• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's too familiar. Damn near ritualistic. The closer we get to E3 the more these false narratives, "insider info," and "leaks from my trusted source." end up on Era. We watch as the false info morphs from a litany to a torrent of completely baseless and refutable info. Often the people behind it are only concerned with building their social media presence or increasing their youtube views based entirely off said false info. This year was particularly bad particularly about XBOX's conference from specs of their next generation console to their E3 lineup.

And despite seeing for ourselves that all of their info is completely false, post E3, we seem to let them slide. Despite knowing that they'll rinse and repeat the process next E3. Era bans certain publications who have a history of posting false info. Shouldn't we do the same with users who are flagrant in promoting false info for their own self interests? Wouldn't our discourse be elevated by only referring to, or posting info from sources with reliable track records or verified by our mods?

Just my thoughts...

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
If people ignored all the shite, it wouldn't be an issue for anyone.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
People make shit up all the time, everywhere. If you are after reliable leaks, seek out those with a solid track record. Filter everything else out as noise. Otherwise, be aware of the serious risk that you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. You can't really moderate the whole of the internet.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really care if they try "boosting their following" because the reckoning always comes, things get verified, and then we can all permanently dismiss them forever.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the old site have rules where people who were wrong about leaks were banned? I'm fairly certain that was a thing and I'm surprised Era has not followed that motion as well.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The actual conversation Era needs to have is

1) An introspective look at how a community behaves around a corporate marketing event, just how much identity is tied in to the event, and ultimately just how much anticipation and hype is directed at it that nothing could ever compare to the reality. If you got gassed by the idea of Miyamoto coming out on Microsoft's stage that's on you.

2) The realisation that while surprises are generally quite nice, leaks are not as damaging as suggested as accurate leaks are just information. The damage it potentially does not might lie at the feet of leakers, but may lie at the feet of the structure of the industry itself and why so much corporate secrecy is needed.

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Why do they all have anime avatars?
image0.jpg

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
What gets me is that these leakers are at least old enough to have some sort of job in the industry ,but are immature enough to believe they are some form of Robin Hood .. doing great things for the many.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Blame the dumb forum "hype train" culture. Anyone can post anything and people will feign excitement as an excuse to post 60 all caps post in 10 minutes.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
People make shit up all the time, everywhere. If you are after reliable leaks, seek out those with a solid track record. Filter everything else out as noise. Otherwise, be aware of the serious risk that you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. You can't really moderate the whole of the internet.
This

Also what was you issue with next gen spec leaks?
I only know bdsams said anaconda is should be 4x more powerful than Xbox one x and Microsoft used that exact phrase in the reveal trailer.

Or did you really take some of the pastebin "leaks" in the next gen speculation thread serious? :D

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Didn't the old site have rules where people who were wrong about leaks were banned? I'm fairly certain that was a thing and I'm surprised Era has not followed that motion as well.
I'm with this, the problem is that people are blatantly wrong and people spread their bullshit afterwards regardless.

Look at P5R Switch exclusive guy, he was wrong and kept changing his story but people kept taking his word even though it was obvious he was making it up on the fly.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I don't think that banning anyone is a solution, because they're not the main problem. Instead, people here just need to stop believing in all that nonsense, no matter how much they want to because it suits their prefered narrative. It's not a difficult conversation, it's all very simple. Some of it might turn out to be true, some of it might not, but in the end you DON'T NEED to know things in advance.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
The actual conversation Era needs to has is

1) An introspective look at how a community behaves around a corporate marketing event, just how much identity is tied in to the event, and ultimately just how much anticipation and hype is directed at it that nothing could ever compare to the reality. If you got gassed by the idea of Miyamoto coming out on Microsoft's stage that's on you.

2) The realisation that while surprises are generally quite nice, leaks are not as damaging as suggested as accurate leaks are just information. The damage it potentially does not might lie at the feet of leakers, but may lie at the feet of the structure of the industry itself and why so much corporate secrecy is needed.
This all day. I will still admit that watching people lose their minds over video games is still hilarious though.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Most people that actually has insider knowledge you won't see them post here.
No one wants to put their, or the person that trust him with that information, job and financial security over some internet points. And those who do, they usually have their own websites for it.

So just take every "insider" around here with a huge huge grain of salt.

Dec 2, 2017
Always take insiders with a grain of salt. But at the same time I dislike how quickly we turn on proven insiders when they maybe get a detail wrong or plans change.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Permaban for spreading speculation/rumors under the guise of leaks.

No links to social media presence / self-promotion.

Or simply press ignore and move on.

:D

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Problem is that people here overhype their track record to the point that it starts to get hard to track who's record.

A lot of posters here insisted that the Eldrick for Smash leaks were from solid track records even though they predicted P5 Switch and Jack Frost Smash were filled with shit.

No matter the bullshit, people will insist "no this guys got a good track record" when its obvious they don't.

Leakers are filled with shit should always be the moral of the story.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I am more concerned by people doing it while being high executive in politics or company... And you should too.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I've been around sports too long but this inside stuff seems so non threatening that I can't help but not really care. It's like NBA free agency... You'll hear allot of ish but take none of it as fact until seen.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I dunno, I don't think it matters that much. Don't get swept up unless a source is verified. Even then keep yourself in check because hype is a dangerous thing to some and the comedown makes people mad

CassioAug

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Although I agree that straight up lying about E3 content leaks should not be allowed, the biggest culprit is people own false expectations and lack of logical thinking. People tend to believe in any ridiculously unlikely (or literally impossible) rumours about games or hardware specs, and then they set themselves for a huge disappointment during the event. This happens every single year... it's like that Sonic cycle.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
This year is nowhere bad as it was at certain point on NeoGAF, with its glorified insiders.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
And despite seeing for ourselves that all of their info is completely false, post E3, we seem to let them slide. Despite knowing that they'll rinse and repeat the process next E3. Era bans certain publications who have a history of posting false info. Shouldn't we do the same with users who are flagrant in promoting false info for their own self interests? Wouldn't our discourse be elevated by only referring to, or posting info from sources with reliable track records or verified by our mods?

Just my thoughts...

But they do already? mods verify insiders, and if they can't delive a proof they get banned.

Example, From games, Omnipotent is a verified insider, and post legit info. Another guy (which name I wouldn't say) got temp-banned because he posted like he was an insider but couldn't prove it.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Please do not make meta-threads about the community as they rarely produce any meaningful or productive conversation.

This also constitutes a reaction thread, per our E3 rules:

No reaction threads – To prevent clutter we will lock all reaction threads during E3. A reaction thread is a topic about a hot take or some other personal reaction to anything that did or did not happen during E3. Examples include "Why wasn't the Switch 2 announced?", "Did Ubisoft just win E3?" and "I can't believe the leaks were real". These sort of topics can be discussed in news threads and conference threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.