• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
B-Dubs Delphine Windrunner Poodlestrike ..... @all other mods

On August 18th (Tokyo Time), I stumbled upon a thread regarding the results of the Asian Era Meeting. I very rarely ever peak into the stickied topics, so I don't know why I ended up in this thread in the first place.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/takeaways-from-meeting-with-asian-members.269460/

I read through the points, and everything seemed more or less fair. The mods said they were going to take the feedback from the meeting to better moderate certain topics and issues involving the Asian era, as well as ban certain news sources like the Epoch Times. Overall, the points and changes seemed fair, but still rather small compared to what could be done. I would've just nodded, thought "fair enough" and moved on if I hadn't have continued reading.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/asian-era-meeting.255105/page-6

Apparently the Asian Era Meeting wasn't as productive as the moderation team had proclaimed in the OP. Several era members involved in the thread were voicing their complaints over how the moderation staff ignored or brushed off several key points brought up during the thread, especially over the moderation process, transparency within the moderation process, and the inconsistency on how certain subjects were moderated. Ultimately the thread was closed prematurely with several members within the Asian era throwing their hands up in the air, and basically giving up on any real change.

Not even a day in, the thread was shut down due to the overwhelming amount of negative feedback from Asian Era, as well as others who had stumbled upon the thread. the mods basically justified it by saying it was because the conversation had steered away from the points discussed in the meeting. The reality is that the thread was locked and hidden away because the mods were embarrassed they weren't being heaped with praise for doing the bare minimum.

I'm not here speak for the Asian community as I'm just a 30ish white male who is here to discuss games, follow anime threads, and stress over American news and politics. But I know bullshit when I smell it, and what I witnessed through reading the meeting thread and the takeaway thread was the moderation team hoping to make some quick fixes, and ultimately throwing their hands up in the air and giving up because making the changes necessary to truly help this community would be "too difficult". Also, rather than holding themselves accountable for their mistakes in how they handled the meeting and the "mission accomplished" thread, they would rather sand blast any trace of their fuck ups at the expense of the Asian members of this forum.

I'm posting this knowing full well this may result in a ban, and may not lead to any lasting change, but at this point, either the changes are made, or I'll happily take the B' and fuck off forever. If this year has made me weary of anything, it's leadership never taking the full steps necessary to solve things. I'm also fucking sick of people never owning up to their fuck-ups, and instead either shifting the blame, or flat out denying the problem and/or hiding the evidence. I'm just fucking done with the dishonesty. It's why we're breathing air through cloth right now, it's why many of us wonder if we'll have a future after all this, it's why many of us have no hope

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These things always go well for admins behaving like this. Guess Tyler snuck on over to this site.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Unban Redeye97 and actually hold a genuine discussion with AsianEra that takes their concerns into account

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more you lock these threads, the louder this gets. This is not going to be swept under the rug.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about having a discussion instead of locking, deleting and banning everything and everyone involved? Would be a nice change.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's god damn thread whack a mole

Go post in the bugs thread, they seem to respond in there

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Mods have to realize things will boil over at some point if they keep locking threads and ignore obvious issues. At this point after weeks of hearing from frustrated members on different channels, I have to ask myself, what's the goal here: Protect the feelings of the staff first and foremost? Another mass exodus? I dunno.

Establish a public channel for feedback and discussion that doesnt get locked instantly, ffs.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Locking the threads all the time is pretty fucked up.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly if we just keep suppressing the voices, they will be silent and accept things!

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unban Redeye97 and have a place for discussing moderation. The time spent on locking all the threads could have been used for a somewhat productive discussion already.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
Can we get any kind of communication here? This is straight embarassing for the mods and will not go away.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like continually shutting down discussion brings more attention to the issue rather than less. You'd think the admins would realize that by now after how often they pull this.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's some real bullshit. They wouldn't have done what they did if a better discussion could take place.

It's pretty incredible how often an issue like this comes up. It's a really bad look and at some point some really drastic measures have to be taken.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's for the best that the community be given a chance to air their grievances. If people start going off on one then sure, close, but justifiable frustration at poor moderation and discussion? That's something that we can talk about.

You're not the bad guys here. Nobody is. We don't hate you.

All we want is what's best for this site and that it achieves the goals it set out for from the start.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is why we need a feedback thread, how many times do things need to blow up in staffs faces before the they make some sensible proactive choices?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Every single action taken by the staff here looks horrible, and it's not the first time this has happened.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Explain yourself and that reactionary ban!

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
This situation has been handled real poorly, Redeye didn't deserve to be banned

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Oh look mods are locking and deleting threads again, the internet equivelent of running away

Oct 30, 2017
Staff members are required to avoid any involvement in moderating disputes that they have personally taken part in. This means that a moderator will never moderate a user for an argument between the two. Instead, any relevant reports are handled independently by other moderators on the team. We do our utmost to ensure that moderation is impartial, objective, and not driven by emotion. On the other hand, when it comes to community threads that might each have a unique culture, we always seek to consult staff members who are familiar with that community in order to avoid potential misunderstandings.

Which Asian mod is approving all of these locks and user bans?

Status
Not open for further replies.