• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Now I'm no expert in video game marketing strategy's or advertising a game, but I'm fairly certain that WB's way of marketing a game, is not how you should do it.

If you didn't somehow know, a new Batman Arkham game is coming. Batman: Arkham Legacy in fact. There's an issue here though. WB is not marketing this game correctly. Their marketing strategy is outdated. The marketing campaign for Mortal Kombat 11 was done well so why can't Arkham's?

WB, you do not tease a game, release the official tagline for said game, tell your consumers/fanbase that they'll hear from you soon twice and then wait an entire year to reveal said game. That's not how you build hype. That only builds high expectations that can't be meant and anger from the fanbase.

WB what you should've done is release said teasers, then go silent for maybe 2-3 weeks and then drop a big reveal for the game or maybe even save it for a big gaming event.

WB's marketing strategy for this game is gonna literally turn people crazy. The Arkham community is already going insane and when this game doesn't appear(apparently) at the Game Awards, I feel like there's gonna be very vocal rage cry out from it.

Warner Bros, this old marketing strategy you're pulling here isn't creating hype. It's creating anticipation but it's also creating huge expectations that can't be met. This is not something I want to see happen with this game.

If you were WB, how would you have marketed this game?

Edit: There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I'm not talking about the main marketing campaign. I'm talking about the reveal marketing strategy.

Last edited:

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
WB's marketing strategy for this game is gonna turn people into The Joker. The Arkham community is already going insane and when this game doesn't appear(apparently) at the Game Awards, I feel like there's gonna be very vocal rage cry out from it.
Is this a serious statement?

What's going to happen, y'all aren't going to buy it when it comes out because you're not happy with how they've revealed it?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Bro, the game technically doesnt exist, wait until they actually announce it

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What are you going on about? They haven't even announced a new Batman game yet, so how the hell would they be able to advertise it?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What there doing is fine. The <1% the pays attention to this part of a game's development does not matter in the grand scheme of things

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
If the gaming community or Arkham fans are this entitled and impatient, then maybe they need to go back and re-assess if gaming is a healthy hobby. I don't understand where this culture of spoonfeeding gamers came from. They owe us nothing until the game is complete.

P.S. I understand how Marketing works, but OP's post just seemed like extreme whining. You wanna see something broken and in a pre-Alpha state? Be my guest.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If the gaming community or Arkham fans are this entitled and impatient, then maybe they need to go back and re-assess if gaming is a healthy hobby. I don't understand where this culture of spoonfeeding gamers came from. They owe us nothing until the game is complete.
Basically. The name of the game was possibly leaked, which OP is not considering in this whole evaluation. For the people who don't read this forum and have never heard the term Arkham Legacy, all of this is moot. But OP is essentially saying that because we know the destination, the journey is taking too long, which is a very skewed perspective.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect they may have signed a deal to debut at The Game Awards, but the developer and/or marketing team is just really anxious and wants to let the cat out of the bag.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's getting people to talk about their game even before it's official reveal so it's working in some manner. WB doesn't care all that much if people inflate their expectations and those aren't met. Once they have your money, they have achieved their primary goal.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Basically. The name of the game was possibly leaked, which OP is not considering in this whole evaluation. For the people who don't read this forum and have never heard the term Arkham Legacy, all of this is moot. But OP is essentially saying that because we know the destination, the journey is taking too long, which is a very skewed perspective.

I guess it taking too long is kinda apart of it, but my main point is that this marketing strategy is going to make high expectations that can't be met which will equal disappointment which is why this marketing strategy doesn't work.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I don't get this at all. Are you mad they haven't revealed the game yet? Wtf do you think they're doing atm? Just sitting on their thumbs? They're making a game, making games is hard, they'll reveal it when they're ready to.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018

It would have made sense if he took a small pool of people as the target audience, who care this much indicating just himself perhaps. I am a huge Arkham fan myself but no way do I agree with the OP about going batshit insane. The game isn't even confirmed yet.

