the contractual engagements between the EU and the vaccine producers. Only one export request was not granted. The main export destinations include the United Kingdom (with approximately 9.1 million doses), Canada (3.9 million), Mexico (3.1 million), Japan (2.7 million), Saudi Arabia (1.4 million), Hong Kong (1.3 million), Singapore (1 million), United States (1 million), Chile (0.9 million) and Malaysia (0.8 million).
ec.europa.eu

Press corner

Highlights, press releases and speeches

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Always first to bomb countries but last when they can actually help.

But I guess people won't mind since unlike agent orange biden uses nice words to treat everyone like shit

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's time for the EU to step up. There's a world that needs leadership.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK, the AZ vaccine hasn't been clinically approved in the US, and our laws don't allow exporting vaccines and other medical treatments that have not been clinically approved, which is pretty sensible.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope the US helps Mexico first, as we share a very porous border. Very selfish, I know.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Let's stop Celebrating Vaccine Hoarding!

Guterres said at least 130 countries have not yet received a single dose of COVID-19 vaccine. Rich nations ‘hoarding’ a billion doses of excess COVID vaccine https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/2/19/covid-vaccine 19 Feb 2021 “This huge vaccine excess is the embodiment of vaccine nationalism...

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
AFAIK, the AZ vaccine hasn't been clinically approved in the US, and our laws don't allow exporting vaccines and other medical treatments that have not been clinically approved, which is pretty sensible.
Biden admin straight up came out and said they won't allow export because they'll keep it incase it gets approved at some point for americans
President Joe Biden's administration is holding on to its stockpile of AstraZeneca PLCvaccines, even though the shot isn't authorized for U.S. use, top aides said Friday -- rebuffing pressure from Europe and the company to consider sharing doses of the shot.

"We have a small inventory of AstraZeneca so that, if approved, we can get that inventory out to the American people as quickly as possible," Jeff Zients, Biden's Covid-19 response coordinator, said at a press briefing Friday. "We're rightly focused on getting Americans vaccinated as soon as possible."
www.bloomberg.com

Biden Rebuffs EU, AstraZeneca and Says U.S. Will Keep Its Doses

President Joe Biden’s administration is holding on to its stockpile of AstraZeneca PLC vaccines, even though the shot isn’t authorized for U.S. use, top aides said Friday -- rebuffing pressure from Europe and the company to consider sharing doses of the shot.
It's Trumpism with nice words
I just hope the US helps Mexico first, as we share a very porous border. Very selfish, I know.
Mexico, like Canada is getting vaccines from the EU

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Our country recently received some doses of moderna vaccine, so it can be done.

That sounded odd to me.
Then I realised that Singapore is a logistic port for the US navy in the south China sea.
And quite a big weapon importer.

Im sure its just me, using vaccine as diplomacy is something only bad countries do right?

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
The New York Times article you linked states that this is due to the fact that the vaccine hasn't been approved yet for the US and the US is not exporting vaccines that they haven't approved. It also states that the delay is at least partially due to AstraZeneca not providing correct data to the FDA and them not applying emergency use authorization, for whatever reason.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Our country recently received some doses of moderna vaccine, so it can be done.

That sounded odd to me.
Then I realised that Singapore is a logistic port for the US navy in the south China sea.
And quite a big weapon importer.

Im sure its just me, using vaccine as diplomacy is something only bad countries do right?
The Moderna vaccine is approved in the US, though?

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
I saw the same reason.

The funding for the Moderna vaccine was primarily done by the US government and the US also paying a premium for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Vaccines made by the American companies were always going to be export restricted.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Duplicate thread, please continue discussion here:
www.resetera.com

Let's stop Celebrating Vaccine Hoarding!

Guterres said at least 130 countries have not yet received a single dose of COVID-19 vaccine. Rich nations ‘hoarding’ a billion doses of excess COVID vaccine https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/2/19/covid-vaccine 19 Feb 2021 “This huge vaccine excess is the embodiment of vaccine nationalism...

Status
Not open for further replies.