• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ESPECIALLY considering no E3 this year.

Dont get me wrong, I quite liked State of Play. The format was great, I loved how concise and to the point it was. But I had my expectations tempered in regards to content.

I bet for most people it was an underwhelming thing tho, especially since it was so focused on VR.

The situation is especially bad considering people have been starving for more Sony news since last E3.

In the other hand it is great to see they are actively looking at promoting new communication methods, and of course, this is just the beginning. But the point is: was it really a good idea to present such a barebones show like this after so much news starving from fans?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They should've pushed it a month. Have some more substantial info on MK and DS, put all of the VR stuff into their own 5 minutes, give a date for Dreams and a new trailer for Medievil, idk anything but 15 minutes of boring VR stuff that like 10 people care about.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was a poor decision to do it the way they did. I honestly think they may have been intentionally keeping the info on what would be shown because they wanted more people to watch and realized if they were more honest about what to expect a huge chunk of the audience wouldn't bother tuning in

Oct 25, 2017
The presentation itself was fine. And if the next one shows up in 2-3 months, then it's totally fine. They gotta start somewhere. They already said they skipped PSX and E3 because they didn't have a lot to show, what did people expect, an E3 level Nintendo Direct?

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say so. They had a lot in the pipeline in need of updates and it was a nice proof of concept for the format. If shows like this become a regular thing focusing mainly on the next 2-3ish months, I'll be quite happy. (I don't even have a PSVR).

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: Sony spending a lot of time being generally quiet isn't too concerning to me. Their dev teams are deep in development on big games, and they know they don't need to be pushing stuff in front of our eyes just to remind us they exist (*cough cough* Inside Xbox). PSVR is Sony, so of course they're gonna show it off. Some of that stuff is pretty huge, considering how big Marvel is right now and the major improvements No Man's Sky has seen since launch.
The MK11 trailer was also superb, and the whole thing was short enough that it didn't feel like it was wasting my time whatsoever.
Days Gone, while I don't particularly have an interest in it, presented well enough and helped cement this is not just "PS VR games"
I was hoping to see maybe an update on MediEvil PS4, but overall it felt like it did what it had to and didn't waste time. We'll probably see another in May with some big stuff after MK11 and Days Gone have been out for a while and Sony can shift focus to TLoU2 and Tsushima probably. There was more news in this State of Play than the last Inside Xbox show, except they just weren't Halo on PC big

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These threads are getting tired. If you don't like their communication tweet at them or something. We don't need a million Era threads.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
What's the point in trying to drum up hype so late in a consoles life cycle. They will coast until its time to push the PS5.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It's fine if we're expecting to see it once a month or so which I presume we are.

If we don't see another one til e3ish time that would be a fuck up

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it.

It gives the VR titles a spotlight which they might never have gotten if it was filled the heavy hitters.

Most of the stuff shown will be out by the end of May. We will probably have another show before E3.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
This showcase seemed like a pilot for their direct, Id think this is to prep for next gen and make it a regular thing like Nintendo does.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Start small and build it over time. No hype, just solid. Leave some capacity for surprise, without it being the expectation.

I've been wanting Sony to do these style of videos for a long time now, so I'm delighted they finally did it.

It would be great though if they integrated it more tightly with the PlayStation itself. Let us try brief demos of the game through PS Now, notifications while playing games that the show is going live, more Indies in the spotlights. Its a good start.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I thought it was good, personally. I'm shocked by the overwhelming negativity -- it seems absurd.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Light on content? Considering how it was only 20 minutes, I'd say they had a good amount of content.

Status
Not open for further replies.