• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, another Spider-Verse thread and one trying to throw shade at the MCU. How original. Yes, yes, I still don't care. Everyone acts like the MCU is the end all and be all and you can't bring up past good hero films like Raimi because that was in the past and too cheesy, and Nolan was too serious and "realistic" so you can't expect the MCU to go that way either. Thus, you're locked out of any suggestions of making the MCU better, especially since the DCEU has been dumpster fire. That is until Spider-Verse, a modern, fun comic-book film featuring a Marvel character that also manages to actually nail actual character development and emotional depth with boldness and sincerity.

The main problem I have with the majority of MCU films is its inability or rather fear to ever take itself serious, even for a second. We can't actually have a character grieve or feel sad or feel genuine fear or really feel anything at any moment that requires us to pause from the fun. Any such moment must be immediately undercut by a joke. I think GOTG, especially GOTG2 is the only one that even attempts not to do this and GOTG2 is considered the "weaker" film by fans.

But, we're here to talk about Spider-Verse and this scene near the end in particular which is just so perfect as it operates on so many different levels.

I've often said MCU films just aren't very "clever" and Spider-Verse is a good example of a clever film with this scene. The scene displays how each character has grown and learned throughout the film, especially Miles, as it's filled with callbacks previously setup in the film. Like seriously, almost every exchange here is something from earlier in the film. Peter starts with "I can't let Spider-Man die!" a line he's stolen from Miles when they break into Alcamax, he's trying to use Miles' own logic against him. He then tries to reassure Miles that "it's okay," something he did previously when Peter found out the Prowler was his Uncle. But now, Miles is prepared, he's grown and reiterates that it is okay. Once again, using a setup from earlier in the film, he uses the same sweep takedown Peter did to him when he wanted to come on the mission.

FkijqqE.gif

wqCz0pD.gif

Then Miles hits him with the, "you gotta go home." Peter previously used this line when he tells Miles, "you gotta go," to leave everyone behind when Kingpin's crew attacks Aunt May's house. Again, Miles is displaying how much he's grown that he's reversing the hero's line back at him. Recognizing that Miles has grown, we get to the final exchange when Peter Asks Miles "how does he know he won't mess it up, again?" Echoing when Miles desperately asked Peter how he would know when he's ready. And, Miles gives Peter's advice right back at him. "You won't...it's a leap of faith." And with that, Miles let's go of Peter now fully prepared and confident to be Spider-Man. And Peter, whose been depressed and low-key suicidal the whole movie accepts the fact that he can turn his personal life around. Miles learns from the Peter how to be Spider-Man. And, Peter learns from Miles how to just be be Peter Parker. It's just a neat little bow on top of the whole film that legitimately brings me to tears, something the MCU has never done.

Brillant. Emotional. Poignant. And, clever.

Nothing in the MCU, that I can think of, comes close to this. Am I wrong?

Dec 12, 2017
I disagree with nothing in you post OP however, "Bury me in the ocean, with my ancestors that jumped from the ships, because they knew death was better than bondage." hit me right in the chest.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
You aren't completely wrong.

Your entire premise of "you can't bring up other good Marvel films around here like Raimi's Spider-man" is hilariously false and made me want to ignore the rest of your post. There are "Raimi Spider-Man movies are better than _" posts about 4-5 times a month. They are constant. I won't say that there are more Raimi-Tobey threads than MCU threads but holy fuck, it sure does feel like it. I say this as someone who stand for Raimi, Bruce Campbell and owns three different copies of Spider-man 2.

It's also bullshit to refer to "the MCU" as if it were only one movie and then say "it's all great" or "it's all awful" but we see it here every day. We should also retire the notion of "no emotional scenes in the MCU" especially after the last Avengers film had full theaters openly sobbing. The last hour of Endgame (thankfully) drops the formula of "ease the tension by making a joke" and forces the viewer to live in the sad or upsetting moments. It does exactly what you're asking for and that's probably why so many people have admitted to crying watching that movie.

I agree with the rest of what you said. Into the Spider-verse is brilliant and not only the best Spider-man movie but could arguably be called the best comic book movie period.

