• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
tl;dr: partner and I are having our first kid soon. He's got a penis. Should we have him circumcised shortly after birth?

We've looked up tons of peer-reviewed papers on the practice. Here in the USA, it seems like circumcision rates are declining, slowly, with maybe 50-60% of boys now being circumcised from a peak of maybe 70-90% at one point. It varies heavily by state and racial/ethnic demographic, too.

But, looking at the papers, there are several benefits to circumcision: reduced risk of contracting HIV, HPV, penile cancer, and other diseases/ailments. The reasons against circumcision are more philosophical as the procedure itself is relatively safe with rarely any major complications. There doesn't seem to be much evidence to support removal of the foreskin causing decreased sexual pleasure. But, philosophically speaking, the baby obviously cannot give consent, and furthermore, the baby will feel quite a lot of pain once the local anesthetic wears off.

What would you do or what have you done? Any data or evidence to support your decision is greatly appreciated, but any discussion at all is appreciated.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Abuse if you ask me. 🤷‍♂️ But I'm from the UK and the only people I know who are have had it done had a genuine medical requirement to have it done

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Entirely up to you and your partner. Don't let us decide it for you OP. We had our son circumcised, but it was a decision that we made together. With no outside opinions.

I suggest you close this thread and talk with your partner.

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
quantum-leap-oh-boyz.jpg

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I couldn't justify it with my son, but it's your choice. Penis aesthetics never struck me as a great reason.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless your kid is born clearly with something that you NEED a circumcision, PLEASE don't do this. Don't spread this honestly sad culture that's so ingrained in the US

Oct 28, 2017
You do you but it is genital mutilation and I say this as someone circumsized and don't really care that I was however if it's obviously medical then yeah that's different.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I'm a male, and I'm circumcised. Non religious reasons. But I don't really have an opinion about whether or not you should. It has been fine for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't do it to my boy, though it was done to me when I was born. My wife and I think he is fine the way he was born, no need to cut of any parts of his body.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
i mean your kid can get it done later if they want, but they cant really undo it if they dont

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Unless there is was medical reason or you just like male genital mutilation, no. It's fucking sick and abuse.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
don't make changes to your children's body without their consent without an urgent medical reason

you can talk to your child like in 15 years about the benefits

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Don't do it. Uncircumcised dicks are so much better to jerk off and it's not even close IMO.

More serious answer: Circumcision can lead to various issues, especially when done on a baby since you don't know how the dick will grow. It is far easier to fix issues caused by not circumcising because you can just circumcise if medically needed. Can't really fix the opposite very easily.

Last edited:

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
i didn't but then i had developed a medical condition that required it in middle school. glad i had it done but it was a miserable experience to remember. kinda wish it was done when i couldn't remember. idk, ymmv and it seems like most people are more adverse to have it done because it's considered mutilation.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Uh just to be clear: my partner and I have discussed this extensively and are pretty sure we have our decision made (no circumcision). I more just wanted a discussion on the topic and didn't mean to imply we'd decide based entirely on a stranger on the internet's opinion.

As mentioned, we've looked up quite a few papers on the topic. We're more against it from a philosophical stand point, but we were surprised to learn that it's almost objectively a health improvement to circumcise, at least in terms of measurable reduction in acquiring various STDs/STIs.

Oct 27, 2017
Can only speak from experience but as a circumsized American I am so damn happy my parents had it done for me after birth.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
it's his choice to make.

I've always thought it was insane that this is even something people think about in america. the only guy I know that's circumcised had it done as an adult for a medical reason

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
A thread designed to cull the herd...yikes. Do your research. Examine your values. Make your decision.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
But, looking at the papers, there are several benefits to circumcision: reduced risk of contracting HIV, HPV, penile cancer, and other diseases/ailments.
Would you give a hypothetical daughter a prophylatic mastectomy at birth?*

*Noting that it doesn't actually work like that, but if it did how would you feel about the idea?

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I prefer circumcised look but it's better to let the child decide

Status
Not open for further replies.