• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Is it Gamefreak? Nintendo? The Pokemon Company?

This shit is confusing. For such a major IP I have no idea how it is managed.

Will Nintendo ever get to make a Pokemon game without Gamefreak? Does Nintendo own Gamefreak? Is Pokemon technically a 2nd party franchise to Nintendo?

Halp.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Lol.. no Nintendo don't own game freak. And no Nintendo can't make a Pokémon game without game freak.

Oct 25, 2017
The Pokemon Company owns Pokemon, and Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures Inc. each own about a third of The Pokemon Company.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Its not really that complicated.

Lol.. no Nintendo don't own game freak. And no Nintendo can't make a Pokémon game without game freak.
There have been plenty of Pokemon games without GF involvement.
Doubt they would be too interested in cockblocking Pokemon spin-offs that Nintendo wants to pursuit with other partys like Pokken.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures Inc. all own a portion of it, and they created The Pokemon Company to manage the brand.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
All 3 own a part of Pokemon. Think of Nintendo as the publisher of the games. They can't make a Pokemon game without GF.

Hightower

Aug 8, 2019
I've always thought The Pokemon Company owns the rights to Pokemon, but the reason it's generally been exclusive to Nintendo is that they own a big share of the Pokemon company. Like 40% or something.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
It's owned by The Pokemon Company, which itself is evenly owned by Game Freak, Creatures Inc, and Nintendo. But Nintendo also owns part of Creatures.

tl;dr its owned by all three companies but nothing happens unless they work together. Hence, The Pokemon Company.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
IIRC, Nintendo owns a part of Pokémon Company AND a company Nintendo owns owns another part, so it's kind of Nintendo's thing, but they're not the only stakeholder

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
The Pokemon company is the owner with 1/3 stakes by Nintendo, GameFreak and Creatures each. It was made this way because the IP became to big to handle without a dedicated company

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's one of those cases where something is pretty clear but people overcomplicate it for no reason. the relationship between nintendo/pokemon company/game freak isn't exactly rocket science.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
If you know there's been a lot of threads about this, you could have just searched for one of the other 399 threads about this. :P

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically split between Nintendo, Creatures Inc. and Game Freak. Game Freak is a third party, but I believe Nintendo also has partial ownership of Creatures.

Basically, nothing can be done with the brand that either Nintendo or Game Freak disapproves of, which would include taking the franchise out of Game Freak's hands.
Game Freak having a stake is so remain
Game Freak created the franchise from the ground up- there's no reason why they wouldn't have a stake.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow I completely forgot about Creatures, Inc. What's their role in all this other than owning part of TPC?

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that time Game Freak released a solid 2D platformer a couple of years ago with Sega that came out on everything but Nintendo's hardware?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's owned by The Pokemon Company, which itself is evenly owned by Game Freak, Creatures Inc, and Nintendo. But Nintendo also owns part of Creatures.

tl;dr its owned by all three companies but nothing happens unless they work together. Hence, The Pokemon Company.
I mean they can do whatever in JP, but outside of JP Nintendo owns all rights.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Its not really that complicated.

There have been plenty of Pokemon games without GF involvement.
Doubt they would be too interested in cockblocking Pokemon spin-offs that Nintendo wants to pursuit with other partys like Pokken.

You said it yourself plenty of spin offs, not going to happen with a mainline entry.

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Pokémon[a] (English: /ˈpoʊkɪˌmɒn, -ki-, -keɪ-/),[1][2][3] also known as Pocket Monstershttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon#cite_note-5 in Japan, is a media franchise managed by The Pokémon Company, a Japanese consortium between Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures.[4] The franchise copyright and Japanese trademark is shared by all three companies,[5] but Nintendo is the sole owner of the trademark in other countries.[6

con·sor·ti·um
/kənˈsôrdēəm,kənˈsôrSH(ē)əm/

noun

1. an association, typically of several business companies.

2. the right of association and companionship with one's husband or wife.
    "the amount awarded for loss of consortium must be included"

OP
OP
Spinluck

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ok so basically Nintendo is the big owner since themselves and the company Creatures Inc (which Nintendo owns largely too) are two thirds owners?

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
From what I understand my whole life, The Pokemon Company is 1/3 Gamefreak, 1/3 Creatures Inc and 1/3 Nintendo. Gamefreak developer, Creatures Inc the licensor and Nintendo the distribution.

Anyway, I heard that if Nintendo had a biggest part on this, probably they wouldn't release Sw/Sh on this state.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There are several other Pokemon threads at the moment and it looks like the question has been answered. This thread is closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.