• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

In this commercial, the "Pokémon Rescue Team" finds old, lost Pokemon games and transfer all the Pokémon into the newest games to bring them back to their happy owners.

This is the kind of messaging Pokémon has always given, that Pokémon are your something like pets to care about and you should bring them over with you, it's one of the aspects that sets the franchise apart. This was just 2 years ago.

The change of messaging after 20 years of stuff like the above is precisely why many fans are disappointed at the current decisions, despite many claims that "Gotta Catch 'Em All" was never the point. And I think it is worth discussing over just posting lists of "Snapped" Pokémon

Also it's a pretty cool commercial that's worth sharing.

The commercial has been recently removed from Official Pokémon Channels.

Nov 23, 2017
I don't really see how a TCPi marketing arm ad from 2017 has anything to do with Gamefreak (who we have to remember, are not fully controlled by the other TCPI entities) game development choices for entirely different games.

You can still do all this to Pokemon Home though and other games in the future that will have different/full dex. Do we really need another thread about this?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that's fine.

I kinda understood why it was disappointing like 10 seconds after it was announced at E3 though.

Not sure what else this adds beyond that basic understanding.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I'm pretty sure everyone understands the disappointment with the National Dex situation at this point given how vocal the fans have been

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'm pretty most people understand why people are upset.

The difference comes with the people who are disappointed but accept it and move on and those who continue to complain to point of insulting those who disagree.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Seriously? Did nobody ever see this coming one day? It was inevitable that they'd stop porting them all forward every game or that they'd have to quit making new ones. What's the point of a new game if there aren't any new Pokemon? Therefore, it means cutting back some.

Hell, it's a bunch of white noise for anyone who's coming in new anyhow with a bazillion Pokemon already. If they aren't in the anime, chances are non-hardcore don't even know them.

Oct 29, 2017
I understand your point but it feels pretty easily countered with 'this is what Pokemon home is for' as TPC have said as much.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This ad is about saving Pokémon from old cartridges and being able to store them forever instead.
'Dexit' doesn't change anything. This is the same as people bringing up the "Gotta catch 'em all" tagline thinking they cracked the code, failing to realize you've never even been able to actually catch them all in a single game.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The video bring removed is more interesting.

That's pretty much the point I want to discuss, the fact that they removed stuff like this in light of current criticism

I understand your point but it feels pretty easily countered with 'this is what Pokemon home is for' as TPC have said as much.

Pokémon Home has been confirmed to only work with Pokémon that are in Sw/Sh, meaning you can only bring over less than 49% of the roster

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The difference comes with the people who are disappointed but accept it and move on
Except plenty haven't, you can see them finding convoluted ways to mitigate or deny the discussion. Just yesterday or 2 days ago a user got banned for derailing a thread and admitting to reporting it to get it locked, as they didn't like the way the discussion was going.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
So many people in this thread defending Game Freak and completely missing that transferring Pokémon has been a core part of the franchise since Gen 3 at this point and is integral to so many people's enjoyment of the game. People are allowed to be angry about this, people are allowed to complain and make noise. This matters to them. If it doesn't matter to you, buy the new game and enjoy it. Nothing is stopping you.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon Home has been confirmed to only work with Pokémon that are in Sw/Sh, meaning you can only bring over less than 49% of the roster
Are you sure about that? I very clearly remember the announcement featuring a graphic that showed two-way transfers between SwSh and Home (for the Pokémon in SwSh of course), and one way transfers to Home from Go, Let's Go, and Pokémon Bank.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Seriously? Did nobody ever see this coming one day? It was inevitable that they'd stop porting them all forward every game or that they'd have to quit making new ones. What's the point of a new game if there aren't any new Pokemon? Therefore, it means cutting back some.

Hell, it's a bunch of white noise for anyone who's coming in new anyhow with a bazillion Pokemon already. If they aren't in the anime, chances are non-hardcore don't even know them.
You're right, the casual fans have no idea who *checks notes* Mewtwo or Squirtle are.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean I could've just named the thread "Gamefreak REMOVES Ad showing off Old Pokemon Transferring!!" for easy clicks

But I don't think that's quite the point

So that begs the question. What is the point here? Basically referring back to my comment. What are you bringing to the table here in terms of the discussion?

I know why this is disappointing, most people here absolutely do.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This just reminds me of how ridiculously stupid it was to transfer Pokemon to Gen 4 from Gen 3.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, the video wasn't removed that recently. I remember trying to find it before Let's Go and it was already down by then.

The cuts still suck hard though.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure about that? I very clearly remember the announcement featuring a graphic that showed two-way transfers between SwSh and Home (for the Pokémon in SwSh of course), and one way transfers to Home from Go, Let's Go, and Pokémon Bank.
You can transfer every Pokemon to home, but only those available in Sword and Shields regional Dex will be allowed to be transferred into the game

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
C'mon guys, just wait like 15 years if you want to see Inceniroar or Rowlett in a new game again. Why you gotta make a big deal out of it?
/s

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So that begs the question. What is the point here? Basically referring back to my comment. What are you bringing to the table here in terms of the discussion?

I know why this is disappointing, most people here absolutely do.

The messaging shift? The fact that despite many claims this HAS been a big part of the franchise for 20 years? And the fact that they removed it when they were gearing up to change all that.

It's not a good look.

Also the commercial is fun. Well made, great production values, and it's overall relevant to talk about given the current criticism

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You can transfer every Pokemon to home, but only those available in Sword and Shields regional Dex will be allowed to be transferred into the game
Yeah. That's what I meant. OP made it sound like Home will only accept Pokémon from the Galar dex though, which isn't the case as far as we know.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think they said that anywhere, the only thing they said you can only Transfer Galar Pokedex monsters into Sword/Shield, you can still transfer everything to Home.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
No one even knows about *checks notes* Bulbasaur. Despite being the first Pokemon listed in the Global Dex.
039.png

Casual fans: Literally who???

Nov 14, 2017
So many people in this thread defending Game Freak and completely missing that transferring Pokémon has been a core part of the franchise since Gen 3 at this point and is integral to so many people's enjoyment of the game. People are allowed to be angry about this, people are allowed to complain and make noise. This matters to them. If it doesn't matter to you, buy the new game and enjoy it. Nothing is stopping you.
But why do you care so much. Stop caring so much about a videogame. /s

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
We are getting one of these threads daily until the next year, right?

These threads won't stop since dex being cut is the rule now. Apparently playing with your kecleon that you caught on Pokémon Ruby 15 years ago is very important. Or maybe people just wanna create controversy and mock GF. Who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.