• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Mod edit: We do not provide a platform for RobinGaming or their content here.

I was just watching this video on how Naughty Dog's level design has evolved since they started Uncharted 1 until Uncharted 4 and it's quite impressive.

It's basically on how their level design decides for us where we're going, even if we don't notice it at first, how much it evolved since Uncharted 1, how it differs on The Last of Us and why Uncharted 4 is a masterpiece in terms of level design, even on that last beach house level.

Putting all games together it's really impressive how far they've come. Only makes me more excited about The Last of Us Part 2!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Can easily see the difference from UC1 onwards. In the first game you can literally spot where enemies will come from as the areas are open with lots of walls to hide behind when the door/gate inevitably closes behind you.

Lihwem

Mar 17, 2020
sophiscated_cat.jpg

I should play Uncharted 4 at some point

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I was thinking about that too, but I was like I don't think we needed an Uncharted 4. Sort of how I feel about The Last of Us II, but I feel more strongly about that one.

While I do agree on both counts, if you have the chance to play UC4, do so. It's an incredibly well put together send off to the Uncharted series.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is much of a level design evolution, but a refinement of how to hold the hand of the player every step of the way.

I guess if Uncharted 1 was made today the rope in the tower would be fuchsia colored and it would have multiple light sources pointing at it.

sophiscated_cat.jpg

I should play Uncharted 4 at some point
It's a bore.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
don't think this is much of a level design evolution, but a refinement of how to hold the hand of the player every step of the way.
A core tenet of level design, indeed game design in general, is hiding the railroad. You must ALWAYS guide players, to some extent. How do you do this but simultaneously veil the path so the player feels like they have volition? Because in truth the player is never NOT on the path.

The video really clearly lays out how ND are masters at this. Other noteworthy titles for it are Breath of the Wild and Half-Life: Alyx.

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
I don't think this is much of a level design evolution, but a refinement of how to hold the hand of the player every step of the way.

I guess if Uncharted 1 was made today the rope in the tower would be fuchsia colored and it would have multiple light sources pointing at it.
Which is fine for game like Uncharted. The series doesn't want to be deep. It is an action-game in the spirit of a blockbuster movie. Pacing is more important for the developers, especially if the player is in an action-beat and they want him/her to move forward.
The problem for me with Uncharted 3 was, that it became very formulaic and you could feel the developers planing sections to force spefic beats. It became tiresome very fast especially the ship graveyard ...
I heard that Uncharted 4 wasn't better.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
people treat ND like they only do cinematics and things when in fact their gameplay is great and the level designs top notch.

Jan 21, 2019
To anyone who is unsure of playing U4. Do it. I absolutely cannot understand the hate boner for this game on era. It is an amazing ride and the character moments hit a trillion times harder than in any other uncharted game. There is a moment where Elena looks at the camera that gets me every time.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The level design is indeed incredible in UC4

That said this guy is a piece of shit

He is the one that made the video about ND following an agenda because Ellie is gay

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
The crate puzzles of UC4 were really something, huh

I kid, it's a good game but not great imo

OP
OP
Tiago Rodrigues

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
This is the same guy that made the naughty dog agenda video, RG's got terrible views on representation.
Didnt this guys videos banned for his "ND agenda" video
Right, wasn't that video all about Naughty Dog "forcing" Ellie being gay on people or something along those lines?
Lol, RG got banned here some time ago.

wtf? now i regret even posting this. i didn't know i couldn't post this, sorry.

Just liked this video and had never seen others from them.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand the hatred U4 gets. It's right up there with God of War and Bloodborne as the best PS exclusive of the gen for me.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I'll never understand the hatred U4 gets. It's right up there with God of War and Bloodborne as the best PS exclusive of the gen for me.
Mostly comes down to pacing. It's a really plodding game, and although it's technically a third-person shooter, most of your time will be spent walking, climbing, pushing crates, solving puzzles, listening to relationship drama etc...

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mostly comes down to pacing. It's a really plodding game, and although it's technically a third-person shooter, most of your time will be spent walking, climbing, pushing crates, solving puzzles, listening to relationship drama etc...

That's fair. I play ND games at this point for all of the above haha.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I was thinking about that too, but I was like I don't think we needed an Uncharted 4. Sort of how I feel about The Last of Us II, but I feel more strongly about that one.
The ending alone validate U4 existence, It's such a complete and satisfying finale to a series. Kinda feel like Toy Story 3. Sure there's Toy Story 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy, but while good, it just didn't feel as good as TS3 and U4

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah and it's absolutely what makes UC4 great imo :D The slower moments are interesting too thanks to the dialogues and environmental storytelling. The chapter in their house, around the beginning of the game, is incredible.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Yeah and it's absolutely what makes UC4 great imo :D The slower moments are interesting too thanks to the dialogues and environmental storytelling. The chapter in their house, around the beginning of the game, is incredible.

Yeah that's valid. I thought UC2 had the perfect balance of gameplay and the cinematic stuff and UC4 took it way too far in the cinematic direction.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently replaying UC4 and I'm blown away at how good it still looks. It's 4 years old but it would be in the race for best visuals if released this year.
Also, as a huge fan of the franchise, I believe the campaigns got better with each entry. I'm not a youtuber but sometimes I'm tempted to put together a video on that.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

That's why it's the best Uncharted game.

God of War is an action game but you do those things most of the time as well.

Yōkai_0h-No

Nov 20, 2018
I agree with this, some parts of the game where way to long and uninteresting, like climbing the clock tower and then doing the Pirate puzzle or exploring the smaller islands with Sam in the boat. I remember someone on this forum saying originally there was going to be a stamina metre for climbing but it got cut late into development, leaving long climbing sections that aren't really challenging. The shooting mechanics and action set piece's where amazing well done, but overall I preferred the Lost legacy as it had a tighter pace.

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
A core tenet of level design, indeed game design in general, is hiding the railroad. You must ALWAYS guide players, to some extent. How do you do this but simultaneously veil the path so the player feels like they have volition? Because in truth the player is never NOT on the path.

The video really clearly lays out how ND are masters at this. Other noteworthy titles for it are Breath of the Wild and Half-Life: Alyx.

Hm, as someone that's played all of NDs recent output I can't really say they're good at hiding the railroad. Fight enemies, press contextual button(s) seems like the bread and butter of their recipe

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Hm, as someone that's played all of NDs recent output I can't really say they're good at hiding the railroad. Fight enemies, press contextual button(s) seems like the bread and butter of their recipe
If you want example of bad level design that fail to guide the player where they supposed to go, play the first few level of Killzone Shadowfall. feels like developer's first try at somewhat open level design (which it kinda is, because previously the make very linear Killzone games)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
We do not provide a platform for RobinGaming or their content here.

Status
Not open for further replies.