• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
kotaku.com

Uri Geller Says Nintendo Can Print Kadabra On Pokémon Cards Again

Spoon-bending magician Uri Geller gave Nintendo permission to use the character Kadabra on Pokémon cards today, after a 2o year legal dispute in which Geller claimed the Pokémon’s Japanese name and image were too close to his own.

wsneynm9pxskoxgvcmtu.jpg

LOL. This was a thing?

Spoon-bending magician Uri Geller gave Nintendo permission to use the character Kadabra on Pokémon cards today, after a 2o year legal dispute in which Geller claimed the Pokémon's Japanese name and image were too close to his own.

"I am truly sorry for what I did 20 years ago," Geller tweeted today. "Kids and grownups I am releasing the ban. It's now all up to #Nintendo to bring my #kadabra #pokemon card back. It will probably be one of the rarest cards now! Much energy and love to all!"

As Screenrant explains, while Kadabra is a word associated with magic, the Pokémon's Japanese name—variously written as Yungerer, Yungeller, and Yun Geller—seems to be a reference to Geller. Kadabra holds a spoon, a seeming reference to Geller's most famous illusion. Geller sued Nintendo over Kadabra in 2000, seeking damages and insisting the card stop being used in sets. "Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokémon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image," Geller said at the time.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
kotaku.com

Uri Geller Says Nintendo Can Print Kadabra On Pokémon Cards Again

Spoon-bending magician Uri Geller gave Nintendo permission to use the character Kadabra on Pokémon cards today, after a 2o year legal dispute in which Geller claimed the Pokémon’s Japanese name and image were too close to his own.

wsneynm9pxskoxgvcmtu.jpg

LOL. This was a thing?
www.resetera.com

Uri Geller lifts the TCG Kadabra ban after 20 years due to an apparent change of heart News

Searched for both Kadabra and Uri Geller but it seems like no thread has been made. This is... unexpected but kinda cool. EDIT: For some context, this is from Bulbapedia's page on controversies:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Well this is interesting. Lol it's probally true the spoon in his hand is def hilarious. I mean I guess the name but the character is nothing like him

Status
Not open for further replies.