• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
As someone who grew up playing Red and Blue as a child, Pokemon holds a special, nostalgic place in my heart. But since the days for the original 151, I haven't followed most of the games in the franchise, and have only played a couple over the years. I've continued to love the aesthetic though.

It was with this in mind that I picked up Shield, thinking this would be a good onramp back into the series (I also played Let's Go). But a feeling has struck me 6 or so hours into the game. There are too many pokemon. Seeing all the conversations about the national dex and the cuts, I kept coming back to the idea that this would not bother me because frankly, I probably recognize about 200 pokemon at this point, and most of them are gen 1, so 400 sounded like a lot. But now I feel like 400 might be too many.

As I wandered through the first wild area, I found myself presented with myriad pokemon walking around. Before I knew it, I was looking at a box of 20-30 pokemon, almost all of which I really didn't know the first thing about. Sure, I could look at their stats, and types, but would they be good long term such that I should keep them in my party? Will they learn interesting moves? Will they evolve into something fun? As I understand, unless I'm looking at playing competitively (Which I guess I'm not, because I'm not going to go look up the best min-max approach to this game 6 hours in), it doesn't really matter; I can pick whatever, level it up, and I'll be able to make my way through the game. But it really just feels like I have this massive pool of characters and I'll never know anything about the majority of them. It seems like I'll be lucky to know 30-40 of them well by the end of the game.

Beyond the learning curve though, there are times I just wonder, "Did they really need another pokemon that looked like this? Was this the most interesting, differentiated thing they could come up with?" A couple early examples:
833.png

Chewtle - Another water-type turtle? Ok. That design too... The horn, the unibrow, the tooth that looks like a dumb smile. My wife walked into the room and immediately remarked, "Ooh, I do not like that thing," when she saw it on screen. Regardless of me thinking the design is pretty bad though, it really does seem repetitive to have another water-turtle pokemon.
835.png

Yamper - My first thought was, "Aw, a cute dog!" But the more time I spend with Yamper, the more he just looks dull. The derpy look on its face is funny at first, but just starts to look vacant as time goes one. It seems largely constructed of simple shapes and colors too that look rather dull, especially when they lack shadows. It likewise doesn't have any interesting dog-like animations which would have gone a long way to lending it personality. On top of that, an hour or so later, what do I find? Another electric dog pokemon!? Electrike. Frankly, why? You wanted to make a corgi design, which is great, but you chose to make it electric when you already had an electric dog? And then you put both of those pokemon in close proximity to each other in the game? I don't get it. Did no one raise this concern?

I've also already seen three or four "flower" pokemon. And don't get me wrong, I like flowers a lot, and I generally like their designs, but once again, it felt like maybe some of these shouldn't have made the cut. Same with many of the "fish" pokemon; many of them just have not looked interesting and unique.

So, unpopular opinion time; so far my impression of Pokemon Sword and Shield is that there are too many Pokemon, and of those pokemon, many of them feel repetitious. I'm wondering if I might be enjoying the game more if there were maybe 200, and all of them felt like unique creatures that all offered something interesting in their own way. Perhaps as well we could see more animation and personality added to these designs. As far as I can see, so far, more is not better.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you try to argue in favor of Dexit but accidentally argue that the new Pokemon suck

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I find it strange you say all that but the two pokemon you point out as problems in relation to cuts are two of the new pokemon for this game.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, in my mind I think this is the reason why they've cut the ones they did. I think they're seeing this as kind of a soft reboot, and they know that a lot of new players will be coming in. If they had the whole Pokédex available, it may just be overwhelming to those players. I know for me as someone rekindling myself with the series, so far I'm happy that they're a little limited.

However I can totally understand it the other way around as well. The line between hardcore Pokemon fans and casual ones is REALLY strong with this issue. While I haven't spoiled myself on the total # in the game, if it's around half of the overall total which is what I'm thinkin it will be, then I'm A-OK. I don't know if I'd say they should cut MORE, but I like it this way.

Also Yamper rules. I generally love all the new pokes for this gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinions: Textures should be even more low resolution, all three starters should have been charmander, and the postgame should be the game surprise deleting your save and asking you to play again.

OP
OP
LavaBadger

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Leave Yamper alone you bastard

I like the idea of Yamper. I'm just not sure why they chose to make something that seemed to repeat a class of pokemon they already had. I'm certainly not keeping Electrike in my team.

