• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2019
London
Tom Warren's got the scoop:

On HDR:
"In partnership with the Xbox Advanced Technology Group, Xbox Series X delivers a new, innovative HDR reconstruction technique which enables the platform to automatically add HDR support to games," explains Jason Ronald, a partner director of program management for the Xbox platform team. "As this technique is handled by the platform itself, it allows us to enable HDR with zero impact to the game's performance and we can also apply it to Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles developed almost 20 years ago, well before the existence of HDR."

On Framerates:

Microsoft is also planning to improve and preserve some older games that run on the Xbox Series X by upping framerates. "The compatibility team has invented brand new techniques that enable even more titles to run at higher resolutions and image quality while still respecting the artistic intent and vision of the original creators," says Ronald. "We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30fps to 60fps or 60fps to 120fps."

Quick Resume will work for backwards compatible titles:
Alongside these game improvements, Microsoft is also revealing that its Quick Resume feature for the Xbox Series X can be enabled on existing backward compatible titles. Quick Resume is a feature that lets you quickly switch between multiple games, resuming where you left.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That's awesome. The most compatible game console is a very corny tagline but if it leads to amazing BC, I'm all for it.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
While this sounds awesome, don't get me wrong, fake HDR is usually worse than a normal SDR signal, I'm going to be wary of that one.

The framerate stuff, though, sounds great.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
This was already talked about a few months back I thought. Around the time of the Digital Foundry stuff.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'd like to know how they're adding HDR to games dynamically, since anything pre-Xbone (and a lot of that catalog as well) wasn't setup for it. Is it just going to map SDR to HDR? That will certainly... look like something.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that is what I call BC done right. Hopefully these enhancements will be available for a lot of third-parties.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The framerate stuff sounds great.

I dunno about the HDR. If it's not correct, it can ruin the picture instead.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
With more than 100,000 hours of play testing already completed, thousands of games are already playable on Xbox Series X today, from the biggest blockbusters to cult classics and fan favorites. Many of us in Team Xbox play on the Xbox Series X daily as our primary console and switching between generations is seamless. By the time we launch this holiday, the team will have spent well over 200,000 hours ensuring your game library is ready for you to jump in immediately.

Now this is a pretty clear and straight forward message.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
God Damn Delicious. MS forging ahead on how BC should be done. Some examples would be great!

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK!! 30fps games to be 60!!!!!!

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I remember hearing about their HDR for older game stuff. It's pretty dope. I wonder if Lost Odyssey will look better.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see this sort of patch (framerate wise) added to titles like the Division 2, or any of the Assassin Creed games, or Dishonored etc.. well I can dream I suppose..

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was seriously one of the most impressive bits about the xbox series x when they announced it back in march. they seem to be doing everything right this gen. i am so happy with the state of the industry at this moment. no complaints for either company.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Fable II with HDR and 60 FPS would be awesome.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Note how MS are now being clearer on these details just as Sony solidify they are going to talk about PS5, and BC specifically is part of that agenda, in the coming days. They are nicely giving little time for reaction, as I suspected will be a theme as Sony makes their announcements. If anything, the coming months will be amusing

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If I remember correctly, this is machine learning based. IE, they trained based on HDR games, and then apply that to old games. I think its fair to expect it to be better than the large majority of things that look to do similar things, and be better than 'fake' HDR games, but it will have some issues, and it won't be as good as native HDR support for sure.

But on paper, this approach should work really well for games that don't have HDR natively implemented.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While this sounds awesome, don't get me wrong, fake HDR is usually worse than a normal SDR signal, I'm going to be wary of that one.

The framerate stuff, though, sounds great.
Even the framerate stuff doesn't sound all that possible without patching games on an individual basis considering what we know about some game code out there.

It is good news, but I'm going to take it with only cautious optimism.

Let's hope there's also ways to toggle these options on/off in case we are not happy with how things play with the enhancements.

Overall though, this is a positive thing.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If I remember correctly, this is machine learning based. IE, they trained based on HDR games, and then apply that to old games. I think its fair to expect it to be better than the large majority of things that look to do similar things, and be better than 'fake' HDR games, but it will have some issues, and it won't be as good as native HDR support for sure.

But on paper, this approach should work really well for games that don't have HDR natively implemented.

Yeah, I think DLSS vs native res is a good indicator at how well-learned ML applications can preform.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Just a question, the xbox one is considered backward compatible on xbox one x and the cross-gen game wil benefit from this ? or it's only for OG and 360 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.