• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Humans may never develop immunity against Covid-19, according to new research on antibodies by Chinese and American scientists.
Their conclusion was based on a study looking at whether hospital workers in Wuhan who were directly exposed to infected patients at the early stage of the outbreak had developed antibodies. The deadly new disease was first detected in the Chinese city late last year.
At least a quarter of the more than 23,000 samples tested could have been infected with the virus at some stage, according to the scientists. But only 4 per cent had developed antibodies as of April.

"People are unlikely to produce long-lasting protective antibodies against this virus," the researchers concluded in a non-peer-reviewed paper posted on preprint website medRxiv.org on Tuesday.

Led by Wang Xinhuan from Wuhan University's Zhongnan Hospital and scientists from the University of Texas in Galveston, the study looked at samples from health care workers and general hospital staff in the city.

Wang's team also suggested that more than 10 per cent of the people in their study may have lost antibody protection within a month or so.
"Our findings have important implications for herd immunity, antibody-based therapeutics, public health strategies, and vaccine development," they said.

Based on their research, they said antibody tests may not be enough to tell whether someone had been infected, and the presence of antibodies like IgG may not necessarily provide immunity later.

"The idea of an immune certificate for recovered Covid-19 patients is invalid," Wang wrote.

www.scmp.com

There may be no immunity against Covid-19, new Wuhan study suggests

Researchers behind the non-peer-reviewed paper ran antibody tests on samples from hospital workers who were exposed to patients at early stage of outbreak – only 4 per cent had them, but at least 25 per cent could have been infected.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
The amount of information about this virus that changes on a daily basis is head-spinning. I don't know what to believe or not believe anymore, so I'm just gonna keep staying at home and wearing my mask when I can't.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but lack of antibodies also doesn't mean that you have no protection or immunity against it

Antibodies are pretty much all we have as a marker of immunity, but they're not perfect

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
oh my god.

edit: I really, really hope this turns out to be untrue or incomplete in some way. Because that sounds society-endingly dire to me.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The amount of information about this virus that changes on a daily basis is head-spinning. I don't know what to believe or not believe anymore, so I'm just gonna keep staying at home and wearing my mask when I can't.
It's barely a year old. HIV took years to figure out.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
why can't we treat it like the common cold/flu?...flu is dangerous for older people and those with underlying health issues...it's also very contagious...if you get it just stay home and recover

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Sorry, this sounds bullshit. What do they mean "could have been infected"? Does that mean they couldn't actually find a single person who had actually tested positive for antibodies and later lost those antibodies? What the fuck is this study?

Xia

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Same as with seasonal flues then. As expected.
Also "could have been", "may be".

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
We're fucked. No vaccine, no immunity, no relief from this ever. No legal mass gatherings ever again.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, it's not even peer reviewed yet.

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't people get really worried that everyone was going to get reinfected and then it turned out a bit later that it was some false positives or something?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, it's not even peer reviewed yet.

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't people get really worried that everyone was going to get reinfected and then it turned out a bit later that it was some false positives or something?
yes, which is why we shouldn't post sensationalist non peer reviewed information

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much where I'm at. My goal is to try and delay getting it as long as possible so there might be better treatments when I do get it

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
why can't we treat it like the common cold/flu?...flu is dangerous for older people and those with underlying health issues...it's also very contagious...if you get it just stay home and recover
COVID-19 is significantly more deadly than the seasonal flu.

We also have readily available flu vaccines right now whereas we have nothing for the coronavirus.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At least a quarter of the more than 23,000 samples tested could have been infected with the virus at some stage, according to the scientists. But only 4 per cent had developed antibodies as of April.

I'm no scientist, but this just seems strange to me. The people they were testing for the study weren't ever known to have had COVID, only that they were exposed to patients that did. How do you study the effects of something, based off of people who might have never had that something!?

EDIT: Also, at the very end:

But Wu Yingsong, director of antibody engineering research at the Southern Medical University in Guangzhou, said the Wuhan study should be treated with caution. He noted that most antibody tests only checked for a couple of antibodies to save time and cost – and that could mean false results.

So, yeah. This would be fucking awful news, but we really just have to wait for more info.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm no scientist, but this just seems strange to me. The people they were testing for the study weren't ever known to have had COVID, only that they were exposed to patients that did. How do you study the effects of something, based off of people who might have never had that something!?

yeah seems like a crock a shit.

New York continues to have high antibody rates, and you figure the peak of their infection was probably in March-early April, 2-3 months ago.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even worth worrying about this until way more research and studies have been done. We're much too far from knowing anything concrete. If this is causing you stress, just ignore the thread, it's not valuable enough yet

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take this with a grain of salt seems like. But yeah the best we are going to be able to do really for now is just to stay as safe as possible. Keep socially distant, use masks, wash your hands as much as possible, and don't touch your face.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.