• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Around the same time that the issues with Ellen were becoming public this year, tweets from women of colour—especially South Asian women—who worked on Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj, came out. They were sharing their experiences on Minhaj's lauded show as a gesture of solidarity with other people who worked on shows — shows that have been sold to the public as morally and ethically upright but which treated their staff in a dismal manner.

First, Sheila Vee, a former producer on the show, tweeted about her experience, only to go on to protect her tweets. That is understandable. After all, Minhaj is beloved by the "woke" Desis, and the social justice crowd in general. She was making herself a target by telling the truth.

0*81CcfTH6G2ORoEnC

In response to Sheila Vee's tweets, other women of colour who worked on Patriot Act also came forward with their stories. These include Pakistani news producer and writer Nur Nasreen.

Nasreen's point about a progressive ethos in front of the screen versus the hypocrisy of how un-progressively you treat the women of colour who work under you has really stuck with me. It is because, in my experience, this is what most social justice spaces have been like. For women like me, who have neither pretty or thin privilege, or light-skin or class privilege, social justice "activists" shun women like me because I do not have the connections and networks that they want access to in order to further their careers.

Many of these people are being lauded by our communities but if you talk to the most vulnerable amongst us, you will know how these people really treat those they see as having no value to them.

Nasreen's honest tweets prompted other women who worked on and around Patriot Act to talk about their experiences or what they have heard from others. New York Times writer Iva Dixit tweeted about how her friends on the show were made to feel.

Saw this piece blowing up on Twitter. There's some more in it.

kaliandkalki.medium.com

Are we just not gonna talk about Hassan Minhaj?

The Ellen debacle has been well documented. And by the Ellen debacle, I mean the bruhaha in which she has pretended to be nice and kind…

I did not know about any of this back when it came out. Just really disappointing to be reading this.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Wow...this fucking sucks.

I really hope the victims get the closure and recognition they deserve since I doubt they'll ever get the justice they should. I guess the showrunners were really about performative allyship instead of actually being allies when it came down to it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't heard about this. I wonder whether the seeming lack of clarity on what exactly happened contributed to it being forgotten. None of the tweets seem to reference specific events or provide clear examples and I imagine that would helped them get more traction.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I didn't even know about this. It's wild how things can drift by silently when the right people don't give a damn.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't heard about this. I wonder whether the seeming lack of clarity on what exactly happened contributed to it being forgotten. None of the tweets seem to reference specific events or provide clear examples and I imagine that would helped them get more traction.
I think this is the issue, there isn't a direct claim and this isn't to undermine so much as it makes sense as to why there may not have been much word of it as the article seems frustated about.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is especially disappointing when juxtaposed that the on-screen material was progressive and intersectional. I'm glad to hear the former staff speaking up.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
This also needs to be pointed out from the article.

For women like me, who have neither pretty or thin privilege, or light-skin or class privilege, social justice "activists" shun women like me because I do not have the connections and networks that they want access to in order to further their careers.

Many of these people are being lauded by our communities but if you talk to the most vulnerable amongst us, you will know how these people really treat those they see as having no value to them.

The dissonance between the progressive way these people present themselves and how they actually treat people is THE reason I have stopped going to social justice events or being part of these c̵l̵i̵q̵u̵e̵s̵, oh I mean, communities.

It's not the first time I've heard things go down like this and it sadly won't be the last time.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it was awful for all of them but I wonder what the specifics are. It seems everyone is speaking cryptically and no one wants to be the "one" to come forward with specifics.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This is especially disappointing when juxtaposed that the on-screen material was progressive and intersectional. I'm glad to hear the former staff speaking up.

Yea I'd always thought the show was fairly progressive so that's super disappointing to hear the lead isn't as nice of a person as they appear to be onscreen. Wish we could go back to the days with Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah, I read through it and it's hard to pin things down.

Based on the number of accounts, I guess the takeaway is that the workplace was indeed toxic, but there's nothing tying Minhaj specifically to that. Although, since he is the star of the show it's likely he was at least made aware of it but just didn't speak up, which is indeed bad for a prominent progressive (this is assuming he had nothing to do with the toxicity himself, mind you).

