• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I think it's a shoutout to this.

www.spectator.co.uk

Why are London police telling women to stay at home?

The disappearance of Sarah Everard in south London has once again led to women being advised by police to stay at home and be extra vigilant, according to a report in the Sun. Such warnings perpetuate damaging myths about danger, for example that only men can protect women and, ergo, women can’t...

Irony is my fiance was watching a Netflix doc on a serial killer in the Uk around the 70's - 80's and the cops were recommending the same thing to women back then as opposed to, I dunno, doing their jobs?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
What's actually going in in the UK and Ireland at the moment is Twitter is filled with men saying women should stay at home.
You literally have men saying women shouldn't travel on the tube, on their own, at night, etc etc. Women are rightly pissed about this as they're not the ones that should be curfewed.

Last edited:

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018

www.spectator.co.uk

The disappearance of Sarah Everard in south London has once again led to women being advised by police to stay at home and be extra vigilant, according to a report in the Sun. Such warnings perpetuate damaging myths about danger, for example that only men can protect women and, ergo, women can’t...

Irony is my fiance was watching a Netflix doc on a serial killer in the Uk around the 70's - 80's and the cops were recommending the same thing to women back then as opposed to, I dunno, doing their jobs?
The importance of context...

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

www.spectator.co.uk

Ahh, the added context helps tremendously.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with this lmao.

The curfew for men that is, not the guy in the tweet

Last edited:

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
You always know that a tweet is in good faith when it's from a Torygraph and Daily Mail commentator.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's on the back of the murder of Sarah Everard by an off-duty officer, and the consequent discourse around women's safety in public.
What's actually going in in the UK and Ireland at the moment is Twitter is filled with men saying women should say at home.
You literally have men saying women shouldn't travel on the tube, on their own, at night, etc etc. Women are rightly pissed about this as they're not the ones that should be curfewed.
If that's the context, then this comment from her seems like a fair response.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

www.spectator.co.uk

context helps quite a lot

every time some crime is perpetrated against women, the "solutions" involve restricting womens freedom but never curfews/restrictions for men. its to point out how bad that practice is

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's actually going in in the UK and Ireland at the moment is Twitter is filled with men saying women should say at home.
Precisely.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Not related to the tweet but I really despise Calvin Robinson and his clique of right wing grifters.

All round nasty, nasty people.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue here, at least to me, is the combination of the supposed occupation and gender of the person. Fact is, when a police officer asks you to do something then you are likely to comply and I think not trusting police adds a whole other risk factor...

Imagine being in a domestic abuse situation and you can't get away from your partner because you can't trust the police (yes, I k ow this already happens)

Also, it's the houseof lords... Why would someone get outraged over a bill that can't do anything? Oh right, because it is the express. Of course.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
What do we do about male cops enforcing the suggestion??

Ban them too! They clock out at 6 lol

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind that tbh. I'm a pretty small guy and I'm definitely fearful whenever I walk around by myself. Though I feel like the guys who were maybe gonna do something wouldn't mind about breaking a curfew but who knows.

(edit) it'd also make me feel better about my mum for example walking her dog late at night.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017

www.spectator.co.uk

70's - 80's were insane everywhere. Watching that documentary on the Golden State Killer story and Michelle McNamara's life (Patton Oswalt's late wife) it was horrifying how much news coverage over serial killers was basically like "If you're a woman then dress modest and don't be outside a lot because then you might be a target of the Golden State Killer". Victim blaming was so nonchalantly stated and done so with an air of "this is helpful".

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This thread has been locked as the tweet is conveniently missing all vital context of the surrounding media debate in the U.K. that Baroness Jones is referring to, regarding who should take the responsibility to change their actions to make women feel safe at night, plus the Daily Express is a tabloid and thus a banned source.

If someone does want to make a thread on the topic with good sources and framing explaining the issue of exactly what led to this commentary, rather than hosting Robinson twisting it to further some other political axe to grind, (the video itself is of course fine), then please feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.