When you try to argue in favor of Dexit but accidentally argue that the new Pokemon suck

I don't know what is "new" as of Sw and Sh. I only really know Gen 1 and some from Black and White. So if these examples are related to the new gen, that just turns out to be what I've seen so far.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants an example of why erasing Pokemon from existence is a horrible idea, just show them this thread so they can understand the mindset that it takes to actually be happy about it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree about Yamper, but in general, careful OP, you're making too much sense. The mob of upset Pokémon fans who like every nonsensical design they come up with will soon arrive. This is someone's favorite, after all.

824.png

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
You ain't wrong. Especially when a lot of the pokemon are generic replacements of others. Look at the early game trash type pokemon that are never relevant or viable beyond that but each game has it's own version.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Even without the cut, there would be the same amount of Pokémon in game, just that you would have been able to transfer your old Pokémon in after Home release.
Also Yamper is a good boy.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Another thread, another explanation that the national dex cuts have nothing to do with the regional dex.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
But the Nat Dex issue isn't about being able to have all 900 or so pokemons at once.
It's about giving everyone a chance to have their favourites.
Who cares how many mons are in the regional dex (which seems to be what you are complaing about), we haven't had all pokemon available in a single game in more than 15 years, it's all about whether or not certain mons are available for transfer into the game

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Did Cara Liss restore a Fossilised Genwunner and Fossilised Dexiteer as some nightmarish chimera or something

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, it makes sense to me that similar pokemon would live in similar environments, and that there might be more than one type of turtle in the entire world

that turtles evo is rock/water and kicks ass, so you and your wife's opinion is invalid anyway
834Drednaw.png

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it seem like you're cutting purely based on appearance and not based on typing/movepools? For instance Chewtle and Squirtle are both water turtles, but they're types and moves and use are completely different

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I think what SwSh tries to convey if not in a really aggressive manner is a sense of distinct biomes. For better or worse it is true the first 6-8 hours is frontloaded with Pokemon from just about every region. With that said, I actually don't feel like the new Pokemon get enough time to shine EXCEPT those two you specified!! I love the way Yamper spots you from the grass and runs to you, and Chewtle is great switch up in early-game typing availability from the typical normal/flying/bug. It gives a great impression in the those first few hours.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There was something worth discussing but OP botched it by shitting on the best new pokemon (there I said it).

OP
OP
LavaBadger

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
If anyone wants an example of why erasing Pokemon from existence is a horrible idea, just show them this thread so they can understand the mindset that it takes to actually be happy about it.

I don't understand what you're saying. I'm saying I'm not happy about the state of the game thus far. If anything, it seems to me like the cuts they've made haven't made a lot of sense, and if they were going to cut things, they should have cut for repetition. I guess cutting Squirtle in favor of Chewtle makes sense, but I'd rather they have came up with something new rather than just another pokemon that fits the same mold with a different design.

Oct 27, 2017
If game freak could get away with it, it'd only be Charizards everywhere.

The next games' rival will be Charizard, your next door neighbor and best friend. You'll visit his grandpa, Professor Charizard, who'll teach you about Charizarding, the next big battle mechanic where every Pokemon turns into a unique form of Charizard. The game will end with a major twist, when it's revealed that you were actually a Charizard all along.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooga booga me see pokemon with one theme, me see other pokemon with similar features, these two are the exact same thing.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The next games' rival will be Charizard, your next door neighbor and best friend. You'll visit his grandpa, Professor Charizard, who'll teach you about Charizarding, the next big battle mechanic where every Pokemon turns into a unique form of Charizard. The game will end with a major twist, when it's revealed that you were actually a Charizard all along.
I hope there's a scene like that Being John Malkovich movie in a restaurant filled with Charizards.

TGR Onix

Nov 3, 2017
Like Jim Sterling said, maybe the should've just done an entirely NEW Dex and forgo the classics and then maybe add them at certain intervals?

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
the animals have been redundant for so long. i see why they started making pokemon based off ice cream cones and keychains.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Hot take: the new pokemon don't fit in with the creative aesthetic of the rest of the series and generally don't look good. Everything from the designs to the color palettes just clash so strongly against every single other gen that I maybe like 2 of them because the rest just don't look like actual pokemon to me.

Also I haven't ever really complained about new pokemon--i have no problem with object pokemon (love me some klefki) I just think genuinely these stick out like a sore thumb

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You misunderstand. People don't have a problem with the regional dex having relatively few mons. People are angry because they straight up cut the national dex, and with it the data for over 500+ mons that now can't be transfered over from previous gens.

But besides that I find the entire premise of this thread strange. You're saying you aren't enjoying the game because it has too many new pokemon and you can't relate to them because they are... new? Isn't that kinda the point of these games, to go on an adventure and meet new characters and mons?

Status
Not open for further replies.