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was going through these tweets trying to hear what actually happened, but couldn't find anything. I can see why this vagueness makes it easier to just brush off than the more specific incidents and anecdotes about Ellen

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really like(d?) Minhaj, so I would like to know exactly what went down so I can judge accordingly. Really doesn't sound good though.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Okay I was rereading the tweets and this is what I thought I was missing. I was wondering if I simply skipped over anything because there is nothing else there. Hopefully they will continue to talk out and the people responsible get held accountable.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this is the case from the tweets and the article. Which, with respects to the Article's writer asking why nothing was taken to task about it, I think the lack of specifics definitely is not helping. Though if course of these individuals don't want to be specific about it then that's up to them.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Unless I'm missing something, none of the tweets or the article in the OP say anything about Hassan being an offender directly, one person is talking about the showrunner but that's the most specific thing I have seen.

Let's wait a bit for some more information before burying Hassan.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
By the way-if this is about Hassan, then the irony of him joining the cast of The Morning Show is mind blowing.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Unless I'm missing something, none of the tweets say anything about Hasan directly, one person is talking about the showrunner but that's the most specific thing I have seen.
Yeah, my takeaway is that there were issues in the back of the house. They may have involved him, but he isn't being called out specifically.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So what exactly happened here? These chains of tweets are hard to parse. Was Hasan the problem? Was the head writer the problem? Was it systemic?

Like I'm sorry but this is all extremely vague and while people don't need to share the bloody details of their trauma if they don't want to I'm not sure what takeaway they want us to pull from these tweets. Who was the bad guy here?

May 19, 2020
Are people actually shocked by performative allyship by celebrities/pundits? I feel like a story like this happens like every 2-3 months or so, so and so celebrity projects
the right politics/attitudes and then is a total shit behind the scenes.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
This should be looked into, but I'm also very confused about what is happening behind the scenes

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That's really terrible to learn. The topics and stories the show addressed were usually very informative and had a different perspective that was good to have.
Nobody deserves to be treated badly at work and made to feel so terrible they are breaking down in tears for days. That's awful, and the people working, researching, and writing for the show deserved so much better than that.

Hopefully exposing these issues and sharing their experiences helps them to heal and they have better work experiences ahead of them.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Soooo....what happened? I can't make out anything from the tweets.
Yeah, I was going through these tweets trying to hear what actually happened, but couldn't find anything. I can see why this vagueness makes it easier to just brush off than the more specific incidents and anecdotes about Ellen
Okay I was rereading the tweets and this is what I thought I was missing. I was wondering if I simply skipped over anything because there is nothing else there. Hopefully they will continue to talk out and the people responsible get held accountable.

Joining with these voices. It's hard to generate much outrage, when we don't know even the nature of the allegations.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I read the article but like...everything in it was very vague. It's very frustrating though that this writer's room had multiple women in it and still managed to be toxic.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Are they saying Minhaj himself treated them poorly or that the show in general was a hostile work environment? I browsed through the article and couldn't find anything specific.

Mar 3, 2019
Hard for me to care about the outrage they are looking for when there isn't anything of substance in allegations or really anything but cryptic tweets. I understand not wanting backlash, but if you are going to tweet stuff like that then you need to have the receipts, otherwise it just looks like people who are airing grievances after leaving a show using the least responsible way of vague accusations.

Effnine

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to know the details. When you're in a competitive industry, it's not all roses and sunshine. I don't understand why people are so quick to judge here without knowing anything.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Are they saying Minhaj himself treated them poorly or that the show in general was a hostile work environment? I browsed through the article and couldn't find anything specific.

Everyone is being vague and no one is giving specifics - which allows speculation to run rampant.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

The only specific mention is for the showrunner, none of the tweets or the article imply Hassan has done anything directly.

It's all really vague and I'm afraid this topic will devolve into "Fuck Hassan Minhaj" without proper information.

OP
OP
WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was second guessing even posting this because the claims are vague but then, would these women who worked on the show come out at all if it was nothing? It's hard enough saying anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.