• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which approach do you like?

• Sony’s approach in making PS5 games only PS5

Votes: 157 75.5%
  • Xbox’s approach in keeping support for older systems

Votes: 51 24.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
With Jim Ryan stating that PS5 games will take full advantage of the PS5 system and none of those will be on PS4, while Microsoft taking a very different approach towards that, where they claim that games for next generation will be able to run on older consoles, what are you thoughts on this? I keep seeing differences in opinion but it goes more to PlayStation's approach. For me it's 50/50.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Haven't we had this thread already? I feel like it's familiar.

EDIT: Knew I wasn't just making things up.

www.resetera.com

Sony believes in console generations; Microsoft wants to eliminate them completely. What's the better strategy?

After watching the Inside Xbox showcase last week and being disappointed and kind of bored with what was shown, I went back earlier today and re-watched the Road to the PS5 video with Mark Cerny. I guess I missed this part when I first watched the presentation (probably because the full spec...

EDIT2: Thanks for the links.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Sony believes in console generations; Microsoft wants to eliminate them completely. What's the better strategy?

After watching the Inside Xbox showcase last week and being disappointed and kind of bored with what was shown, I went back earlier today and re-watched the Road to the PS5 video with Mark Cerny. I guess I missed this part when I first watched the presentation (probably because the full spec...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Considering my PS4 sounds like a jet engine that wants to take off while doing pretty much anything, I'm fine with a generational transition. I don't see any reason to downgrade games so they can be playable on old hardware, especially considering it's not really built to last in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Where is third option in lines of "Too early to say, both approaches while very different could be successful. One isn't inherently better than other"?

As is poll is just "Which platform you prefer?" with added words next to platform choice

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Their approaches only apply to first party and only differ for up to the first 12 months maximum as per Booty.

Also there are XSX only games at launch (eg The Medium, Scorn), just not from first party.

It seems this is not understood by many, hence threads like this. But that's probably on MS for poor messaging, and they have every opportunity to clear it up themselves.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
I honestly think microsoft is not even doing a new approach. At least not voluntary. They simply have no games ready that are made for next gen only and are using marketing spin to cover for that.

Anyway, I buy new hardware for new games. So of course I would like those games to actually use the hardware to the fullest and that the games are not being held back by the old consoles. The cross-gen period this generation was painful.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love what Microsoft has been doing with this new generation, I really do dislike their stance on ensuring everything is playable on all their systems, including those that are going on 8 years old. I would be about 100x more excited if Halo Infinite was built from the ground up for the Series X.

Maybe I'm just old school, but to me, a new console (especially one that is a big technological leap over previous systems) should have exclusives or a "killer app" at launch that truly shows off the hardware. I'm glad Sony still believes in that.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Too early to say which one 'works better', although working better is relative to each company's goals and product strategy. They're both valid approaches and all this question really comes down to is "are you a PlayStation fan or an Xbox fan?".

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I don't expect to see cross-gen games by the end of 2021 and pretty much all the interesting stuff from MS is probably 2022+ so yes, not a big deal for me.

And honestly i'm indifferent to both, a cross-gen game can also be better than a lot of next-gen titles.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I like both, but I wouldn't want both consoles to be the same. I want one to play the fully next-gen experiences, and one to have the legacy support so I don't feel like I have to upgrade right away.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's approach only applies to the first year or so... so it's not really that different from Sony's strategy.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New console gen -> Exclusive 1st party games for the new console, without being held back / wasting time with the 7 year old last-gen hardware.
As it should be. So yeah, give me the PS5 already.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
As much as I love what Microsoft has been doing with this new generation, I really do dislike their stance on ensuring everything is playable on all their systems, including those that are going on 8 years old. I would be about 100x more excited if Halo Infinite was built from the ground up for the Series X.

Maybe I'm just old school, but to me, a new console (especially one that is a big technological leap over previous systems) should have exclusives or a "killer app" at launch that truly shows off the hardware. I'm glad Sony still believes in that.

How is their strategy different from PC's? You want Ultra settings you get the new box. You want to just experience it with no bells and whistle you buy it on your old box.

