• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,
I just wanted to make a thread about how in the past month I've gotten back into making videos. I love talking about entertainment news and reviewing the latest movies plus ranking movies. I don't expect it to blow up but just want some advice and guidance.
I use OBS with a Logitech 1080p camera and just bought a yeti mic yesterday (had a snowball) I don't really edit yet I have so far done one takes and been enjoying it. It's a work in progress, and help would be appreciated it!

I won't try and promote my videos but here's my channel and any criticism would be appreciated if anyone has a chance to look at any!

https://youtube.com/user/dcelw540

I had an echo in a few videos and that's why I decided to get a new mic.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
General advice

The walls surrounding you are almost as important as the microphone you use. If you can, padding up your walls with sound dampening foam is a huge plus. If that's not in the budget, fluffy blankets, foam in the corners will help you out a lot.

XLR microphones > USB mics almost 100% of the time. An AT2020 and a Scarlett Solo Interface are great starting points.

Webcams are fine, especially if you're just using it for the in the corner commentary style stuff like you're doing now. If you ever get into it though, eBay, an older Sony mirrorless camera and an Elgato Cam Link are going to be a killer improvement.

If you ever get into editing, keep an eye out on Humble. They'll do bundles that include Vegas for like $25, and that's perfect for editing without getting too fancy.

The biggest thing though is just being consistent. Sure, equipment matters to an extent, but ensuring you're always providing a flow of content to people is the biggest and best thing.

Also, putting The Lighthouse in A tier instead of S tier is an unforgivable sin.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
General advice

The walls surrounding you are almost as important as the microphone you use. If you can, padding up your walls with sound dampening foam is a huge plus. If that's not in the budget, fluffy blankets, foam in the corners will help you out a lot.

XLR microphones > USB mics almost 100% of the time. An AT2020 and a Scarlett Solo Interface are great starting points.

Webcams are fine, especially if you're just using it for the in the corner commentary style stuff like you're doing now. If you ever get into it though, eBay, an older Sony mirrorless camera and an Elgato Cam Link are going to be a killer improvement.

If you ever get into editing, keep an eye out on Humble. They'll do bundles that include Vegas for like $25, and that's perfect for editing without getting too fancy.

The biggest thing though is just being consistent. Sure, equipment matters to an extent, but ensuring you're always providing a flow of content to people is the biggest and best thing.

Also, putting The Lighthouse in A tier instead of S tier is an unforgivable sin.
lol thanks for the advice dude! I appreciate it!
And I did like it I think it being black and white is one the big reasons it ain't s tier lol

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Some advice:

1. Your thumbnails need to pop more. You're not gonna get traction if you're not trying to establish any sense of eye catching pictures that'll catch someone's eyes as they scroll on Youtube/look for videos. Make your own identity with thumbnails by looking at other creators that you want to be like or find yourself in some sense of alignment with and try to make something of your own.

2. Titles need to be far more attractive. Make your titles searchable question "Is Sony gonna show (X-GAME) at their NEXT STATE OF PLAY?" Things like that because people tend to search up questions more than actual "things" or "statements". Which also brings me to the tags on your videos! Make sure you do that to help your content reach people! Make them relatable to your video such as the State of Play one.

3. Take your content and reuse it smartly. You already edited a full video right? Why not cut it into a Instagram reel or Tiktok and put it on those platforms to spread your identity so you can actually get some other traction on other sites. There's no reason not to. You need to maximize all routes of exposure if you really plan to try and reach super high heights in the content creation space.

5. I hate giving this advice cause it is a hard truth but stick the one genre as you come up on Youtube. The algorithm is fucking hard to master and I know most people hate being forced to make content in favor of the algorithm, such as myself lol, but spreading yourself into multiple genres (like movies/video games) is gonna lead to a harder road for growth (if that's your attention). Most people stick to one thing for awhile and then begin to do other stuff and spread to other sort of genres in content creation. Again, that advice is only applicable really if you care about long-term growth. If you don't just have fun and make whatever the hell you want to make because at the end of the day, that'll make you happy which matters the most.

Regarding Equipment:

6. The best bang-for-your-buck microphone, which is the one I have currently have, is the Elgato Wave 3. It has far more functions than a simple Blue Yeti Microphone and you can do so much more with it thanks to VSTs which will make your audio sound ten times better.

7. Don't make the mistake of trying to buy various video editing programs like Adobe Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas early on. While those are perfectly fine option, as a creator you need to save money and invest smartly because you won't be making money for a VERY long time. (I've been doing for it 2 years now and I'm just on the cusp to reaching monetization on Youtube lol). The best free video editor is DaVinci Resolve. Yes, it's overwhelming at first but for the simple cuts you'll likely be doing as a commentary creator, it serves it's purpose and more. It has so many features even with the free version and if you like it enough long term, you can get the full edition on sale.

8. The Logitech camera is fine. Just like the Elgato Wave 3, a lot of lower end creators use the Elgato Facecam. It's a reasonably priced camera and it also has a lot of features (such as fixing lighting quality with it's application) to make the quality of your camera better. But again, I understand not necessarily needing it now and that's more of a bigger investment if you plan to be on camera often and stream often as well.

Side bar:
If you're looking into streaming and all of that, I can also answer those questions but just know I'm more in favor of streaming on Youtube than on Twitch but I can answer those questions here or in DMs. I'm more than down to give any advice if needed for that as well.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
General advice

This 100% Particularly on the audio. I will say one thing though; since soundproofing will take some work, and while everyone loves condenser mics because of the fidelity, I would also look into dynamic mics since they are more forgiving and most likely for what you're doing its good enough.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
You've already said your changing mics due to echo but you also have to account for the mixing. I watched the Andor react and you were also commenting during the trailer but it's very quiet in comparison to the trailer audio.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Might I suggest you check out this thread?
www.resetera.com

YouTube creators of ERA, list your channel here

So, I had the idea for a while of being able to share your own videos that you create on YouTube here on ERA. Before doing this, I contacted a mod and passed the idea on, and both mods and admins seem to be happy with us having said thread here. I was going to originally put this in the gaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.