• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
From our friends at VGCultureHQ.

Some choice quotes:

The multiplayer has always been great, but, the campaign is what is going to make or break the game, and from all indications, Gears 5 will knock it out of the park. This is a fairly weak year as everyone is preparing for next-gen, and gives Gears 5 the perfect opportunity to step into the limelight

moreso than previous Gears games, this campaign seems to be highly personal. Kait is one of the best characters to ever grace the franchise and it appears her inner struggle against her "Locust" urges will be at the forefront. It's easy to talk about multiplayer and all the various improvements that are being made, but when it comes down to it Gears has some of the best campaigns video games have to offer

The Coalition has done Gears justice and one look at Gears 5 and it's obvious they're trying to keep the franchise fresh; they're not simply rehashing old ideas. They're using something familiar and something new, which is what every great developer does when crafting a game... It's adding a fresh new element to its campaign and... [if] it's as big and bombastic as Rod Ferguson claims it to be, this game will be one for the ages.

As one of the biggest Gears fans on Era I could not be more excited for this game. It's hard to believe it's so close, and even harder to believe most of us will be able to play on day one with just a single subscription, regardless of whether you like to play on console or PC. XGP really is the GOAT.

As for this game specifically, I've never been more intrigued by a Gears campaign since the series started if I'm being honest. For the first time I'm honest to god curious where this story takes us. The Coalition (and Microsoft) have a potential modern classic on their hands if this delivers on all the hype. Trust in Rod y'all

More at the link: http://vgculturehq.com/gears-5-will-be-game-of-the-year-2019/

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
It'll take something special to top RE2 for me but everything I've seen and played of Gears 5 is great, really looking forward to playing it.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will be nice to see it get a good reception among critics but GOTY? Good luck on that even though I honestly cannot think of anything this year so far that's been outstanding.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about all that. Still I'm intrigued at the rumored changes to the campaign's structure.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I hope so. As muchas I love Gears, I'm still tossing up between whether or not I prefer Devil May Cry 5 over RE2Make

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Man.

This, uh, "article" reads like a bad random post on Era.

It's adding a fresh new element to its campaign and will undoubtedly be the best narrative in the entire Gears franchise. Kait is an interesting character who will only grow as the game goes on. The more we see of the campaign, the more convinced I am that this will be the best AAA game (just ahead of Modern Warfare) to come out this year.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I think that will go to Devil May Cry 5 or Outer Wilds.

I do believe that Gears 5 will be amazing though. It will be in the conversation for sure.

Gears 5 has two main competitors for Game of the Year in 2019: Death Stranding and Modern Warfare. After yesterday's display, Death Stranding appears to be boring with excellent cutscenes in-between. Modern Warfareis Gears' biggest competitor, and the fact that it's bringing back a campaign mode makes it even more of an adversary.
Honestly, I didn't like that article at all.

Last edited:

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge Gears fan but this isn't happening. not with the skill barrier in Versus that alienates the new players going back to the first game

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
It's only weak if you ignore RE2 and Sekiro. But Gears certainly has a chance to make an impression. A robust multiplayer and a massive campaign could push it to the top.

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope the score is better than Gears of War 4, which was basically non-existent.
Changing from Steve Jablonsky to Ramin Djawadi was one of the biggest mistakes they made in my opinion.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Crossing my fingers. Really excited about this game and it all seems very promising. Gears 4 finetuned the already sublime Gears formula quite well, now this campaign should shake things up quite nicely.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
How about we just wait for the game to come out? You can't predict any GOTY based on small tidbits and trailers. And the devs don't have the pedigree to say it either.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
the single player best be way better and different than 4 then

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Actually having played the versus alpha and Horde at Gamescom, Gears 5 at the very least is shaping up to be the best Gears game yet.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
"will be game of the year because 2018 is a weak year" isn't a strong endorsement. I think these games would be on top so far:

- sekiro
- dmc5 (didnt play this one)
- remake2

Status
Not open for further replies.