• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
www.tomsguide.com

PS5 is becoming a must-have console — and Xbox Series X isn't

The PS5's focus on exclusivity may work in its favor

I wrote a whole separate article on why Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was easily the most important game that Sony showed off, but it's an excellent microcosm of why Sony's whole presentation worked so well. First off, Rift Apart showed us something that Sony could not have pulled off on the PS4.

In both the gameplay trailer and the "live" demo (it was prerecorded, but we'll let that slide), we saw Ratchet and Clank dive through dimensional rifts and emerge in completely different, fully loaded levels just seconds later. This is a function of the PS5's powerful SSD, and demonstrates a variety of console-exclusive perks, all at the same time. The PS5 will let you play Ratchet & Clank games; the PS5 will load entire levels in seconds; the PS5 will have fun, colorful games with great graphics.

While we could debate the merits of game exclusivity all day (I'm personally against it), Sony has leveraged exclusive games in a way that makes the PS5 look very appealing. It gives buying the console a sense of urgency, as well as an implicit promise: "If you get a PS5, you will enjoy games that you can't play anywhere else." I'm not about to pre-order a PS5, but that's at least partially because Ratchet & Clank isn't a launch title.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Halo Infinite was probably the deepest dive we got on an Xbox Series X title, and most of what we saw in the demo would have worked almost as well on an Xbox One or a moderately powerful gaming PC. The draw distance was probably the most notable next-gen advancement, as distant objects rendered instantaneously, and with detailed textures. It's an impressive aesthetic development, and could have some marginal gameplay benefits on big battlefields. But it didn't do much to demonstrate that an Xbox Series X is absolutely necessity, even for Halo Infinite itself.

Im sorry what?
the worst graphical issues in the game are the most notable next gen advancements?

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Was I the only one who didnt care about the Ratchet SSD tech? It doesn't add anything mechanically new. It just changes what and where I'm shooting looks like. It doesn't fundamentally change the gameplay at all.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I don't see how any console is a must-have right now tbh.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Out of all the next-gen games we've seen, only RiftApart has made me go 'Wow!' similar to Killzone Shadow Fall did back in 2012. I mean I'm excited for all the other games like Demon's Souls and Horizon, but Ratchet has sold me next-gen the most.

Jun 5, 2020
Was I the only one who didnt care about the Ratchet SSD tech? It doesn't add anything mechanically new. It just changes what and where I'm shooting looks like. It doesn't fundamentally change the gameplay at all.
I didn't care about the tech. I wish instead of a new Ratchet & Clank game they gave us an Ape Escape Trilogy remake instead.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well ms did fail on their xsx pitch after the power talk months but ultimately it heavily falls on price imo .

So we have to wait and see. If ps5 is more expensive then this is a moot point .

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
The way I see it is..

PS5 is the must have console
Game Pass is the must have service

So... there's a lot of room in this space for both companies who both offer something slightly different. Console waring is lame.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
If you wanna look at it that way... nothing really changes gameplay at all. You're just pressing a bunch of buttons anyways

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This article isn't a good basis for a discussion and is unlikely to result in anything other than console wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.