• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
The iconic developer behind Ape Escape, Gravity Rush and Knack has seen the vast majority of its development staff let go, the sources said, after their annual contracts were not renewed ahead of the company's next business year, which begins April 1.

Localisation and business staff will remain in place and ASOBI Team – the group responsible for the Astro Bot games – will continue as a standalone studio within Sony Japan, it's claimed.

Some Japan Studio staff will join ASOBI, we were told, while others have followed Silent Hill and Gravity Rush director Keiichiro Toyama – who left Japan Studio last year – to his new studio Bokeh.

It's not entirely clear if the restructure has affected the studio's External Development Department, which collaborated on games such as last year's Demon's Souls, but one person VGC spoke to suggested it would continue.
www.videogameschronicle.com

Sources: PlayStation is winding down Sony Japan Studio | VGC

Majority of development staff have been let go, but ASOBI Team remains…

But Sony is not neglecting their Japanese playerbase! /s

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The iconic developer behind Ape Escape, Gravity Rush and Knack has seen the vast majority of its development staff let go, the sources said, after their annual contracts were not renewed ahead of the company's next business year, which begins April 1.

Localisation and business staff will remain in place and ASOBI Team – the group responsible for the Astro Bot games – will continue as a standalone studio within Sony Japan, it's claimed.

Some Japan Studio staff will join ASOBI, we were told, while others have followed Silent Hill and Gravity Rush director Keiichiro Toyama – who left Japan Studio last year – to his new studio Bokeh.

It's not entirely clear if the restructure has affected the studio's External Development Department, which collaborated on games such as last year's Demon's Souls, but one person VGC spoke to suggested it would continue.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Sources: PlayStation is winding down Sony Japan Studio | VGC

Majority of development staff have been let go, but ASOBI Team remains…

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
🤷Honestly what do you do in this situation?
People with knowledge of the matter told VGC that Sony Japan Studio simply hasn't been profitable enough in recent years; the developer wanted to create games that appealed to the Japanese market first with hopes of having global appeal, while PlayStation wants the kind of global hits that its other first-party studios produce

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Welp, my interest in this generations exclusives has died down a lot. This lines up with the prolific departures in the last few months.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
The Japan Studio JRPG dream is dead.

giphy.gif

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Not surprised after seeing high profile departures.

They are going to be a support studio and nothing else then, now I wonder if Silent Hill is indeed in development at Japan Studio.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We tried to tell y'all.

Sony doesn't care about Japan Stufio and this is the logical conclusion.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Wow saw on my twittter feed and went to ERA and lo and behold. Don't know if its good or terrible news for Sony

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised after all these departures.
And yes, this is all Sonys fault for basically abandoning the JP market

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Microsoft out here buying studios left and right while Sony is closing one of their most prolific ones.

Wonder how the end of this generation is going to look.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
People with knowledge of the matter told VGC that Sony Japan Studio simply hasn't been profitable enough in recent years; the developer wanted to create games that appealed to the Japanese market first with hopes of having global appeal, while PlayStation wants the kind of global hits that its other first-party studios produce
That's the problem with a lot of japanese games. No one outside ERA and Japan buys them

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Thank you Jim Ryan, another great step in killing the Playstation brand we always loved

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Not surprising but still disappointing. PlayStation's JP exclusives are the main reason I like the platform as I usually don't really care for their western AAA output. I know they're still getting some 3rd party exclusives but...meh. This shift in focus sucks.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
They will instead spend this money on securing timed exclusivity for all future Final Fantasy titles.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Does Sony realize it will need more exclusive content for its services going forward, not less? They have shut down so many studios that I don't think they do. Honestly reminds me of Microsoft before Phil Spencer.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Not really shocking when you look at their output and sales, but I will miss the weird stuff that they make.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's really sad. :(
At least it seems Asobi Team is still alive and maybe it'll become even more important for Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.