• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"This project remakes the work of another development team," wrote Moore. "While we've made some changes, our core driving mantra has always been to preserve the spirit and intent of the original creators. While we considered and discussed an easy mode, we ultimately decided it wasn't our place — merely being custodians for this amazing game — to add something that would fundamentally alter its balance."

Reminder: Accessibility and difficulty aren't the same thing, and you can have a game's spirit of difficulty preserved while also including accessibility options.

www.gamesindustry.biz

"Accessibility" and "difficulty" aren't the same thing | Opinion

Watching the discussion about difficulty modes and accessibility in games unfold over the past couple of weeks, it has …

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I have to agree with this. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with a hypothetical easy mode for a From Souls game, but I really don't want some other developer doing it. It has to be done by From themselves, it's the same reason I have no interest in bluepoint making a new area for demon's souls, you'll just have a remade masterpiece with an awkward new area that won't play the same.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
What's interesting is that the original Demon's Souls could actually be considered easier than the remake since you can carry unlimited healing grass and thus can make as many mistakes as you want provided you can find a moment to heal.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, at least they considered an easy mode at one point at least, but I guess they wanted to stick to how it originally was which they felt it was the best for them.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never be able to understand how adding in easy mode hurts the "reputation" a game has.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
But then you completely reimagine the entire look, tone, and feel of the original artistic vision? That's a fair amount of editorialization for custodial work. I guess this sounded good in his head - I'd rather they just keep it a rack and say "we didn't want to."

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Yeah, it needs to be From making large decisions that change the definition of their games that much, or at least done with their permission.
I'll never be able to understand how adding in easy mode hurts the "reputation" a game has.
The in-your-face difficulty of the entire series has always been a defining trait. It just is what it is.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
What's interesting is that the original Demon's Souls could actually be considered easier than the remake since you can carry unlimited healing grass and thus can make as many mistakes as you want provided you can find a moment to heal.

The remake (and the original) allows you to regenerate mana endlessly via rings and weapons and heal via spells, it's not significantly different.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I've always felt that Bluepoint approach to remaking games suffers from being too faithful to the original source material. Demon's Souls would have benefited from an easy mode, and I can't believe we never got any of the originally cut colossi in the Shadow of the Colossus remake. It was such a gorgeous remake too and I wish they tried more with it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it needs to be From making large decisions that change the definition of their games that much, or at least done with their permission.

The in-your-face difficulty of the entire series has always been a defining trait. It just is what it is.
Okay? Then everyone can just play on the hardest mode. Am I missing something?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are we calling this game a remake? It's a remaster. A very complete one, but it's a remaster.
It's a remake.

A remaster is a retouched port that is upgraded graphically.

This game meanwhile is built from grounds up. It has plenty of new additions and almost everything is brand new.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Glad they decided against it. Leave it to the OGs to make that decision. If they had blessing from FS to do it then I'd be ok with it though.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Holy shit is that Gameindustry.biz article awful. And arguments against an Easy mode continue to be so weak.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it's not their place to add one, but I think it would be fine to add one.

Oct 25, 2017
I am a big fan of the original version, including the difficulty, and I don't think an optional easy difficulty would take anything away from the game. Honestly, an easy mode would have been preferable to whatever the hell Bluepoint was thinking with some of these updated character and enemy designs. Now that's something that hurts From's vision.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I think it's a huge miss, especially for a launch game. You're going to have a ton of people checking this out who have never even heard of Souls or From Software and being immediately turned off. Sony could've turned this into a pillar series for them if they made it more accessible, now it will remain a game for hardcore only.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think the main issue with this debate is that people don't really agree on a definition of accessibility. if you don't think an easy mode is part of accessibility then there won't be any sort of agreement.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
A remaster would be RPCS? emulator running this game at higher res on PS5 and nothing more. Remakes involve the devs to insert new textures and models.

Yup. clearly not a remaster. Bluepoint rebuilt everything from the ground up, keeping only the enemy AI in place for consistency purposes.

I think it's a huge miss, especially for a launch game. You're going to have a ton of people checking this out who have never even heard of Souls or From Software and being immediately turned off. Sony could've turned this into a pillar series for them if they made it more accessible, now it will remain a game for hardcore only.

Didn't DS3 sell somewhere around 10 million copies?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Just add an easy mode. If games like Ninja Gaiden can have easy modes, I'm pretty sure Souls, which is monumentally easier, will be alright.

Why are we calling this game a remake? It's a remaster. A very complete one, but it's a remaster.

They completely changed the models, every environment seems to be different from what I've seen in terms of assets.

