• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
User Banned (2 weeks): Trolling over a series of posts
edit for people that only read the first two lines in the OP:
again, killing dogs is in the game, and yes their NPC owners will react to it (it's in old previews too).
This is completely optional though.

If you've seen this thread:

www.resetera.com

The Last of Us 2 promotional email about a new feature: kill dogs and make their owner cry (no spoilers)

edit tl;dr: read below, this isn't about the dogs, this is about the marketing. I've just seen that on twitter, weird marketing choice: For those having an issue with embed: That's not exactly a new feature (killing dogs are in lots of games, and npcs having reactions based on what is...

It was (mostly) wrong! This marketing is from Gamestop, not from Sony (which wasn't implied in the thread btw).

Naughty Dog's director of communication chimed in the thread (it's in the updated OP, way before it was closed), and posted that on twitter:

Hopefully people read the OP this time! Posting that since apparently people only read titles.
My bad for people thinking this is some kind of hate campaign, the idiots on twitter sharing lies will still do that no matter what.

And mods can close it too since they didn't bother updating the thread of the old one, despite me requesting it as soon as I knew (just like the lock, even if it's implied I didn't).

edit: again, killing dogs is in the game, and yes their NPC owners will react to it (it's in old previews too).
This is completely optional though.

Last edited:

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im ready for the next immersive layer of killing doggos with backstories.

DLC Idea: you play as the dog's wife, looking for vengeance.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of "new feature" is this?
I hope this is optional, if not, I'm not buying this game.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I missed the initial thread but It's not even slightly surprising to see how little it takes for much of Era to humiliate themselves (Most especially regarding anything Sony/ND related) in an effort to be shitpost "first responder" with stuff like this.

Hopefully people read the OP this time!

lol, not looking good so far mate.

Oct 25, 2017
So this isn't in the game? Damn shame
It's there. It's just not glamorized like the description would have you believe.

www.ign.com

The Last of Us Part 2: How Dogs Change Combat...and Make for Tough, Moral Choices - IGN

The Last of Us Part 2 introduces dogs to combat, forcing players to make some tough choices while playing.

"Dogs are...interesting in that…it feels pretty messed up to kill a dog, especially when you hear it yelp," Druckmann said. "You're left with this situation where, 'OK do I want to ghost this whole setup,' which, you don't have to kill a single dog in this scenario [of the gameplay demo]. Or do you want to say, 'OK, I'm overwhelmed. I could shoot an arrow into this dog, then take out that owner and then go around this way.

So the strategies you can take and the options in the layout are much greater than we've done in the previous game."

Druckmann is referring to the Suburbs level of my recent hands-on preview time with The Last of Us Part 2, which saw me contend with several rounds of enemies and their dogs.

"This group, the WLF that controls Seattle, has bred and trained dogs to sniff out trespassers. You, Ellie, being new to Seattle, are a trespasser. Dogs can pick up on your scent, even though you're hiding somewhere and normally wouldn't be seen, a dog can slowly lead its owner to you," Druckmann explained.

Players can notice that scent in the game's returning "Listen" ability, which allows Ellie to not only see enemies' nearby locations but also notice the scent trail she's left behind. Dogs can be thrown off your trail by tossing a bottle or brick to distract them, or sneakily moving far enough away (and not being caught by others) so that they lose interest.

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So this isn't in the game? Damn shame

All the humans in the game have names, they'll react whenever something happens to another person they know. Similarly they'll react if their dog is hurt and their dog will react if they get hurt. And it's especially notable that you can go through the entire game without ever killing a single dog.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
My opinion remains the same, doesn't seem like a problem. Can't wait.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
"Killing dogs is necessary" this is plain WRONG. Please add to the op that you don't have to kill any of them. This is just going to confuse people again.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
As said in the other thread, this is in the game, the issue wasn't about that but the dumb marketing wording.

Multiple games have you kill dogs (optional), and multiple games have the AI acting "real" like they know the guy nearby. It's nothing new here.

edit:
"Killing dogs is a necessary" this is plain WRONG. Please add to the op that you don't have to kill any of them. This is just going to confuse people again.
Sure. That doesn't make people read the OP either.

Sep 14, 2018

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Either way, whatever the case, I'm honestly not looking forward to having to kill dogs in more realistic looking graphics. I'm going to do my best to avoid them at all costs.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely try to avoid killing any dogs or wolves in AC:Odyssey. If this is an unavoidable part of TLOU2, I'll have a really hard time playing it.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
The hate campaign against this game in the past couple weeks has gone far enough that I can see it influencing review scores significantly.

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of pure shite that's been flung this game and ND's way in the last few weeks has been unreal. It's kind of sad that people on here seem to be aligned with 4chan incels when it comes to having a hate boner for this game and studio.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 still looks to be glorifying violence as art as far as I can tell imo, and it still sucks.
The one game franchise that is actively being as realistic as possible to show you how gruesome and disgusting violence can be is literally the opposite of that. While trailers have shown LOUS2 has clearly been pushing a lil too far, it's still the same presentation.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
You know what would make me cry? Walking into GameStop to buy a new copy and they try to sell me the gutted one.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, still a bizarre way to promote a game.
They're describing a feature of the game. It's in a list of other features. Have you considered that it's there precisely because ND or the retailer wants to warn people about the feature so that customers who may have a problem with killing a pixelated animal are aware of this apparantly egregious inclusion prior to purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.