• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
So I was actively reading the spoiler thread and I was pretty happy with the new Pokemon. Even though there were way more cuts than I imagined, I was warming up to the idea of giving them a buy. But then I was immediately reminded that Game Freak chose to address the situation with a flat out lie as an answer to those of us who they forget are supporting them with their hard earned dollars.

I remember SerebiiJoe echoing since the 3DS days that the models they use are future proof and can easily scale to future games on more powerful hardware. I didn't really look into it but I thought "Hey no one is saying otherwise, so it must be true" so I had that in the back of my mind throughout this whole thing. But that wasn't concrete enough really, it was something that Game Freak themselves ended up doing that convinced me they are liars.

They didn't include all of the original 151 Pokemon (153 with the Meltan line) when they had JUST used them completely done and ready for the Pokemon Let's Go! games. Game Freak themselves said creating and animating the models was too much work for so many Pokemon, but they excluded a large chunk that were already done for the previous Switch games. And that really says a lot about a developer who outright made a choice which I believe they knew would expose that they were giving excuses, but thought the copies would be shipped and pre-sales would be through the roof by the time it was made known. Complete disregard for their audience.

All I'm saying is that Game Freak's actions make me rather skip out on a new Pokemon gen for the first time in my life. It is the worst kind of greed I saw with these games when they would have been making more revenue than ever now since they can charge $60 a pop. If I were them, I would have given a little more that was possible rather than give less which they made the choice to do. Because I would have actually believed that they just couldn't have all the Pokemon models ready for these games if they had included the PLG mons.

But they fact that they couldn't even let us have the ones we saw were already done for Pokemon Let's Go! proves that they are going to continue to look for more ways to get us to buy remakes, third versions, app purchases, and spin-offs to get to our favorite Pokemon.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Had they included all the 151 Kanto Pokémon people would have complained we get too many Pokemon from Kanto.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"lied"

The whole Let's Go thing you're talking about makes no sense because Sword and Shield is clearly running on a different engine

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they're the developers, they can choose what kinda game they wanna make, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Just because they didn't include all of Gen1 doesn't mean they lied about their work. This is the worst kind of gamer entitlement.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The internet in a nutshell (incorrect assumptions all day, everyday).
Nobody lied.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
"lied"

The whole Let's Go thing you're talking about makes no sense because Sword and Shield is clearly running on a different engine

Eh it uses the same battle engine, the only thing different is the shader of the models....

They could have been in
Lol, why would they include all 151 Kanto Pokémon though?

An extra lol to "lied"

Because they were ready to be used, why wouldn't they other than to skimp further on content?

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
OH MY GOODNESS GAME FREAK DIDN'T LIE ABOUT SHIT.

This stupid conspiracy theory BULLSHIT has happened one too many times now for this game.

MAYBE. Just fucking maybe going from 3DS to Switch is kind of a massive technological leap AND SOMETHING had to give way for a studio as small as Game Freak to make the jump.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Eh it uses the same battle engine, the only thing different is the shader of the models....

They could have been in

Because they were ready to be used, why wouldn't they other than to skimp further on content?
Why do you think they are skimping on content for the lulz?

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Whilst I absolutely believe gamefreak are at least putting a PR spin on the cuts because, you know, they're a company that want to make profit first and foremost, I'm not awfully sure what exactly the lie here is supposed to be?

They just prioritised different things.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
You are kidding right? I said I Would understand if they couldnt make all 900 Pokemon usable, but to exclude the ones they used in the previous games? Thats not laziness, it is greed and thinking about getting people to buy the Lets Go games

To me, that's "making a different game", not "greed".

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just because they "could" have put them in doesn't mean it would've made sense tho. It woulda been a hugely Kanto-heavy dex, woulda been weird. What a fuckin insane conclusion to jump to, that they "lied," like you just put whatever content you have in a game if it's available, no matter what.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018

They could have been in

In-universe-wise, it would be weird as fuck for Galar to feature all Kanto Pokémon and few of other regions. Honestly, it's entirely possible that they would have been able to add them, but there are plenty of design reasons why it might be a justified choice.

I guess the data could be included in the games without having those Pokémon appear in the wild, but still, the preferred treatment would only cause more uproar.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
What's with people thinking adding pokemon is just a cut and paste job? If it was that easy, it stands to reason they would have included them.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Tfw gen 5 has the most pokemon and love
d9e5ee3a94b4b9ce85ccd6f6b4769aafb423d92c_00.jpg

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The lie is the OP's intent. This is less about Pokemon and Game Freak and more about how the OP wanted to make this thread to part of an online harassment campaign.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Is my reading comprehension off, or is there no "lie" anywhere to be found in the OP?

They said that creating and animating the models for all the Pokemon was too much work, and I understood. But they had ones that were fully usable and instead chose to not make them included or compatible in any form.

Sep 14, 2019
Can someone DM me the total number of Pokémon in the games?

I've already seen more spoilers than I wanted to, so I don't want to go to the other thread.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The excuses they gave never really served as a justification for cutting Pokemon, much less cutting the roster all the way down to just 400 total.

It's insulting and flat out inexcusable.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Take a breath and go outside.

You'll probably still buy SwSh, and guess what? You'll probably still enjoy it, too.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Tho I am disappointed by the cuts too, I think if one thing the whole Dexit thing really explained is that Game Freak's pipeline is kinda confusing and this is a good example.

The best tech explanation I've seen was talking about that while models are shared, the materials for the models change between every game to suit the artstyle. LGP/E uses different material assets than Sw/Sh does, meaning that not even the Kanto mons would've just been able to be ported straight into the new games due to Let's Go because the models would require additional texture work to properly fit the new art style.

If anyone could find that reddit post again I'd appreciate it, as I have a hard time finding it. Might have been B.S. altogether, but was the closest thing to an actual tech explanation I've seen.

May 25, 2019
London
People really need to stop thinking that they know more about the logistics, economics, or realities of game development than the developers themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.