• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
138. Valve Artifact : 2,511 players an hour ago

Games near Valve Artifact's player count

• Total War Shogun 2
  • They are Billions
  • Hitman 2
  • Scum
  • Portal 2
  • No Man Sky

Jeez. Valve must be doing an internal makeover similiar to CSGO pre skins

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by trolling
Good, maybe they'll make actual games now.

Oct 25, 2017
I was sorta interested since I like hearthstone but i don't like that you have to buy cards in addition to buying the game itself. Also the games take way too long imo.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

This is all that comes to mind. Valve has made so many questionable decisions, when it comes to their own games.

Half Life 3? Nah. Portal 3? Nah. Left 4 Dead 3? Nah. A niche genre that's already well serviced? Sure!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's a very good game that I really enjoy playing, but the discussion around it is a real bummer. Everyone's so happy that the game is struggling.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I suppose we need to do the Lawbreakers dance for Artifact too, so we can get revenge on evil Valve, right?

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, all they need to do is keep providing support and updates and the game will get popular with the time. I'm enjoying my time with it tho I'm not very good with these games

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I was sure it was going to be a hit. Still surprised how the game failed to catch on.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they can always turn it around. It happened with CS:GO. It happened with R6S. Valve have the resources to do it. But it seems like some people on this forum want it to fail. Many people in other communities want it to be better and want it to succeed eventually, while acknowledging its current flaws. Weird attitude here.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Artifact going f2p announcement any time now.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very good game that I really enjoy playing, but the discussion around it is a real bummer. Everyone's so happy that the game is struggling.
Agreed. It's a ton of fun, and it's unfortunate that so many people seem to be cheering its demise.

But if Valve can turn CSGO around, I'm sure they can do it with Artifact too

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I loved it when I watched Day9 playing it. He suddenly stopped, though :(

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Wait, what's Artifact? Valve did make an actual game? I seriously didn't know. Strange it never poped up at my shop page. Either that, or I didn't care.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they can always turn it around. It happened with CS:GO. It happened with R6S. Valve have the resources to do it. But it seems like some people on this forum want it to fail. Many people in other communities want it to be better and want it to succeed eventually, while acknowledging its current flaws. Weird attitude here.

It happened drastically with CS:GO too. It went from 50k concurrent on launch to almost 20k the next month, and went back and forth not really gaining traction. Then a little over a year later 100k+ and grew consistently until now where it's like 600k+ concurrent. It's insane.

TF2 is another example of Valve turning a game around. They dropped to like 6k concurrent users at one point, and then made the changes necessary to boost it back up and it's been there for 7+ years now.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think the difference is that both of those had niches that they could fill. RS6 and CS:GO don't really have anything like them out there. There's other shooters, but both are very unique. Artifact has unique mechanics to it, but there has been a lot of CCG games lately and it's going up against games like Hearthstone, Magic the Gathering, even games like Gwent or Elder Scrolls Legends or Slay the Spire. Artifact feels more like a Heroes of the Storm situation where it's coming into a saturated market and failing to find its footing.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm not happy it's struggling. I love CCGs and I wanted this one to be a huge hit. I wanted it to prove all those "booooos" from the announcement wrong. But I just don't think it's a strong or compelling enough game to build a significant audience, even if it went F2P. I'm glad you like it, but I just think the game itself is not good enough to enough people to justify its existence in a crowded market.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Anyone watched the First Tournament live??
Yeah that thing was a disaster
like literally the first time they were showing the gameplay and they were explaining nothing
showing like "strategies" that nobody got
skipping the beginning of the games
jumping right into the middle of games confusing everyone
everyone was like "WTF is going on"
like absolutely the worst way to show off the game

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this game and the steammachines are some of the most baffling business decisions i've seen made in a long time and both come from valve, which are supposed to be good at business.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting Lawbreakers flashbacks from this. People really don't want it and they don't want others to have it either.

That's a really good comparison, honestly. LawBreakers was the best new MP shooter since the first Titanfall.

That said, and I really enjoy the game and want it to succeed, I think Artifact has much broader recognition than LawBreakers and while some people enjoy it failing, I also think it's a case of Valve making a game that nobody really wanted. Valve can appear obstinate in their refusal to communicate and cater to their fans, so hopefully Artifact and the Epic Games Store serve as a bit of a wake-up call for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what's Artifact? Valve did make an actual game? I seriously didn't know. Strange it never poped up at my shop page. Either that, or I didn't care.
It's a card game. You probably never heard of it cause not many people actually play it. It was popular on twitch for about a day when it released then everyone moved on it seems.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Valve has just utterly failed at getting people to care about this game, and that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how the game plays.

It feels like this is the first time Valve actually expected people to buy something just because it had their name on it. That's not to say Artifact is bad at all, since I've never actually played it; it's just that they didn't seem to do a good job at telling people why they should be excited for and buy it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Imagine FromSoftware start making card games, that's how people feel about Artifact.

I'm a well-adjusted adult who works for a living, so hearing that development teams are able to develop new ideas instead of churning out 1 style of product for their whole careers sounds rad.

Hell, an Armored Core drafting CG where you build a mech out of a deck of parts and duke it out sounds amazing.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
That's a really good comparison, honestly. LawBreakers was the best new MP shooter since the first Titanfall
Hell yeah it was, but similarly to Artifact there was relatively high skill floor.
Good, it's time to move on Valve, you have been idle far to long.

Imagine FromSoftware start making card games, that's how people feel about Artifact.
I wish, I might give their games a go then. They have beautiful art, those cards would be glorious.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cant say im surprised, the reception seemed less than stellar and the market already has established player bases like Hearthstone or MTG. This would have to work even harder to get everyones attention

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I'm a well-adjusted adult who works for a living, so hearing that development teams are able to develop new ideas instead of churning out 1 style of product for their whole careers sounds rad.

Hell, an Armored Core drafting CG where you build a mech out of a deck of parts and duke it out sounds amazing.

I wish, I might give their games a go then. They have beautiful art, those cards would be glorious.

I mean, I would totally play their Dark Souls card game, but at the same time I would still wish they make something else.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Good, it's time to move on Valve, you have been idle far to long.

220px-Lost_Kingdoms.jpg

Necrocorpse

Nov 17, 2018
London, UK
Maybe this will teach them. I'm sure there are lot of people who enjoy card games but I guess that market is already saturated. Otherwise it's hard to convince normal gamers to get into this thing. I played tons of Magic the Gathering back in the day and I'm still interested about it but card gaming on computer is just not my idea of fun.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was their attempt to cash in on the card-game-as-a-vehicle-for-microtransactions gravy train and they missed the boat by designing something that would appeal to a very narrow venn diagram - people who love DOTA and people who want to play a video game version of a card game, where you don't actually buy anything physical (like real trading card games). Hearthstone was able to do this by capitalizing on World of Warcraft's popularity and by making it a fairly casual game to pick up and play on mobile devices as well as PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.