• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
So, I haven't played Bloodborne, but as far as I know this is a new mechanic in From games.

I like the part where exploring and spying on enemies is rewarded through giving you extra information or a little story quip. That's great, the game does that a few times.

I hate when the mechanic comes in to play in the story and in unlocking content. Some of these situations are absurd.
You expect me to walk behind a wall and look for a button prompt, because the NPCs I just talked to would spill their secrets? Eventhough I just stood next to you? While I'm still in the house or even the same room? And later do it next to a very specific place outside of a house. But literally only this one tiny specific location?
And for some reason it is then done several times in one questline, locking one of the (apparently) hardest bosses and an ending behind this easily missable, and not repeatable moment.
These situations almost feel like pixelhunting to me. I was actually reminded of the PS1 game The City of Lost Children, because that's how I was stuck in that one as a child.

And yeah, I know their games have a lot of secrets and hard to find elements in them, but it just doesn't feel very "From" in its execution to me.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Didn't particularly like or dislike it. Some conversations had more substance than others and it was a bit of a bother that you have to stand still, but it does a good job adding to the pile of unique things that make Sekiro what it is.

JUNGLEGAMER

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
I think it should be more intuitive. The game should not show that prompt showing you to eavesdrop, you should figure it out by yourself whenever two or more characters were suspiciously talking or close by.

Mar 29, 2018
It's pretty good, but I think it would be enhanced by having an audio element to let you know there is an eavesdrop to be heard

For instance take the eavesdrop dialogue's audio and loop it muffled at 1/2 volume to let you know a conversation is happening. That way players can think "oh there's a conversation to hear" then take cover and listen to it.

There are some spoilerey eavesdrops in the game that are like... you could play the game 6 times walking past the "eavesdrop point" repeatedly and never know there was a conversation to listen to, because it demands a certain position/mechanic

As it's currently implemented, it's still good and clever but doesn't feel very immersive or natural, it's like a weirder version of MGS1-3's CODEC calls, but with randoms

Status
Not open for further replies.