• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai just shot himself in the foot by adding Minecraft Steve to Smash.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Smash's new character pass, nor will they purchase any of Sakurai's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sakurai has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sakurai, publicly apologize and cancel your plans for future DLC characters, or you can kiss your business goodbye.

cloudzack117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Streusel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 28, 2017
i expect posts like this, just meant seriously, when a Western character who is unpopular in Japan is added

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when this was originally posted on NeoGAF, it was truly an epic comment, born out of a serious, desperate console war moment. The gift that keeps on giving.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
It was GameFaqs, actually

I googled and this is all I found:

knowyourmeme.com

Japanese Culture (I'm an Expert)

Japanese Culture (I'm an Expert) refers to a copypasta which spread primarily on NeoGAF making fun of a poster who claimed to be an expert on Japanese culture criticizing Square Enix for releasing Final Fantasy XIII on the Xbox 360. The copypasta has been parodied with numerous different...

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I googled and this is all I found:

knowyourmeme.com

Japanese Culture (I'm an Expert)

Japanese Culture (I'm an Expert) refers to a copypasta which spread primarily on NeoGAF making fun of a poster who claimed to be an expert on Japanese culture criticizing Square Enix for releasing Final Fantasy XIII on the Xbox 360. The copypasta has been parodied with numerous different...
I guess it was GAF

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when this was originally posted on NeoGAF, it was truly an epic comment, born out of a serious, desperate console war moment. The gift that keeps on giving.
The secret of the post was that it was a troll that everyone took at face value because they want to believe so hard

like that scene where all the people on the train put Spiderman's mask back on

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
No idea why but for some reason seeing your avatar before reading the post made me hear it in Webby's voice. Smash DLC Discourse themed episode inbound?

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Sakurai just shot himself in the foot by adding Minecraft Steve to Smash.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Smash's new character pass, nor will they purchase any of Sakurai's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sakurai has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sakurai, publicly apologize and cancel your plans for future DLC characters, or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Oh monk ya big goofball.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be about how much shade he was throwing at Nintendo that entire presentation.

That was kind of insane.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I saw Sakurai at a grocery store yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"
I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
This meme will live on into eternity.

Seriously though, the writing was on the wall after Banjo got into Smash, multiple characters from third parties, and a second fighter pass was announced. Minecraft is huge in Japan, Microsoft is cooperative, and Sakurai loves oddball characters.

Unless Sakurai is prepared to alienate the Japanese audience, the only other western third party character who has a chance is Crash, since he's also well-known here. Same applied to Banjo.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I expect posts like this, just meant seriously, when a Western character who is unpopular in Japan is added

Minecraft is big in Japan. LOL

The writing was on the wall after Banjo got into Smash, multiple characters from third parties, and a second fighter pass was announced. Minecraft is huge in Japan, Microsoft is cooperative, and Sakurai loves oddball characters.

Unless Sakurai is prepared to alienate the Japanese audience, the only other western third party character who has a chance is Crash, since he's also well-known here. Same applied to Banjo.

This. Nintendo of Japan are only going to pick the cast of characters in which their IP's also have a big popularity within Japan & their Japanese fanbase, hence why Dark Samus, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie & now Steve have been chosen, whatever they're Nintendo characters or outside of them. Whatever they're Japanese-made or Western-made.

Characters like Master Chief wouldn't fit within that scenario like Banjo & Kazooie & Steve had.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well done, OP. You inspired me to push over a magazine rack at my Local Gamers Store.

Fuck this disrespect.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Overheard in Resetera after Steve's announcement:

"He got me," Era said of Sakurai's announcement of Steve. "That f***ing Sakurai boomed me."

Era added, "He's so good," repeating it four times.

Era then said they wanted to add Steve to the list of characters they think are only for kids.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the Steve news today. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is this happening? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown.

I think this post came from the same incident, iirc.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be Geno but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with him anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew Minecraft wasn't expected, they should've cancelled the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.