• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whether you are religious or not I would assume most people can understand that a religion can be important/sacred to someone else. Something they identify themselves by.

So why here in this board that preaches inclusivity find it so okay to not only trash but outright attack something as personal as someone's religion?

Does insulting someone's personal religion somehow make you better than them?
I'm sure I will get attacked and ridiculed (this is the internet after all) here but I'm really curious about the double standard we show such things as race and sexual preference and even self identity vs someone's faith.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't choose your race or your sexuality but you can definitely choose your religion which probably denigrates and steps on those who suffer by it's beliefs.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Your mistake is equating something you choose (religion) with something you don't (race and sexual orientation - it isn't a "preference," which implies choice).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of modern religions are actively involved in the promotion of racism, homophobia, transphobia and institutionalized misogyny.

You can't choose your race or your sexuality but you can definitely choose your religion which probably denigrates and steps on those who suffer by it's beliefs.

Also this.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
If my religion states or doesn't believe that God exists, who's religion do we say is right? The popular one?

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
religion is a choice.
people often come here saying they are the true christians that are all love and peace, but that does mean shit when the actual churches use their power to spread hate and influence law.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
one chooses a religion. one doesn't chooses their skin color, orientation, etc.
also, as others have put it, religion is responsible for a lot of bad stuff, so....

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
You should probably add some context to this thread. You were surprised that a mostly irreligious or atheist group of people were not bothered by people "desecrating an altar" that hold no significance for them, yet they are bothered by hateful graffiti.

I guess I could ask you the inverse. Why do actions with observable, real-life consequences such as hate speech bother you less than the non-religious not showing the same reverence to a place of worship?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Pretty sure people here don't attack anyones personal believes but instead attack organized religion and their actual organizations which have been terrible throughout human history in many many ways and basically turn our entire species into even more of an "us vs them"

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I am religious (roman catholic) but faith is a personal decision, not one person's nature. It's ok to make fun of religion, especially organized religion,

jml

Mar 9, 2018
It depends on what you mean here. If people are attacking other people simply for being Muslim/Christian/whatever then yeah I think that's wrong. Organized religion deserves to get a lot of shit though.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
When most religions preach exclusivity, don't be surprised when they're faced with hostility.

For what it's worth, I've never really seen any hostility towards Buddhism. I also don't think that they have passages saying to burn gays, so I dunno.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Because it is often responsible for causing the other things you mentioned.
A lot of modern religions are actively involved in the promotion of racism, homophobia and institutionalized misogyny.
/thread

Pilgrimzero You should note that none of these very true facts are personal insults toward you. Criticism or in a lot of cases not following religion=/=personal attack.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
While on some level, you aren't wrong, the reality is that religion has been, and still very much is, used as a tool of oppression. You can have your own more tolerate view of the religious texts and all, but by and large, those texts are considered to be mostly used as oppressive and divisive tools.

It's kind of like the 'well, not all cops are bad' thing when someone says ACAB. It's not so much about literally every single cop and their moral fiber, it's about the system as a whole being designed to produce, protect and glorify bad cops, so it doesn't really matter if Officer Joe Wily-Bily buys ice cream for a black kid in a FB video, the system is still there and functioning as a tool of oppression and white supremacy.

Religion is largely the same concept. I mean, yeah, there are good religious people and there's plenty of churches and religious organizations that do good, but it's still a system often used by the powerful for oppression.

Oct 25, 2017
let us not equate religion to things like sex, gender, race, orientation, etc - okay? thanks

People don't choose what they're born as. People choose whether to believe in shit.

Oct 28, 2017
Religion is a choice. Being gay or black or Asian is not.

Also, Evangelicals overwhelmingly voted for an amoral criminal grifter to get what they wanted. Their piety is a joke.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Also, besides what everyone said, insulting other religions is baked into some religions, with heresy and other similar stuff. Catholics for example think Wiccan religions as basically things from hell

So... Insulting other religions kinda become.... Respecting the religion?

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot stop being gay, I can however pick and choose what my faith means to me and how I behave and express that to the world. That's the difference. One is an immovable social fact, the other isn't as much depending on the religion.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
What people believe is not my business; they are free to worship god, satan or whatever they want. The issue is these religious organizations love trying to harm minorities and people for what they are.

You know OP, it is funny you mention this now. This past week in Panama the Christians took the streets to force our Supreme Court to not recognize same-sex marriage. Meanwhile the country is being run by one of the most corrupt Government in our entire history. Do you think they protest because of that? No, they protest because they don't want same-sex marriage be legal in our country. Fuck them. Fucking homophobic clowns. They even use kids in videos to send through social networks that same-sex marriage is bad and that there are only two 'sex': man and woman. I can't tolerate people like that.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would never use religion as a form of attack on someone but I do think EVERY religion has promoted/had horrific things done in its name at the very least, and a lot of people are wilfully ignorant to this. At the end of the day though it's a choice whereas the other things you mentioned are just part of a person. It's very different.

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of, almost all people are born and indoctrinated into their religion. Depending on your environment growing up, I don't think a lot of people are mentally capable of rejecting it.
Same could be said of bigoted beliefs, depending on the environment, but that doesn't make use anymore tolerant of them just because they're difficult to reject for those people

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Cause fuck religion? We don't tolerate attacking those that practice religion though. But the religion and its views are fair game and that for good reason.

Mr Coopz

Jul 21, 2019
Partly true but most people who grow up in a family that is religious tend to favour their way to be religious and that particular religion as well. If your family is in the heart of southern America and your parents are Christians, your not gonna have much choice but be brought as a Christian as those values are what those parents will teach. It's not easy to get people out of that believe system when they have being taught their whole lives that their religious practices are the correct and only "true way". I think that applies to all religions and people who grew up with a religious family. Not to step away from the troubles and pain religion causes a lot of people, but from my opinion most people who become religious didn't have much choice growing up. Again I don't support religion and wish it continues to have its grab hold of people diminish.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is basically the Blue Lives Matter argument. You can choose your religion/career. Not your race or sexual preference.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Religions are based on dogmas, not free thinking. So who follows them thinks anyone thinking different are wrong and thus leading to discrimination. Religions usually don't teach acceptance.

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven
I will argue that being religious is not necessarily a choice if you are born and raised in it and never given the opportunity to actually join as an adult. You are indoctrinated from a young age to believe whatever religion it is.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
This place only attacks Christianity. You wont see it attacking other religions. I find Christian beliefs to be very irrational but I don't think the way to deal with them is mockery. You have every right to do it, but it's not helpful. Find out what their reasons for believing are and tackle that.

I think religious people and non-religious are just as close minded as each other.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This question is the same type of thinking that allows the Republicans to claim that American Christians are the most persecuted people in our country.

Status
Not open for further replies.