• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was this a marketing blunder?

• It was

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • No, it wasn't

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Microsoft has been handling the messaging behind the Series X in a completely different way than Sony. Showing the console and Controller first, giving YouTubers hands-on impressions, and in general being very open about what the next generation entails for Xbox. All their reveals have been well received so far, as they were quick and to the point, or just complete surprises, so it was kinda weird to see what MS put up for show today.

Now, let me be clear - I liked today's event. Dirt 5 looks awesome, Yakuza 7 being multiplatform on day 1 is fantastic news for the series, and a lot of interesting smaller games were shown today. However, looking at the reception the show has been getting everywhere (mass dislikes, thousands of complaints on Twitter, etc.), I think it's very likely that Microsoft missed the mark on this one.

In my opinion, their biggest flaw was revealing this a week early and not lowering expectations till a day before. You had people thinking even stuff like GTA6 would be shown here, which was obviously never going to happen. Labeling it as a gameplay reveal when most games didn't have gameplay demos was also a bad idea, Assasin's Creed Showcase was pathetic. It's probably the first time on the Series X's news rollout where I'd say Microsoft failed to read the room.

Do you think this was a marketing blunder?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nah it wasn't that bad. Just a rather underwhelming showing overall.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a flawed event, but it wasn't a blunder. This isn't going to be some huge pitfall that's talked about 5 years from now. It was just kind of "fine".

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This can be discussed in this thread:

www.resetera.com

This next gen PR cycle has been weak and bad

I've been thinking this for a while and the recent showing of next gen gameplay for the first time has cemented my opinion that next generation has had a terrible marketing rollout. I'm not talking just Xbox either, both PS4 and Xbox have had terrible marketing rollout's. The only thing a...

Status
Not open for further replies.