• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5519

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to think of the top 5 games that always get mentioned in rankings and top games threads. Rather than this be a list thread, as those arent even allowed I'd just like to see if we can arrive at some consensus of what those top 5 games are across the industry from the most objective level possible. I feel like I can pitch 2 that are concrete as most frequently picked best games of all time.

Final Fantasy VII
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I cant think of what the other three would be? Feel free to disregard those two entries if you think I'm smoking something but I'm pretty sure they are in the top 5.

To make this topic have better discussion, if we could discuss why said titles have earned such a lofty status, whether it simply be the time in which they released or quality that still stands up years or decades later.

What are the universal top 5 GOAT?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Ocarina of Time/Breath of the Wild
Final Fantasy VII
Super Mario Galaxy (2)
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil 4

Probably something like this?

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I already disagree with almost every game in this thread, so I guess "universally" is gonna be pretty hard to come up with.

Zippro

May 20, 2018
Open it up to 10 and it'd probably be DOOM, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, Final Fantasy VII/VI/IX, Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil 4, Kid Icarus Uprising, Devil May Cry 3, Silent Hill 2, and Metal Gear Solid 3.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy VII
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario 64
I don't know (but maybe it should be Grand Theft Auto III)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 still has one of the highest review scores ever, but people don't mention it with the greats like they used to

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
This is impossible. You could possibly narrow the 5 greats of each genre, but not in the whole of gaming.

Take Super Mario Bros for example: it's a milestone moment for gaming, but there are so many Mario games that are better than that.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Tetris is probably going to be the one that's super agreed upon.

If you mention FF7, someone is going to mention that 6 was better. If you mention OoT, someone (me) will say that ALttP was better. GTA3, Vice City, etc.

Tetris is the one standard that I can see remain. (And it happens to be my favorite game of all time.)

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It is impossible to do.
I see a lot of lists and no one as listed an arcarde game. And I see some list which started with 5th gen console, it is a bad start and show that a "young" gamer draw it.
Super Mario Bros 3, Tetris, Castlevania Simphony of the Night, Chrono Trigger, Half Life.

Just naming 5 at random.
Agree with all 5 but, like you said, there are others (a lot).

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
My kids would say Minecraft, Fortnite... I would say Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil 4 and Tetris. I feel old

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Tetris
One of the SMB games(I think SMB3?)
Ocarina of Time
MGS3
RE4

These aren't in my top 10, but I think most people have one of these appear on their top 5 lists the most and most people don't dispute these being some of the greatest games ever.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I can't decide 5 but my shortlist
SMB3
Mario World
ALTTP
OoT
FF7
Mario64
BG2 SOA
RE4
SotC
Galaxy
GTAV
The Last of Us
Bloodborne
BotW

Dodoow

Oct 30, 2017
Metroid Prime
Metal Gear Solid V
A Link to the Past
Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I realize this is a loaded question but anyone who doesn't have OoT on their list is either being willfully ignorant or was born in 2008

My list:

Zelda OoT
Super Mario 64
Tetris
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Ocarina of Time
Witcher 3
Mario 64
Super Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Skyrim

I feel like those are always mentioned while GTA rotates with whatever version people tend to gravitate towards.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
From our general guide:

Do Not Create: List Threads

A list thread is a thread that encourages replies that largely or completely take the form of lists. For example: Asking members to rank their favorite characters in media. These threads tend not to generate much, if any, actual discussion or member interaction. Voting threads (threads that solicit ballot-style replies) will usually fall under this category as well, unless a lot of effort is put into them. If you wish to create a voting thread, please contact an Administrator to seek approval beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.