• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Preface: I like all three of these outlets. I sincerely believe that most—likely even all—of the people who make up these sites are good human beings. I've not picked up on any hints or red flags in the hundreds of hours I've spent listening to these folk over the past X amount of years that indicate otherwise.

In fact, it's precisely because I like them all that I find their generic "don't forget to vote!" messages to be so supremely pathetic.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Notice a trend? Their messaging suggests it doesn't matter who you vote for, so long as you vote at all.

Sure, one party is racist. And committed to expediting the destruction of the planet. And accepts regular mass shootings as the cost of doing business. And demonizes immigrants and refugees. And is responsible for (at least) tens of thousands of avoidable American deaths by promoting misinformation about a deadly pandemic. And [insert an additional thirty paragraphs here]. But none of that is important—the only thing that matters is voting for someone! Anyone! JUST VOTE, I TELL YA! THE ACT OF VOTING IS THE ONLY PART OF THE PROCESS THAT MATTERS! THE ACTUAL WINNERS ARE COMPLETELY INCIDENTAL!

There are two main reasons I can surmise for this:

The Vapid Reason

These people think the idea of democracy is inherently valuable, and that expressing your right to vote is ultimately a good thing—no matter who you cast your ballot for—because the more engaged the electorate the healthier the democracy.

Except whoops, exactly one half of the viable parties in America has gone all in on someone who won't commit to a peaceful transition of power, has done everything he can to undermine the legitimacy of any outcome in which he loses, has been hellbent on spreading baseless conspiracy theories about voter mail fraud, baselessy says he won the popular vote in 2016 because millions of illegals voted against him, rushed a partisan hack onto the Supreme Court so he can attempt to overturn the results if Biden wins, [insert an additional thirty paragraphs here].

There is, in fact, only one outcome that is good for democracy in this election, which renders this particular stance nothing more than a vapid platitude.

The Cowardice Reason

Here we get to the far more likely culprit: These outlets rely on listener support for their continued survival, and alienating any right-wing supporters will hurt business.

While I find that excuse despicable for big corporations, I honestly completely get it for small operations who's entire livelihood depends on direct support from an audience who theoretically has the power to put all of these people out of a job overnight (especially MinnMax and EZA since they are patreon joints). These groups aren't comprised of wealthy elites who who pursue the almighty dollar at the expense of any and all notion of ethics—they're passionate content creators who have provided people like me untold hours of comfort and entertainment over the years because they love what they do, even though their job security is almost entirely dependent on the whims of a few hundred people.

But if that's their calculus, then just don't say anything at all. You aren't obligated to pretend you're some apolitical outfit who has no conviction as it relates to our government. The only message this facade conveys is "we believe all opinions and viewpoints are equally valid, which is why the only thing we're advocating for is that you express yourself at the polls—regardless of whether or not your political views are draconian and abhorrent."

So, dear members of GB/EZA/MM (and likely dozens of others I don't listen to but would be glad to add to the wall of shame here if anyone sends me a link):

If you have a moral conviction about this upcoming election, don't pretend otherwise. Tell your listeners if they aren't going to vote Biden at the top of the ticket and democrats down ballot the rest of the way then they should stay the hell home instead of continuing to contribute to the decline of our society.

Conversely, if you've made the very understandable calculation that it's too big of a financial risk to alienate any right-wingers in your orbit because it could potentially collapse your entire operation and put you and your coworkers out of a job, then don't say anything at all. Because simply telling people to vote and leaving it at that is NOT a responsible use of your platform. It's a cowardly way of pretending you're doing something noble without actually having taking any of the risks associated with standing up for your beliefs.

Once again, I have nothing but well wishes for everyone at Giant Bomb, MinnMax, and Easy Allies. In fact, I'm sure some of them will even see this thread! I'm only calling you out because I otherwise like you all so much.

And for what it's worth, if any of you three groups explicitly endorses Biden or the dems before Tuesday (as a website... not an individual making a personal endorsement on Twitter), I'll sign up for another year of GB premium/make a $5 monthly patreon pledge.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really happy to see Kinda Funny just straight up say "vote for biden", I haven't seen much of that anywhere else. Then again, I've also seen multiple videos from multiple channels saying "vote" while also making it clear who to vote for without outright saying, "seriously, vote Biden". Either way, I don't think it's fair to assume that the rest of these channels are making decisions based solely on those 2 reasons you posted.

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Or let these people say what they want and leave them the fuck alone on their politics, or their lack of. No one has to justify shit to you.

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
No one, Biden voters included, is obligated to tell us who they're voting for or who they suggest we should vote for.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Im sorry, let me see if I understand this... You expect them to tell ppl who to vote for???

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
It's irked me a little too, although Giant Bomb has made it pretty clear where they stand, they haven't outright said it.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans buy sneakers too. They don't need to shove their political beliefs down my throat.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cant speak to the other 2, but giant bomb belongs to a giant media company that I can guarantee prevents them from explicitly doing just this.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I remember Easy Allies clearly supporting BLM so they would have turned off most right wing folks by now

Oct 29, 2017
If you need content creators to tell you who to vote for, instead of, you know, doing proper research, then I don't know what to say to you.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Telling someone to vote is actually the most progressive and liberal thing possible, as the more people who vote, the more likely progressively candidates win.

That is why republicans and the right get mad. The right get mad when people like Giant Bomb just tell people to vote. Or anyone.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
OP you are coming with a good intention, but what are they supposed to do? You, the next poster, my cat and me know very well who they are voting for, because their actions speak more than words.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
eh... EZA (and Giant Bomb) have made it abundantly clear that they don't like Trump. And we know for a fact that all the EZA members (except possibly Jones?) are pretty damn progressive, including Bosman even though he's not there anymore.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
This type of rhetoric pisses me off so much. Just SAY who you want us to vote for, we can all read between the lines.

I only really know the GB community, but there are a LOT of conservative GB fans (just look at the forums over there). And, I mean, OG GB content is not really the paradigm of progressivism either.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't obligated to preach to their audience. I'm only really familiar with Giant Bomb but their politics are pretty damn clear and Jeff has tweeted about Biden being the right choice.
Every person listening to the Beastcast knows them saying vote is them saying vote for Biden. It's not cowardice to encourage people to exercise their right to vote.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I was really happy to see Kinda Funny just straight up say "vote for biden", I haven't seen much of that anywhere else. Then again, I've also seen multiple videos from multiple channels saying "vote" while also making it clear who to vote for without outright saying, "seriously, vote Biden". Either way, I don't think it's fair to assume that the rest of these channels are making decisions based solely on those 2 reasons you posted.
Try Guys did it best

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, since you so vehemently posted your feelings on this, have you volunteered to work polls? Canvassed? Done work for a non-profit? Since your so condescending about this I'm sure you've done your part and checked all those boxes, right?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
The more people who vote, the more left leaning the election results will be. That's the idea behind telling people to vote without explicitly naming a candidate.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the reason Trump won is because nobody fucking voted. Now we have record breaking amounts of voting. Asking people to vote is fair. I don't care if they tell people who to vote for, people know their own values and personal interests. Good or bad. I honestly don't believe someone I like telling me to vote Trump for instance would have ever got me to mail one out for him.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
1. 'Vote the way we want you to' wouldn't be any more effective.

2. 'Go vote' is meant to spur the casually indifferent. That person is more likely to be driven by empathy than hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.