Oct 28, 2017
The only people that are jonsing for follow up details from those tweets are people that frequent sites like this.

99.9999999999999% of people out there either don't know, or heard "they're making a new Batman game" and don't mind/care about the wait.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Lol I don't get this at all. Are you mad they haven't revealed the game yet? Wtf do you think they're doing atm? Just sitting on their thumbs? They're making a game, making games is hard, they'll reveal it when they're ready to.

No I'm not mad about that. What I'm a little upset about, is WB creating unrealistic expectations with this reveal strategy. This way of teasing it twice only for an entire year of silence, will end up creating disappointed hopes and dreams. Which in the end, will affect the game itself.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
"yo bro you check out the new batman game?"

"hell nah you see how that shit was marketed over 18 months ago???"

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I'm not mad about that. What I'm a little upset about, is WB creating unrealistic expectations with this reveal strategy. This way of teasing it twice only for an entire year of silence, will end up creating disappointed hopes and dreams. Which in the end, will affect the game itself.
I still don't know what you're on about. Where are the unrealistic expectations coming from? Why are people expecting things from a game that we only know the name of? And why does fan reaction to a tease matter to the end product?

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
It's taking too long for Half-Life 3, MGS6, Prince of Persia 2008 sequel to come out as well in that case OP bro.

*Fuck, now I'm sad that some of my favorite franchises are dormant or dead.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it taking too long is kinda apart of it, but my main point is that this marketing strategy is going to make high expectations that can't be met which will equal disappointment which is why this marketing strategy doesn't work.
You're underestimating how fickle the gaming audience is. The game will be revealed, people will be excited. Then an early screenshot will leak with alpha visuals, the community will dogpile. Then an official trailer will release, the community will be excited again. Season pass will be announced, everyone will hate it. Then the game will come out, it will probably be fine, and none of the 9 months that preceded it won't have mattered at all.

Oct 28, 2017
No I'm not mad about that. What I'm a little upset about, is WB creating unrealistic expectations
with this reveal strategy. This way of teasing it twice only for an entire year of silence, will end up creating disappointed hopes and dreams. Which in the end, will affect the game itself.

Not sure what you mean by "unrealistic expectations".

Realistic expectation based on WB lightly teasing a new Batman game: it will be a Batman game unveiled with a teaser trailer at TGA, and launch late next year. It's not rocket surgery.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Not sure what you mean by "unrealistic expectations".

Realistic expectation based on WB lightly teasing a new Batman game: it will be a Batman game unveiled with a teaser trailer at TGA, and launch late next year. It's not rocket surgery.

Except it won't be unveiled at TGA. According to insiders, it won't be revealed until next year.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
"yo bro you check out the new batman game?"

"hell nah you see how that shit was marketed over 18 months ago???"
They didnt immediately upload the alpha version to steam for free to let me play it the second the name got leaked, games trash. Boycotting until they change this ridiculous marketing strategy

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They'll release a trailer and no one will remember being mildly frustrated that they didn't show it a few months earlier, yourself included

Not sure which threads are worse right now, Batman or Pokemon ones

Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm no expert in video game marketing strategy's or advertising a game
And that is precisely the moment where you should have decided that making this thread was a bad idea. Honestly op, I don't really follow you but every time I see an arkham thread pop up on here or necro bumped, it's usually you doing it. Give it a rest and wait for the marketing to start first before telling us the marketing is bad. I'm excited for a new game too but you are out of control. Quit chasing rumors and trying to stir up shit.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
WB's marketing strategy for this game is gonna literally turn people into The Joker. The Arkham community is already going insane and when this game doesn't appear(apparently) at the Game Awards, I feel like there's gonna be very vocal rage cry out from it.

Yes, I can absolutely see people becoming violent murderers because Warner Bros. did not announce a game it hinted was in development. There's an absolute threat of that happening.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A marketing campaign usually doesn't begin until the game is like, you know, announced.

Pretty ridiculous thread.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I know you're excited and really want to talk about the new game, but y'all really need to settle down until there's actually something to talk about.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.