People are making a bigger deal out of this than necessary. Look at how incredible TLOU2 looks.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
The extent to which MS supports "no generations" or whatever is generally greatly exaggerated, or at least the focus is wrong. They will have some cross gen games at launch and into 2021, which is hardly strange as these things go. We already know third parties are bringing next-gen exclusives at launch. And then it'll be business as usual.

I think their intended focus was more on BC and peripherals meaning that all your old stuff comes forward, oh and by the way they'll keep supporting XB1 for a bit. Not this radical "no next gen" strategy that's often portrayed.

So just to say I don't really care about the distinction between PS and Xbox since it's gonna come down to like three games having XB1 versions that wouldn't have had PS4 versions if released by Sony. Who cares?

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
How is their strategy different from PC's? You want Ultra settings you get the new box. You want to just experience it with no bells and whistle you buy it on your old box.

People are making a bigger deal out of this than necessary. Look at how incredible TLOU2 looks.
TLOU2 does look incredible but Horizon 2 or whatever Sony will show off next week will graphically destroy TLOU2 easily.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
when I buy next gen consoles, I demand true next gen consoles built from the ground up to take advantage of the new tech. If not, then why even make a new console? Just continue with your current box. I fully support the way Sony is transitioning. We have had a lot and will continue to have block buster exclusives this year for PS4. It's time for PS5. Ps4 already did it's job, on to the next.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the MS approach, personally. It doesn't leave your older systems out in the cold, in a "yeah we're done, never gonna touch this again" way once the new systems come out, since they seem to do BC better than Sony has thus far. I also think that the current gen still has life left in it, so not pushing people to upgrade ASAP if they don't need to (especially with the current situation) is a wiser move.

I do think generations are a good idea, and if you're going to make a generational split that's fine too, but pushing people to buy your system for years and years then dropping it suddenly when it suits you (as the platform holder) isn't something I've been enamored with. I also do suspect that Sony would be more eager to make a switch to a new gen since they announced most of their big PS4 titles quite a while ago and have almost released all of them.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
when I buy next gen consoles, I demand true next gen consoles built from the ground up to take advantage of the new tech. If not, then why even make a new console? Just continue with your current box. I fully support the way Sony is transitioning. We have had a lot and will continue to have block buster exclusives. It's time for PS5.
Alot of launch games in general wont do that tho from the ground up. Even tho they are exclusive. As most games will be in dev for about 2 years already.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Sony always supports their consoles up until the end of their cycle. We're getting 2 juggernauts that could easily be cross gen or have had development ported to the PS5.
I'm glad they chose to support the PS4 until now and I'm glad that PS5 games are PS5 games only, taking advantage of the console and not letting older hardware hold them back.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Sony, if am paying 499 for a new console, i better see some mindblowing shit

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without a doubt, Sony's. There will be plenty of multi-plat, cross generational games from 3rd party devs the first few years. I want 1st party to really push the systems. MS's approach out of the gate is disappointing to me.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
TLOU2 does look incredible but Horizon 2 or whatever Sony will show off next week will graphically destroy TLOU2 easily.

And so will Hellblade. Did less graphical fidelity hurt BotW or Mario Odyssey. I'm not stressed about the visuals on MS 1st party games for the first 1 or 2.

And again, how is this that much different from PC gaming?

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Sony's approach despite being more invested in Xbox. I get both positions, I just think Sony's will result in better looking/running games.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Ok not sure why we have to vote on which one is "better" - they are different. That's the entire point.

Also in two years time it isn't going to look that "different".

But I actually like it. The compatibility on the Xbox side is awesome. Being able to have a hard drive of old One, 360, and Xbox games playable on day one, plus Game Pass on top of that means so much of my library is being preserved and I'll be able to play everything at the highest quality possible. Then on the Sony side I'll grab a PS5 to play those exclusives. No complaints from me.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Moving on to a new gen is undoubtedly better for development. There's no real difference in philosophy there - part of the incoherence of Microsoft's position at the moment is that they espouse those advantages in interviews, while having nothing ready that's been able to benefit from those advantages to coincide with the hardware launch. Their software pipeline simply wasn't ready, it was in re-build mode at the time when projects needed to be greenlit for launch, and they're '1-2 years' behind.

