• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think we need to talk about who and what certain posters defend, in one instance and rightfully so people defend a passion, but I've seen some quite alarming posts defending a certain singer recently, for a site that is apparently so progressive there's a real issue here, after seeing within a thread about R Kelly users very quickly jumping to a guilty verdict, why now a documentary about Micheal Jackson we're seeing people defend a man who has paid off multiple families?

I find it deeply concerning that people
Will dismiss victims interviews and almost victim blame them, that's never ok.

It's not progressive to support someone who clearly had a lot of issues in life and also predatory taste. I personally think that anyone defending Jackson is also a dangerous person and should be banned.

Let's not forget the issues both this and an old site had with people who were of the same mindset as other predators.
I don't find anyone who defends such a person having a non dangerous point of view.

Posters are so quick to condemn people that have different political / views but you're also infested with people that defend people that have had sexual relations with kids. It's not a good look, and the fact that people will be banned quicker for agreeing with trump than with a pedophile is baffling to me.

Is there anyone else that finds these types of defence forces really uncomfortable? As for me it really doesn't sit right.

Dec 2, 2017
I find certain types of defence forces incredibly disingenuous (is that the right word) in the sense of they often completely dismiss stuff like evidence staring them in the face, witness testimonies, etc. Like they're just declining to accept that someone they were a fan of was a monster, and often do so by acting like they're the smart ones, or the objective ones, or whatever.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Defense forces for when From Software doesn't have review copies are the worst

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
to be honest, defense force is another one of those stupid terms that's been popularized into triviality on this board. it's essentially come to mean "the people i disagree with". and yes, this is a discussion board, and if it's a good discussion board then there's going to be people you disagree with.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I dunno, I think that Terry Crews' apology was legitimate. Immediately disowning him because of one fuck-up after years of positive stuff is about as knee-jerk as I'd expect from this forum.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
people are irrational at the end of the day. in some ways, i think some people are such big fans that they simply do not want it to be true. this denial is problematic and shows how these celebrities get away with it for so long tbh.

but i can also see it as a reaction to your childhood hero being a downright awful person and struggling to come to terms with it. if i am a huge michael jackson fan, and this is who he really is, what does that say about me? in all honesty though, michael jackson is before my time so i honestly do not understand the infatuation; i don't see the big deal. but i'm young enough that by the time i started really looking into his music, i had already known from gossip and inappropriate jokes in elementary school that this guy was a child molester.

imo the most troublesome and dangerous 'defense force' in our society is folks willing to defend those who do not put their ketchup back in the fridge after opening it. how could anyone defend that in good faith?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
to be honest, defense force is another one of those stupid terms that's been popularized into triviality on this board. it's essentially come to mean "the people i disagree with". and yes, this is a discussion board, and if it's a good discussion board, then there's going to be people you disagree with.

In b4 the defense force defense force

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
to be honest, defense force is another one of those stupid terms that's been popularized into triviality on this board. it's essentially come to mean "the people i disagree with". and yes, this is a discussion board, and if it's a good discussion board then there's going to be people you disagree with.

It's supposed to mean people that are defending the indefensible afaik. Like MJ.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing MJ is guilty of is being a weirdo.
Unfortunately a lot of people conflate weirdo with pedo.
R Kelly on the other needs to go. It was obvious the moment he tried to marry Aaliyah.

Oct 26, 2017
Amen. Now I'm going to ignore this thread before it devolves into garbage like the MJ thread itself, mostly because of people saying the same stupid terms in there instead of discussing anything.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I find certain types of defence forces incredibly disingenuous (is that the right word) in the sense of they often completely dismiss stuff like evidence staring them in the face, witness testimonies, etc. Like they're just declining to accept that someone they were a fan of was a monster, and often do so by acting like they're the smart ones, or the objective ones, or whatever.
We get this to an annoying degree any time there's a Chris Brown thread.

There were a decent number of users inexplicably defending XXXTentacion for a good while, until there was too much evidence to ignore what a monster he was.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
to be honest, defense force is another one of those stupid terms that's been popularized into triviality on this board. it's essentially come to mean "the people i disagree with". and yes, this is a discussion board, and if it's a good discussion board, then there's going to be people you disagree with.

THANK YOU.

I also don't understand this desire to have posters banned - I think this forum does a decent enough job of self-policing stupid opinions without needing for the authorities to step in every 5 seconds.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i will defend TLJ till i die

defense force is such a bullllshit term,

it is you talking from your high horse how you have a better opinion than the people you disagree with

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, everyone who disagrees with me is just a troll arguing in bad faith

-COOLIO- is cancelled

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need to talk about people who start their thread titles with 'We need to talk about".

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Please do not make meta threads. Users are encouraged to report posts that they think break the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.