A remaster needs to at least be based on the same assets but this completely changed them all. It's like how the Psycho remake isn't a remaster but a remake, even though it's the same scene for scene.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
All you have to do is look up Hidetaka Miyazakis design philosophy to understand why his games don't have easy modes. Obviously you're free to disagree with his philosophy for designing games but it's the reason these games have the rep they do. I'm glad Bluepoint didn't go against that.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
why cant games like this exist without people making a big deal

some people love a challenge and like the fact that the other participants in the game do too

games that don't have an easy mode are extremely outnumbered by games that do

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
We did this thread when the lead guy from Sony said the very same thing a couple weeks ago. Their goal was to remaster it, not reinvent it. They succeeded too. The game also feels so much easier than the other Souls games, so if you're scared of the difficulty, don't be. It's never been about being a hard game, it's always been about patience, and if you're asking them to make a game that removes its core tenet of being patient, you're being unreasonable. Props to them for adding more accessibility options though. That's a good change.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My opinion on this isn't about "reputation". I simply dont believe that every game needs to target every audience. It's okay that there are things out there that just aren't for me. The discussion gets muddy when trying to account for people with disabilities and I don't think there's currently a great solution for that, but it can't be "just make the game easier". That feels a little too reductionist/like a quick band-aid fix.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion on this isn't about "reputation". I simply dont believe that every game needs to target every audience. It's okay that there are things out there that just aren't for me. The discussion gets muddy when trying to account for people with disabilities and I don't think there's currently a great solution for that, but it can't be "just make the game easier". That feels a little too reductionist/like a quick band-aid fix.
I mean the thing is that it can be both. TLOU part 2 has a million different combination of ways to play, to the extent that they basically made a whole category at the game awards because of that. Playing with the hardest modes and everything on makes the game arguably as hard some souls games. It doesn't take away that there is a huge range.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Here's easy mode. This is as easy the game can get without literally holding your hand. People have to understand is difficulty comes down how you play and not some BS way developers can think of limiting you
oaARKfym6LRCuqWXoHrzWd.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In before 100 pages of people going back and forth on this.

Let me again say that I modded my original copy of Demon's Souls to be easier and more accessible for myself and a friend.

It did not ruin the experience and allowed us to enjoy the game on a level other people would consider "normally" challenging.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's lame, I have friends who just aren't good at games and/or have disabilities and couldn't possibly make progress in any of the Souls game. The normal mode is there for you, they have zero intent in removing that, your game will not change, at all, so adding an easy mode for people that would like it has zero effect on you other than some made up "gamer cred" bullshit like anyone actually cares if you can finish a Souls game. How anyone can possibly defend not having an easy mode is crazy to me, like how can you trust another studio to remaster the entire game yet don't trust them to make an easy mode? What harm will an easy mode have on your experience if you never intent to use it?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This simply isn't true. They have admitted in every interview they've done this started with the PS3 codebase.

nope.

"Our approach to this is we try and keep the core of the game untouched. With Demon's Souls, that's the gameplay, the logic, and the AI, and then everything else is stripped away. And then utilizing the incredible power of the PlayStation 5 and how much we could really go wild on this title, we started to build everything back."

www.polygon.com

Demon’s Souls on PS5: Here’s what’s changing

New details on photo mode, multiplayer, World Tendency, and more

They kept the enemy AI and logic and rebuilt everything else. It's not a remaster.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A remaster would be RPCS? emulator running this game at higher res on PS5 and nothing more.
Nah far as I'm concerned that's a port

Kinda like how Dishonored Remastered is actually just a port because it's literally just the PC version running at 1080p medium/high settings slapped onto PS4 and Xbox

They called it a remaster for marketing purposes, but like many other last gen 'remasters', it's a port

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I would imagine a souls game with an easy mode would end up being plain boring. I would still love to see accessibility options for disabled people.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The question I keep coming back to is, how would they square a different difficulty mode with it being an online game?

Have other online RPGs had different difficulty modes?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, and moreover, if From themselves continues to feel that the best way to design their games is without a specifically dedicated easy mode, that's fine too.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This simply isn't true. They have admitted in every interview they've done this started with the PS3 codebase.
Nope. They "remade" everything but the technical code. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 is a remake, but they also built it on top of the original code. Remaster is an upgrade of the already existing game. So it's a remake and not a remaster. FFVII is an extreme type of remake where folks would say it's actually a reimagining. If this Demon's Souls had a different style of combat I would still consider it a remake, but underneath I would say it's a reimagining. But for now it's a remake.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Here's easy mode. This is as easy the game can get without literally holding your hand. People have to understand is difficulty comes down how you play and not some BS way developers can think of limiting you
oaARKfym6LRCuqWXoHrzWd.jpg
Yup this. If you want an easy mode the game allows to give it to you. Just cause the labels aren't there doesn't mean it isn't there. Many people are just too lazy to search it up or want everything catered to them

Status
Not open for further replies.