• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Dogs have smell receptors up to 10,000 times more powerful and accurate than humans. That allows certain trained dogs to sniff out diseases like cancer, malaria and viral infections.

Now, according to German researchers, trained dogs can sniff out coronavirus infections.

A new study, which was piloted by the University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, the Hannover Medical School and the German Armed Forces found that, if properly trained, dogs were able to discriminate between human saliva samples infected with SARS-CoV-2 and non-infected samples with a 94% success rate overall.

The hope is this method of detection could be one day be used in public areas such as airports, sporting events and other mass gatherings (in addition to laboratory testing) to help prevent future Covid-19 outbreaks, according to researchers.

To conduct the study, researchers trained eight dogs from Germany's Armed Forces for one week. The trained dogs sniffed the saliva of more than 1,000 people that were either healthy or infected with the virus. Samples infected with Covid-19 were distributed at random and neither the dog handlers nor the researchers on site knew which ones were positive.

In a YouTube video about the project, Maren von Koeckritz-Blickwede, a professor at the university, who conducted the study, says they think dogs are able to do this because the metabolic processes of an infected person "completely change."

"We think that the dogs are able to detect a specific smell of the metabolic changes that occur in those patients," she says.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, if theme parks are going to open, the least they can do is unleash the Covid Hounds on guests coming in.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I heard the actual COVID 19 tests are very unpleasant. If this is a good way to detect it, that would be great. Also seems faster than going into a lab for results. That said, how can we guarantee that 94% can turn into 100%?

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
I heard the actual COVID 19 tests are very unpleasant. If this is a good way to detect it, that would be great. Also seems faster than going into a lab for results. That said, how can we guarantee that 94% can turn into 100%?
I don't think any of the COVID tests are 100%.

One thing to consider is that dogs can get the coronavirus. I don't know if it's actually dangerous for them but does that affect the ethics of using them like this?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

One thing to consider is that dogs can get the coronavirus. I don't know if it's actually dangerous for them but does that affect the ethics of using them like this?
dogs are vaccinated against coronavirus. Even if they're not is this version of it even able to to transfer between humans and dogs?

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

I've never heard of dog contracting it. I've heard of cats and lions contracting the virus.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
No offense to the dog lovers out there, but why not a more intelligent animal like a dolphin or something?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Having done the swab test here in the UK three times now it's ultimately not that bad, just awkward to do for yourself. Getting to the tonsils without touching anything else is annoying

Would love for dogs to be able to sniff it out instead either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.