They will quite happily have next-gen only projects as soon as possible, they're in development right now, but they can only be ready when they're ready. As soon as they are ready, this 'no console left behind' PR will remarkably start to dissipate.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Sony's. But I don't dislike MS approach either since I have a One X.

Just means I don't have to pick up a Series X for a couple years.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
My thoughts are that sony is taking a serious downside of their system and playing it off as a feature.

If you think launch window titles are going to be some massive leap forward that the previous gen is incapable of, you haven't been paying attention. Outside of the 2d to 3d switch, that has NEVER been the case. How often do you play this gen's launch titles? Can you tell me off hand what those games do that the previous gen hardware could not? No. All microsoft is doing is adopting the same model that the PC gaming industry has been using since forever. And games like The Medium and Scorn show that if a dev truly does only want to focus on next gen, even when being an xbox exclusive, they have that option.

All this bluster about games being 'held back' is exactly the same kind of crap that sony's marketing was spewing about the "power of the cell" and how DVD was totally holding games back. Of course in the fullness of time bluray ended up being a liability to the ps3 and the 360 games consistently ran better on the supposedly weaker hardware.

Absolute worse case scenario: xbox games have 4 second load times for the first year.

Only microsoft could get criticized for being pro consumer.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
I'm all for backwards compatibility, but next gen should be about next gen games. However, I understand from a business standpoint it makes sense to support current gen and next gen for the next year or so though.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer sony's as I will always play new games on the new system so I want all the dev time focused on that, I also don't replay many games from previous gens.
I don't mind the flexibility of MS approach though and understand why it is the way it is.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I truly believe this gen will allow very big improvements on gameplay level (ai, radiant worlds, systems etc.) using the much stronger cpu and SSD. You can't scale that. That's why I like Sony's approach way more. In the end I'm guessing microsoft's idea will last for a year and they'll also fully transition. The only real difference seems to be the messaging and a year time.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I like MS approach more because it leads to smoother transitions between gens for consumers and more options are always a good thing.

Deleted member 33567

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Maybe the Microsoft games will be more multiplayer focussed, so they want the Combined install base to make them a success.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like a poll designed only for console sales.

Because Xbox is all about growing Game Pass then doesn't it stand to reason that they should keep their subscribers across devices engaged with new games? Wouldn't they lose a lot of current subscribers if they switched to only supporting a new premium XSX console?

Seems there needs to be some cross-gen support as people transition to new hardware so they minimize loss in subscriber base. Plus they can't leave behind PC development.

Comparing Sony and MS in their approach to game business goals is like comparing apples and bowlingballs.

Last edited:

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I sat there for a while on this poll.

I like backwards compatibility.

I also like games that are targeted towards a specific piece of hardware.

From what I understand of this poll and question, we aren't talking about BC. It's about the ideology of how next-gen games are going to be built. Sony's is PS5 only approach. Microsoft's is cross-gen approach.

So with that line of thought, PS5 approach is my preferred approach.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I am not even sure how to answer this question. Was Infamous Second Sons a better game than TF because it was next gen only?

I am trying to think of next gen only games that released in 2013/2014 that were miles better.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Microsoft's approach is more in line with the PC world, and I absolutely love their passion regarding backwards compatibility (this is something that's also great about Windows as an OS).

But from a pure console perspective, I prefer Sony's approach. Consoles last a long ass time already. Supporting old generations after a certain point I think actually hurts the new games being made.

Ctalkeb

Apr 12, 2020
Needs option C: "Outside of the launch/year one period they won't be different though"

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I'll probably keep my PS4 for one more year, but when I get my PS5, I sure will be wanting to see proper next gen exclusive games.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Both approaches work, but I'd be upset if they swapped roles here. I was pretty unhappy with Xbox One to say the least, so I'd rather not get a Series X. This way if they announce any game that I'd consider a system seller, I can just get it on Xbox One.

I was pretty happy with PS4, so I assume I'll get PS5. As an owner of the console I'd definitely prefer games are made to take full advantage of the hardware.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
There are more things on MS strategy. In terms of buy option. I just buy consoles for exclusives. So ps5 is the only option.

But MS has 2 interesting things: gamepass and targeting performance(60fps).

Status
Not open for further replies.