• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I recall a fierce debate at the old forum about whether the Switch was a successor to the Wii U and the 3DS, or just the Wii U. Those who said it was just a Wii U successor seemed to use this as a way to knock it down a peg, because while the launch sales were fantastic, they were essentially saying so what, it was just replacing the Wii U, which was by far Nintendo's worst selling console, and it shouldn't get praise for replacing their much more successful handheld line. At least, that's how it seemed to me. I always thought it was a hybrid, and was therefore replacing both the Wii U and 3DS.

Long story short, today was the final nail in the coffin of the idea that the Switch was only replacing the Wii U and that a separate 3DS successor would come along. I guess technically that is the Switch Lite and not Switch OG, but it's still a Switch, and not some separate 3DS 2 type of system (4DS? 1DS?). So does anyone want to own up to claiming that the Switch was not a 3DS successor and apologize if they got nasty about it?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood that debate.
From the moment it was announced, it was obviously going to be the only console of Nintendo going forward. I'd say the outcome was predictable ever since Nintendo announced the fusion of all their internal software departments. But for some reason people were really pent up on whether it was a Wii U or 3DS successor, when it was just the next Nintendo console. Successor of both or none.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I always said I hoped it did, I don't play handhelds but want to play the games that released on handhelds so the Switch was like the perfect way Nintendo could go. It makes no sense for Nintendo to make a completely different line of products for portable gaming when the Switch can do both depending on which version you get.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a successor to both.
Kind of like the DS was a successor to the GBA, just because the form factor is a bit different and Nintendo didn't initially pitch it as one doesn't mean it's not.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty clear that Switch was going to be Nintendo's main platform moving forward.

All their IP's in one place. That was basically the pitch, and it paid off.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I think that ship sailed when they said mainline Pokémon was coming to the switch.

Bingo bongo.

Even if we wind up getting a Switch Pro the big takeaway is that it's all under a single family. Nintendo struggled for years juggling separate console and handheld libraries, and now it's all under a single roof.

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
This debate is so dumb, it's literally a sucessor to both plataforms, portable and couch console.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Even Nintendo wasn't that sure when they announced the Switch. They sold us the Switch as a console with additional feature like handheldgaming.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Even Nintendo wasn't that sure when they announced the Switch. They sold us the Switch as a console with additional feature like handheldgaming.

I think they were pretty sure, but maybe wanted to hedge a bit and leave an opening in case the Switch failed, given how much they felt burned by the Wii U.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I was part of team "There won't be a Switch without detachable Joycons or TV-Output because that's antithetical to the Switch Branding" but hey, Nintendo's gonna Nintendo, and i've grown to accept that "cheaper, mobile only SKU" is more important than some kind of esoteric "Branding consistency"

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
You took people saying it was a Wii U successor as trying to downplay it's success? You may be a bit too invested in this. It just means that the Switch is the latest home console from Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.