This was a good post, I mean that. I think you can make your point without essentially asking people to argue with you by instigating an argument.

PS- I also agree that GotG 2 is criminally mistreated by fans.

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty fucking sad when Tony died and it seemed to be handled in serious manner, but what do I know?

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with nothing in you post OP however, "Bury me in the ocean, with my ancestors that jumped from the ships, because they knew death was better than bondage." hit me right in the chest.

I forgot to bring this up after mentioning GOTG, but Black Panther is like the one movie that actually attempts to be sincere and not undercut every serious moment with a joke. I can just imagine Feige on the sidelines going stir-crazy as this scene plays out demanding that someone throw a pie in T'Challa's face to ease the emotional seriousness of that moment. Surprisingly, BP and T'Challa is labeled as "boring" to many people.

Your entire premise of "you can't bring up other good Marvel films around here like Raimi's Spider-man" is hilariously false and made me want to ignore the rest of your post.

There are "Raimi Spider-Man movies are better than _" posts about 4-5 times a month. They are constant.

Yeah, but those are immediately shot down with "Raimi is cheesy;" "Tobey was too old;" Not my Peter;" "Why was he always crying?" Etc. So people say they can't be compared because they're going for two completely different things, MCU is about fun, Raimi is about drama. But Spider-Verse shows you can have both.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting just a bit sick of this attitude where you have to bring something down in order to praise something tangentially related.

MCU isn't trying to be Spider-verse and vice versa.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I love this movie. It had many scenes that resonated with me. Same with the MCU.

I think people's inability to just enjoy things for what they are is pretty sad. It's an endless dick measuring contest that will never end.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone acts like the MCU is the end all and be all and you can't bring up past good hero films like Raimi because that was in the past and too cheesy, and Nolan was too serious and "realistic" so you can't expect the MCU to go that way either. Thus, you're locked out of any suggestions of making the MCU better, especially since the DCEU has been dumpster fire.
Jesus Christ, what a way to kill your argument in the first paragraph.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
f531094b0a5bed8f0462db004896647e.gif

[Son:]
How can I try to explain, cause when I do he turns away again
It's always been the same, same old story
From the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen
Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away
I know I have to go

[Father:]
It's not time to make a change
Just sit down, take it slowly
You're still young, that's your fault
There's so much you have to go through
Find a girl, settle down
If you want you can marry
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Why can't you just make a topic about this scene without involving the MCU in it?

After your hilariously insane Endgame thread, I can't really take seriously anything you say about the MCU.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Spiderverse and Logan have some of the best scenes in any comic book movie, or just movies for that matter.

That being said the MCU has Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, so it is hard for me to choose.

I'm just glad that comic book movies have gotten this good. I still remember when comic book movies were on the same level as video game movies for me.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It was literally the most obvious thing they would do. The "I am Iron Man" part just makes it even more cheesy, should've been silence.

If I had to pick a powerful scene from Endgame, it'd be all the old cap stuff, him living in another timeline, Bucky knowing what he'd do, the shield being passed on... THAT's a powerful scene.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay. Personally, I don't expect the next spider verse to be anywhere near as good as the first.
I mean, it's common sense since the original creators aren't signed on for the sequel. And I'm referring to the people who actually worked on the movie, not Kevin "the madman" "the genius" Feige.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think fucking Black Widow's death was emotional? How she and Hawkeye were fighting over who has to die? Lmao

I always found it weird how Black Widow would just randomly have these deep intimate relationships/friendships with the other Avengers. I'm like when the Fuck did all this happen?

A Wild Shark Appears

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
I don't make posts very often, but today I'm going to make an exception. These Spider-Verse vs. MCU threads are getting so fucking old. This is almost as bad as The Last Jedi being brought up in every single thread. It's ok to like movie a more than movie b. It's ok to not like things. It's even ok to have discussions about liking movie a over movie b. What's not ok is having the same stupid argument over and over and over and over and over and over. We get it.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why cant people like something without having to put down something else lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.