• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Now before people come in calling me a troll or this is a reaction thread (which it partly is), this is a topic that needs to be talked about on resetera. I'm also not making this thread for people to come in and talk about other threads!

There has been plenty of threads where people have had issues with moderation (some recent examples that I won't link are included). Obviously sometimes people are complaining about nothing, but there has been so many instances where I've seen threads with someone being called out for the crap they posted and asking mods to warn/ban them, only for the people calling out the post to get banned for derailment and the thread to be locked, and the person who should have been reprimanded gets nothing.

Now these examples aren't just "I don't like what they said so ban them", these are ones that are straight breach of the "rules" of Era (of which I will also be breaking some here if I post this, but I hope as someone with no warnings or bans that I won't be permanently banned for this). There have been issues with racism, xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia, sympathising with paedophilia and, more recently, ignoring mental health problems and laughing at them as if they're a joke (and I'm sure there is plenty of more examples people can come up with). And all that comes out of these threads are a few people banned for "mod whining" and it being locked.

There are so many important topics on this site that get downplayed or ignored, including the list above and much more. What makes it worse then is a mod edit saying they don't accept certain things on the site or they respect certain groups of people, but then it can be seen in the lack of moderation against the issue that it just isn't true.

Now I know they say if you have problems with moderation to PM a mod. Now that's like telling people that if you have a problem with your manager talk to them. That can be a solution, your manager might be willing to listen and change, depends on the manager. Or they could turn around and be a total ass to you and make your life a living hell. Or in the case of resetera, ban you behind closed doors so no one knows any different.

There should be somewhere where moderation can be discussed openly without fear of getting banned for saying you have a problem about something (of course if someone is an ass ban away). This can be something that's always open, something done once every few months, but it needs to be done. The gap between moderation and the community is getting bigger and it needs to be addressed.

Now I know this thread is going to be locked but it needs to be said in the open and something needs to be done about it instead of every thread being half banned and there being about 20 mod posts and edits.

TLDR; Members of the site should be able to talk to moderators openly about issues seen on the site to prevent the gap between the community and the mods getting bigger.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Maybe we should have an OT for this kind of concerns, would be good to have a place to talk about that.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It would be nice to be able to have a discussion about the site and have it be a little more transparent, which was the aim when it started

I feel like half the time I come here to discuss an ongoing topic, the topic is temp locked pending reports being checked, and so it's hard to actually talk about things in a timely manner

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
We receive large amounts of feedback on moderation on a daily basis, and the staff meets every week to discuss it and try to do better. We understand that this thread was created in good faith, but invariably public discussions on this get hijacked by trolls or posters who are more interested in drama than solutions -- it's deeply frustrating for us especially because it can be hard to tell the difference.

We do listen to people privately, we've made countless adjustments because of it, and we'll continue to do that work as best we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.