• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you own a gun/firearm?

• Yes

Votes: 140 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 215 24.6%
  • Nope, but I know someone who does

Votes: 374 42.8%
  • I'm not in America, but want to see the results

Votes: 144 16.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm based in London, England, so I I'm not in tune with the American Ways, but I've always wondered about Gun/Firearm Ownership.

This is just a Simple Question, you don't have to comment why you do or why you do not if you don't want to.

No judgement or anything, but since this Forum is very American-Centric at times, I thought I'd ask.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I'm actually not sure if I know someone who does. Probably though, as I know people who have gotten gun licenses/had gun training

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have a prop pistol (not a real gun, just a replica incapable of firing any projectiles) that I used in a couple student films I shot in college, but otherwise, no. I don't even want to be around firearms, much less own them.

My neighbor growing up definitely had some kind of rifle, though. :(

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I've ever actually seen a gun up close, outside of a museum setting or what have you. Don't know anyone who's ever owned one to my knowledge.

Living in urban/suburban New England helps.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I do. I kind of hate that I do but I live in a very rural town where you may need to deal with a rabid or aggressive animal. It's locked up very securely and other than target shooting to ensure I'm able to use it properly, I never even think about it.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
No but I know a few people with entire rooms of their house dedicated to storing firearms.

DeBurgo

Oct 28, 2017
The majority of americans don't own guns. IIRC it's like a 2/3rds or even 3/4ths split similar to non-trump supporters vs. supporters.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
no. i will never touch a gun. not unless there will be a need to kill every day going forward. we're not there yet. and if we ever get there, i'm not sure i'd want to be a part of it

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 37 years old and I've literally never even touched a gun

Edit: the person I know with one is a defense attorney who lives in Detroit who bought one after he was assaulted by a former client. He does his training and keeps it in a safe inside a safe. It's a handgun of some kind.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
No, and I wouldn't feel comfortable owning one ever. I'm not sure if I know anyone who does, I've never asked.

Actually, scratch that, I live in the south and some of my family members hunt, so probably.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I own a pistol. It's locked in a 700lb firesafe that only myself and my wife know the combination to and I've only used it to shoot targets at a range. I'd gladly get rid of it if we could pass laws making them harder to get and keep. I have fun with it but it's not worth all the misery and death we deal with daily.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Plenty. I'm also a certified instructor and regularly train military and law enforcement and regularly train with military and law enforcement.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Personally no, not currently.

I grew up hunting so everything I had from my childhood is still at home. Anything that was mine is away in a gun safe.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I used to.
Target shooting was a fun hobby.

But i had kids and didn't want a gun in my home and sold it.

I also live 30 minutes from the biggest military base in the whole world. So literally almost all of my neighbors are gun owners.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
If you in USA, yeah you know someone that has a gun. You might not have had that conversation but come on, you know someone.
I personally don't have one but yeah, here in AZ, you don't even need anything to have a concealed weapon so I definitely know many people with guns. And a few, if I were a betting man, I'd wager have a small arsenal.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
No. I won't go to the house of someone I know who owns guns, either. I won't be around people open carrying, I will leave. I already know countless people I pass by every day are concealed carrying. I can't avoid that. But I will leave a place if people are open carrying. I have no desire to be around any guns. If I had access to a gun, the first thing I would do is blow my brains across the room.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
I think there might be a couple of antique BB guns in my garage (from my mom) but no. I do know a guy who has a basement vault filled with all sorts though. His father is a collector and the family are kinda prepers. There's no doubts in my mind a large number of my neighbors are likely armed, and this is Massachusetts.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
I don't. If they were cheaper, maybe I would've gotten one just to have it, but not spending $500+ gun safe etc additional costs for something I'll never use. I've been shooting at a range a few times. I mean, it's fun, but not that fun that I'm willing to invest that kinda coin.

Violent\gun crime is very low here, so no need to strap up for safety purposes

In NH, we have very 'liberal' gun laws and tons of hunters, etc. So I know tons of folks that have at least one.

ThatRebel

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm probably one of the few in Texas that does not own a gun. Damn near everyone I know has one though, you just don't see them. They're (allegedly) for protection and they don't get shown off.

Had an old roommate that was a felon and ran with tough crowds. I'll never forget coming home one day to several assault rifles sprawled around the living room floor and kitchen table. Good times.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, my dad gave me some, some type of AK-47, a shotgun, and a Mosin–Nagant to be specific. He might also pass on to me his .357 as well. I haven't actually fired any of them, he has, and haven't fired a gun in over 20 years. Thinking about it I should probably remember to get them checked out first if I ever decide to take one to a range.

Not really a gun guy, but figured "sure, why not" when he asked if I wanted em.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Always seemed like a terrible idea for self defense. It's literally the fastest way to escalate a situation.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Yes, it is a small 9mm pistol and has only ever been used for target shooting recreationally. It is stored unloaded and locked in a safe and always has been.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
No. My dad has a couple of hunting rifles but he usually hunts with a bow.

I can't imagine a scenario where I would want to own a firearm.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I own two guns, one of which was an heirloom inherited from one grandfather and the other was a gift from the other and is basically a close to non-functioning prop gun. Both are in storage and will probably never be used.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
No, I hate guns. But my sister and brother-in-law in Florida own a shitload of guns ranging from handguns to shotguns to AR-15s. They thankfully keep them in a gun safe, but it always weirds me out. They have at least a dozen guns in that house.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
No, but I live in rural Ohio. I grew up not even flinching at hearing gunshots, but that's also because we were in the country and it's pretty normal to hear gunshots around there as people hunt or kill vermin. You know, the intended uses of a gun for personal ownership. Now I'm just surrounded by a bunch of libertarians in an office who think guns are empowering and that their house in a decent neighborhood will be broken into by a small army.

Oct 27, 2017
No, and I never will own one.

My sister had an ex-boyfriend who's family owned tons of them. Their whole house was decorated with guns. It was extremely unnerving. It's like it was their religion or something.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Live in Florida. Have a pistol with several locks. Also live by myself, with no roommates or children.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. But I worked with a guy who had so many that he had to keep a very detailed spreadsheet to track his collection. Surprised he didn't have an app... like Discogs, but for guns.

Worked with another guy who always bragged that he had '5 or 6' in his truck, and 'a few more at home' while we drove to/from lunch. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.