• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
What? I don't get what you mean.

Did you mean why "aren't" they? The context in the op is like the opposite of the title.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Technically 4chan did not invent Qanon, it originated on 8chan. (To clarify: The phenomenon we now refer to as "Q" originated on 8chan; there were previous posts of the same style all across chan boards previously, likely fueled by the 8chan admin that would later re-host it on his own)

Here is a great podcast episode about it:

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It started on 4chan and then moved to 8chan.

gimletmedia.com

#166 Country of Liars | Reply All

This week, PJ looks into a theory circling the internet about who might be behind QAnon. The investigation takes him back to the beginning of the QAnon scam, and to the message board trolls who started it.
I linked the same podcast episode, lol. In it they directly posit that Paul Furber, admin of CBTS on 8chan was the first to pose as Q. So even though there were posts elsewhere and it spurred as a result of previous years of conspiracy bait on 4chan, the actual entity of "Q" proper lived and died on 8chan. Whoever "Q" or the Anon drops were before were likely just random users, whereas the phenomenon itself kicked off after it became "trusted" at 8chan.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Technically 4chan did not invent Qanon, it originated on 8chan.

Here is a great podcast episode about it:

This is a great primer on Q. If Q originated on 4chan, it was as a prank that went too far. Most likely Q is the new owners of 8chan and the current owners of 2chan who live in the Philippines.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I linked the same podcast episode, lol. In it they directly posit that Paul Furber, admin of CBTS on 8chan was the first to pose as Q. So even though there were posts elsewhere and it spurred as a result of previous years of conspiracy bait on 4chan, the actual entity of "Q" proper lived and died on 8chan. Whoever "Q" or the Anon drops were before were likely just random users, whereas the phenomenon itself kicked off after it became "trusted" at 8chan.
If we're talking where it was "invented" or "started" then that was 4chan but it got massive once it hit 8chan.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
If we're talking where it was "invented" or "started" then that was 4chan but it got massive once it hit 8chan.
It's still most likely that the original first Q was Paul Furber, as the idea grew out of his CBTS board and statements he had made prior, so I think it's fair game — the same conclusion made in the episode linked. Ultimately though, this is mincing two hate groups into distinct entities when they are largely the same, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.