• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
old.reddit.com

AITA for Sabotaging My Friend’s Engagement Plans?

A catharsis for the frustrated moral philosopher in all of us, and a place to finally find out if you were wrong in an argument that's been...

I think the title sounds worse than it really is. My (24M) best friend (24M) Hugh was planning to propose to his girlfriend Samantha (25F) by recreating some of the moments from their early dates. This included watching the Pixar movie Up and going rock climbing at an indoor gym, among other things. I don't have anything against Sam – she's an ok looking girl, but Hugh's last girlfriend (Trish) was his soulmate. She could probably be a model if she really wanted to. They broke up because she moved away for work, but what he didn't know was that Trish was moving back for a new job.

I thought he would be thrilled when I told him but before I could, he told me that he was going to propose to Sam. I figured that if Hugh dumped Sam for Trish, people would hate Trish for being a homewrecker, but if I could break up Hugh and Sam, then Hugh and Trish could get together without any guilt.

Over the last few days Hugh has been asking to borrow my copy of Up and I didn't want to say no, so I just kept saying "I'll look for it". Then things exploded yesterday. I was hanging out with Hugh and Sam when suddenly he surprised everyone by suggesting that we all go rock climbing at the gym that night. My stomach sank. Hugh must have said something to Sam because the entire drive there she kept harassing me about lending my DVD to Hugh. I don't know if she knew everything or just suspected it. Hugh was mid-climb on a wall when Sam left to go to the bathroom. While she was gone, Hugh said that he was going to pop the question when she got back and he wanted me to lower him to the ground where he would land on one knee and pull the ring out of his pocket. I admit that I panicked and didn't know what to do. Two seconds later Sam is back and the first thing she starts yammering on about is the DVD. She's just chirping in my ear, meanwhile Hugh is at the top of the wall yelling at me to lower him down, so she also starts shouting at me to lower him down. That's when I just snapped and yelled loud enough for everyone in the gym to freeze in place. I finally had enough and I looked Sam in the eyes and said, "I'm never going to give Hugh Up. I'm never going to let Hugh down."

-_-

YTA my dude.

For rickrolling me in 2020 lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.