• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this trending high on Reddit and wanted to share. Downtown Philly has always been bad-but this on person video shows just how depressing things have become. This could be any number of streets in some major cities in 2021.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I found this comment on the thread very informative:

For people who are actually interested in how this developed rather than flogging a particular political horse
Kensington is a neighborhood in North Philadelphia. It's located not too far from the major highway I-95, and is also well-served by public transit via the Market-Frankford Line (commonly called the El, the elevated train above this street)
It was originally a neighborhood inhabited by Eastern European immigrants, who worked in garment factories, making things like stockings and hats - the textile industry was a key part of Philadelphia's industrial economy
The textile industry was one of the earliest hit with deindustrialization - factories moved to the cheaper and non-unionized American South, and then overseas, and Kensington was hit very hard by this de-industrialization. White Flight wasn't asbad here as in many other cities - Port Richmond, a neighborhood right next to this, is still largely white working class - but much of the white population fled and were replaced by Black migrants from the Jim Crow south, as well as hispanic immigrants
By the 60s the area had a large number of abandoned buildings, and the drug problem began then. First heroin in the 60s, then meth in the 70s, then crack and cocaine in the 80s and 90s. The neighborhood became a bit of a drug "emporium" because of its location - it's right near major highways and train routes, so it was a common place for people from outside of Philadelphia itself to go buy drugs. And all of the abandoned buildings created ideal places for people to squat in and do drugs
But though the area was awash in drugs and drug addicts, the abandoned buildings paradoxically helped keep the problems less visible. Large drug/homeless camps were established in abandoned lots and other marginal space - drug addicts and the homeless congregated there
The current situation in Kensington is caused by two things - fentanyl and cleanup efforts
  1. I probably don't need to elaborate too much here, but the opioid epidemic and the influx of cheap fentanyl from China has turned the existing drug issue into an epidemic. Kensington is the place where you can get the purest heroin on the east coast, for the cheapest price. It's a place that draws in drug addicts, keeps them ensnared, and kills them via overdoses. And it's the most potent of its kind in the country
  2. Paradoxically, cleanup efforts pushed the problem from being somewhat invisible to being out in the open. In general, both the City of Philadelphia, and real estate money, have made an effort to buy up and restore/rebuild many buildings in the area. Kensington has excellent transit access to Center City, and is very close to the hottest real estate market in the city, the neighborhoods of Fishtown and Northern Liberties. Many of the buildings and abandoned lots that served as drug squats and homeless camps were bought up and torn down or restored, with the hopes that in a few years, Kensington will be the next hot real estate market in the city
  3. The proximate problem that led to the current crisis was the clearing of a number of homeless camps, particularly the biggest one in the city, El Campamento which was established in the CSX railroad cut to the West of Kensington. After mounting complaints from neighbors and community leaders, CSX and the city finally cleared out the homeless camp. They were able to get some people housed and/or in treatment, but many addicts refused treatment/housing, and the drug problem will always create more homeless addicts. But now these homeless addicts didn't have an established camp to go to, so instead they just started living close to the drugs - right under the El on Kensington Ave, which is what you're seeing in this video. Basically, cleanup efforts pushed the homeless addicts out of camps where they were mostly out of sight, and into streets where they were very visible
The problem is really bad, as you can see, but there's no obvious thing for the city to do. A charity tried to set up a safe injection site nearby, but both the Trump administration and locals blocked it from being established. The city's homeless infrastructure isn't really equipped to handle the numbers of people here - and even if it had the money, most of the homeless are addicts and will refuse to live in homeless housing that requires sobriety. Kensington is going to remain a convenient place to buy drugs no matter what thanks to its great transit links. And the opioid epidemic will continue to produce new addicts that will be ensnared by places like Kensington
Some articles:
https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/kensington-opioid-crisis-history-philly-heroin-20180123.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/magazine/kensington-heroin-opioid-philadelphia.html
https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/citizen-of-the-week-charito-morales/

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
This channel is called "HoodTime" with titles like EAST BALTIMORE MOST DANGEROUS AREAS and MARYLAND MS-13 HOOD.

A bit suspect.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Kensington has been pretty rough for a while, and the Pandemic hasn't helped. At least they set up supposedly "safe corridors" so neighborhood kids can walk to school more safely than on other streets.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've thought about doing this for downtown LA because it's significantly worse than it was before the pandemic, but I'm not going to engage in poverty exploitation. That said it's not just poverty, it's also illegal dumping. There's trash piled up everywhere.

Oct 28, 2017
It's really, really bad up there. My brother did a pop-up soup kitchen a few months back. I'll probably go back up there in a few weeks to do another pop-up with him. He went by himself and told nobody for like a month.

It's the worst I have ever seen in this city.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Heh I saw this video and it's sus as fuck.

There are real reasons for this, not just poor people be cray

Status
Not open for further replies.